Aa
A
A
Close
Avatar universal
HCV treatment with latent TB?
Hi all,
I am considering getting the treatment (Interferon and Ribavarin) after having had a mild case of Hep C for 30 yrs now.  My liver is now considered betw. stage 2 and 3 of the disease process based on ultrasound.
However, I have latent TB, evidently picked up in my childhood from a sick aunt.
I am middle aged, so it's not generally advisable to get the TB treatment ( the drug is "INH"-- particularly toxic to the liver).  But--but because HCV tx causes immuno suppression,one is considerably more vulnerable to TB.
I am waiting on a new tb skin test (I"m sure it'll be positive, it always has been) and then, once confirmed again, I really am not sure what to do. Any ideas?  Anyone else encounter this?
The doc said something about taking the INH (up to 9 mos) before the HCV tx.  But normally INH is not recommended for anyone over 35 or anyone with liver damage.  And I didn't really want to delay the HCV tx at this point.
Thanks for any ideas/experience/information.
Arjayo
Cancel
5 Answers
Page 1 of 1
87972 tn?1322664839
I’m sorry, I’m unfamiliar with coinfection between TB and HCV. However, the thing that caught my eye was when you mentioned your fibrosis has been determined via ultrasound. While U/S scans are valuable for many applications, they can’t determine hepatic fibrosis with any degree of accuracy.

The percutaineous liver biopsy remains the gold standard for determining stage and grade of liver disease. There are several alternatives available now, including non-invasive serum tests, as well as something known as Fibroscan; this is yet to be approved by the U.S. FDA though.

Good luck; perhaps someone else will chime in with more information for you soon,

Bill
Comment
Cancel
87972 tn?1322664839
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
568322 tn?1370169040
Treatment for hepatitis C is not recommended while taking medications for TB.  I once took care of somebody who was treating her TB...and I called the drug comapny and asked whether she could start treatment for Hep C and they said no.  

1.  Because TB meds are hard on the liver and Hep C meds can cause liver failure.  Add both together and the risk would be higher.

2.  Because if your liver enzymes go up, you wouldn't be able to tell which med is causing it, the one for Hep C or the one for TB.

3.  Because Hep C meds cause immune suppression so the TB may not go away because of it.

BTW, you don't do a skin test for TB if all the other tests were positive.  It can cause a severe skin reaction.  Instead, you do Chest X rays.

Re: ultrasound...it can tell if there's cancer, but it cannot tell you what Stage you have.

Co
Comment
Cancel
568322 tn?1370169040
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Avatar universal
Hi

have you ever had treatment for TB?....as a child you may have tested positive for the Mantoux skin test but that doesn't mean you were infected by TB. It was common for anyone who tested positive to be treated for TB regardless of whether they were actually infected or latent carriers. If you have previously had treatment for TB, even as a latent carrier then hep c tx should be ok.

the risk for hep c sufferers is that the latent infection could be activated by the tx. This is because the immune system is so geared to fighting the virus that it lets down its guard for bacterial and fungal infections. TB is a bacterial infection.

This subject definitely requires investigation by your dr who may refer you to an infectious diseases specialist.

good luck
alex
Comment
Cancel
Avatar universal
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
1117750 tn?1307390169
an us scan can show the two ends of the scale, ie a healhy liver without damage or extremely mild or severe ie cirossis, nothing in between, ie mild medium or medium heavy all looks very similar if not the same
Comment
Cancel
1117750 tn?1307390169
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
1253246 tn?1332076910
I am in the very same situation that you are in.I have a latent TB infection and was also diagnosed with Hep C recently.When I asked my doc about this situation she says she has to  research it.I want to get the hep c treatment but i also dont want the tb to activate because of the meds.I have no cirossis,stage 1,grade 1 fibrosis.Now I think Ill maybe put off the hep tx for awhile until I can get more info.I dont want to put myself into a situation that will really make me ill.What to do?
Comment
Cancel
1253246 tn?1332076910
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Your Answer
Avatar universal
Answer
Know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Submit Answer
A
A
Recent Activity
317787 tn?1463415842
Blank
Dee1956 uploaded a new photo
7 hrs ago
317787 tn?1463415842
Blank
Dee1956 commented on Belle313's status
May 29
18227105 tn?1463525612
Blank
Blank
Weight Tracker
Track your weight over time
Start Tracking Now
Top Hepatitis Answerers
163305 tn?1333672171
Blank
Rural Mural, CA
683231 tn?1438659664
Blank
Auburn, WA
Avatar universal
Blank
446474 tn?1446351282
Blank
San Francisco, CA
317787 tn?1463415842
Blank
DC
1815939 tn?1377995399
Blank
Hepatitis C Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488 tn?1310696703
Blank
Marathon Running Done Over Many Yea...
05/15 by John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank
233488 tn?1310696703
Blank
New Article on Multifocal IOL vs &q...
05/15 by John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank
748543 tn?1463449675
Blank
TMJ/TMJ The Connection Between Teet...
01/15 by Hamidreza Nassery , DMD, FICOI, FAGD, FICCMOBlank
Top Hepatitis Answerers
163305 tn?1333672171
Blank
Rural Mural, CA
683231 tn?1438659664
Blank
Auburn, WA
Avatar universal
Blank
446474 tn?1446351282
Blank
San Francisco, CA
317787 tn?1463415842
Blank
DC
1815939 tn?1377995399
Blank