Hepatitis C Community
HOW CAN ONE GET HEPITS C, I NEED ALL THE WAYS

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

My neice was sexually abused by a man that has hepits c. She is 6 years old and I need to know if she might have it and if so how can I help keep it from the other kids she is around. Can you get it by drinking after someone, kissing, or is it just sex and needles and blood. Please someone help me understand. I spoke to a retried RN and she said that she was not sure, but that my neice might not be infected by it because of the fact she had had her school shots and that keeps them from getting it. Please if anyone has any answers please post them so that I can understand this. Thank you and God Bless you all.

I'm sorry about your niece  & her having to deal with such problems at her age. Pls go to this excellent web site to learn more about HCV....

http://janis7hepc.com/index.htm

Best of luck,
Ben
So sorry to hear about your niece, thats awful..Hepatitis C is  blood to blood transmission. Currently there is no shot for hepatitis C, the nurse was probably referring to the vaccine for Hep A/B. There are many ways to contract Hep C, but remember they have to be blood borne. I hope this helps you.
Most common transmission of Hep C is blood transfusions (before they tested the blood supply) and sharing needles.

Less common is sexual transmission unless trauma and blood is involved. Sharing tooth brushes, nail files and other personal items that might contain blood are also possible ways of transmission.

You cannot get Hepatitis C by kissing, hugging, or drinking after someone.

I doubt very much your daughter contracted Hepatitis C, but you really should get her tested so you won't have to worry. Just a simple blood test.

Very sorry about what happened to her.
This is the saddest post I've read so far. I can't imagine that a baby could be raped without skin damage. I pray she overcomes this and has no diseases on top of everything else. She certainly needs to be tested.

I have been contemplating this question since 1967 - well hepB until I was dx w/ hepC last year. On the one hand they say 40% are unknown source (is that for type 1?), on the other they seem to stick with transfusions & transplants as the reason. For hepB they include sex. How come they never include various blood flinging activities, like being in a violent household? When my ex was around it was a regular thing. The last time he bit me leaving 10 puncture wounds. Wouldn't be unfathomable for him to have had sores in his mouth. Once I realized his lifestyle I got tested for STD's & that's when they found the hepC. Don't know how or when I got it.