HCV
US Army Vietnam era Vet diagnosed in the mid 90's with HCV. Recently found I am at stage 1 fibrosis. Have stopped drinking and have never had symptoms. Failed twice on Interfuron once peg once once regular. Will be checking for esophageal varices and fetoprotein. Frankly  ... I am concerned with how many years I may have left. Also, wondering when may protease inhibitors be available. Ans I believe I may have contracted the disease during AIT at Fort sam Houston when pressurized vaccination were given and the so called gun had a lot of blood on it. I was also a RN and possibly was exposed to frank blood. Any comments are welcome  [Less]  
HCA
If you are stage one fibrosis you won't have varices.
Protease inhibitors out in 2011.
Nothing in your post suggests life threatening condition so you are likely to have normal life expectancy unless you deteriorate.
Thanks for the encouraging words I wondered why my Gastroenterologist ordered the test. Are you familiar with the air gun style delivery system used in the 70's?
HCA
Only insofar as I have read about the air gun and the high incidence of Hep C among Veterans who were innoculated by this method.
You should try one of the websites such as :

http://www.hcvets.com/

There is a  quite a bit of information regarding air guns and their use in the military there as well as many links for vets..

Here is a good page concerning the topic of the devices themselves:

http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics/Jet_injectorBest of luck, ML
I believe if you look back thru my posts you will find that I asked the same question concerning the air gun-hand cranked and left everyone bleeding then the next person stepped up and got his dose.  I also had a Tattoo in Okinawa on my way to Nam and also had a blood transfusion there so any 3 of these incidences could have been the cause.  From what I have learned from the Yodas (and I mean this with all respect) in this forum stage 1 is not much to worry about and can even reverse.  I have read that salt and fatty foods are a no no-nitrites and alcohol bad.  
Study was done in Barcelona coincidentally I have been taking Hyzaar for about 2 years and took Cozaar for about 3 months. I am so computer ignorant I can't do a link, easily googled. Just thought you guys may be interested is anyone else on a angiotensin for HTN? no MD ever told me of the potential benefits I don't think they knew. I was reading a prison research on the increased incidence of HCV in prisons when I found out. If you guys already knew just tell me to shut up, thanks, Paul

There is evidence on the beneficial effects of the administration of angiotensin II type 1 (AT1) receptors antagonists on liver fibrosis in hepatic stellate cells, experimental models of liver fibrosis in rodents and limited information in chronic hepatitis C with mild fibrosis.

The purpose of this study is to investigate the effect of long-term administration of oral Losartan, an AT1 receptor antagonist, on liver fibrogenesis in patients with chronic hepatitis C and fibrosis F2-F3 (METAVIR score).
Should have noted last two paragraphs are from the study.
yes I was in army, was given swine flu shot was in service 74-77
Price m