Hepatitis C Community
HELP- going thru treatment and dealing with a work leave

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

anyone else experience any difficulty getting paid short term disability when you couldn't work while going thru treatment?  between my doctor and my leave administrator, i am soo stressed that i'm about ready to quit my job and stop the treatment.  i am in my 8th week of 24 week treatment and feel sick and unable to do my job on a daily basis.  there seems to be such a disconnect and lack of concern and consideration for how i am feeling everyday.  i am either going to stop the treatment or i am going to go to another doctor.  apparently my doctor saying that i am suffering from fatigue and flu like symptoms, to name a few, is not good enough...help from anyone who has had this same experience with a leave of absence - short term disability during treatment.  thanks.
there seems to be such a disconnect and lack of concern and consideration for how i am feeling everyday
________________

I hope you do not have to stop treatment. You are right. If your doctor won't support your decision that you are unable to work then you will have a hard time since you need him to confirm and documentation your debilitating symptoms

Is there a way to make your doctor understand what is happening to you is far worse, different or severe than fatigue or flu-like symptoms?  If so this could be the way to manage and treat your side effects.

It sounds as if you do not quite have the level of support and understanding around you while you treat. It is odd since we basically look the same so people tend to expect the same level of performance. Many of us do not want to come of as whiners or high maintenance so we keep how we feel to ourselves. This is what is hopefully a short period of your life that does not have to be quite the struggle that it is.

I do not know your circumstances but you sound major stressed out and overwhelmed. Something has to give and I hope it is not your treatment. I think and hope that if you can address what is happening in this area that perhaps you will not need your short term disability.

To specifically address short term disability: It does take a degree of planning to file and get that ball rolling. I would start with your employee handbook or the HR department as well as getting your doctor on board with what has to happen.

This Guide to Hepatitis & Disability is from the HCVAdvocate site:
http://www.hcvadvocate.org/hepatitis/factsheets_pdf/Disability_Guide.pdf
It's hard to read and decipher all the info when you're so tired. Have you considered asking a friend or family member to help you navigate this? I know it's lonely when you feel so sick and can barely hold your head up, much less figure out how to keep going to pay for treatment.
The Guide is great! Get someone to help you understand it. You've made it this far. I too hate to see you stop now. Karen:)
The treatment is meant to save your life. You have to "stick it out" to survive. I am a delivery driver for a small laundry. I chose to work through the treatment, I think it helped me through it, rather than laying around and feeling miserable. I will tell you that a treatment that recently became legal in Colorado helps alot with the side effects ;-/