Hepatitis C Community
HIGH enzymes

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

HIGH enzymes

Aged 38.

Feb 13th this year I did a blood test/sonagraph because of bad diarohea...result was liver was enlarged and blood test fine...but recommened to do both again...second time 7 days later blood test show reading 38 for liver enzyme but normal size liver. Then I had to do a ONE MONTH NO ALCHOL ban and then re-did blood test and now my enzyme reading is down to 30 but according to docotor this is NOT low enough and should have came down quicker.

I feel fine and wonder is this really necessary again to re-do test and stop drinking for a month.

Hi, just new here and just wanted to get in touch with folks who are expressing concern over elevated liver enzymes...just want to pass on some information your dr may be missing, as we had this experience recently. Although there are always underlying causes for elevated liver enzymes, it is a red flag for drs to start investigation. Right off the bat they should be checking for a common genetic disorder called hemochromatosis (HHC) It is hereditary but can also be secondary to other liver disease, such as hep C. This is the most common and rarely diagnosed disorder in N America affecting white people...and no one...not even drs know or are looking for this!! It causes your body to store iron, and does so in all your organs, tissues, joints, predominantly the liver and heart but causes diabetes, arthritis, liver cancer and cirrhosis, the list is endless, and is life-threatening when not found and treated early. Usually people find out after they have symptomatic for up to 10 years for muscle and joint pain, heart problems, fatigue and exhaustion, mental confusion and memory loss. It is astounding. My husband was just diagnosed and the genetic screening confirmed it is hereditary. It runs in families and early detection is absolutely key and treatment manages the disease and prevents further organ and tissue damage. There is so much information out there about it, but it is not being tested for. The tests you need to ask for are...Iron saturation, ferritin, iron serum and TIBC (total iron binding capacity). If your ALT and AST  and GGT are elevated at all, especially if they are high and you are not a drinker, but your dr thinks you are, then get this simple blood test done. It could save your life, prevent further damage and save your family too as it runs in families. So any family history of heart problems, liver, cancer, diabetes, mental loss, thyroid problems, it is well worth doing this for yourself to make sure. Especially if you are of Northern European, Irish, Scottish.

Take care all. Feel free to contact me with other questions. We've become quite well-informed as to all the associations with this disease.