HEPATITIS C
COMMUNITY
HR, please comment. PPC-Thyroid
by copyman, Nov 25, 2007
after researching PPC i see that it is a Soy product. there has been some negative things said about Soy and its effect on the thyroid. since HCV can affect the thyroid would adding Soy further damage it? thanks
Member Comments (52)
Avatar_dr_m_tn
by Hepatitis ResearcherBlank, Nov 25, 2007
PPC preparations from soy should normally be suficiently pure, so as to not carry any of the soy isoflavones with it. Thus there are no general " soy' considerations to be taken into account, with the exception of allergies, since trace amounts of the non PPC soy ingredients will always be present.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
All of these questions  of course open up a huge line of practical and theoretical considerations, way too complex to cover in these limited circumstances:

So the the "negative impact" of soy  - presumably isoflavones - on thyroid function is one of these topics ;

Soy foods are a traditional staple of Asian diets but because of their purported health benefits they have become popular in recent years among non-Asians, especially postmenopausal women. There are many bioactive soybean components that may contribute to the hypothesized health benefits of soy but

most attention has focused on the isoflavones, which have both hormonal and nonhormonal properties.

However, despite the possible benefits concerns have been expressed that soy may be contraindicated for some subsets of the population. One concern is that soy may adversely affect thyroid function and interfere with the absorption of synthetic thyroid hormone. Thus, the purpose of this review is to evaluate the relevant literature and provide the clinician guidance for advising their patients about the effects of soy on thyroid function. In total, 14 trials (thyroid function was not the primary health outcome in any trial) were identified in which the effects of soy foods or isoflavones on at least one measure of thyroid function was assessed in presumably healthy subjects; eight involved women only, four involved men, and two both men and women.

With only one exception, either no effects or only very modest changes were noted in these trials.

Thus, collectively the findings provide little evidence that in euthyroid, iodine-replete individuals, soy foods, or isoflavones adversely affect thyroid function.

In contrast, some evidence suggests that soy foods, by inhibiting absorption, may increase the dose of thyroid hormone required by hypothyroid patients. However, hypothyroid adults need not avoid soy foods. In addition, there remains a theoretical concern based on in vitro and animal data that in individuals with compromised thyroid function and/or whose iodine intake is marginal soy foods may increase risk of developing clinical hypothyroidism. Therefore, it is important for soy food consumers to make sure their intake of iodine is adequate.

Avatar_dr_m_tn
Sorry, I should have placed the lower portion of the previous post  into quotes, since it is a quotation from a review, that I structured a little to make it more transparent.
by jmjm530, Nov 25, 2007
I wonder if these Hawiian studies have been followed up on? I know they gave me slight pause when I started adding more soy to my diet.

"The study suggested a strong
link between (soy)
and faster aging

http://starbulletin.com/2000/04/03/news/story1.html
by copyman, Nov 25, 2007
Thanks for the reply. i just received the hepatopro supplement and good to know it will not affect the thyroid. if someone is "hyper" not "hypo" could soy product possible help them?

also could you tell me what the ALA & TMG is in the list you provided in an earlier thread. thanks again

PPC/NAC/ALA/TMG/SAme/Silymarin/Catechin/Resvera/(Curcumin?)
Avatar_dr_m_tn
ALA = alpha lipoic acid= Thioctic acid = Lipoic acid= Liponsaeure. Do not use Dihydrolipoic acid, as it is very hard on the stomach, otherwise it would be better.

TMG= trimethylglycin= betaine=         DMG(dimethylglycin)+1methylgroup  
A methyldonor as required for many synthetic reactions in the liver.

If somebody is hyperthyreoid, he will need a good endocrinologist, not play around with self supplement treatment. Hyperthyreodism is typically an autoimmune disorder, with antithyroid autoantibodies reacting with the thyroid TSH receptor as if they were mimicking TSH, leading to uncontrolled, runaway activation....
by merryBe, Nov 26, 2007
just a couple simple remark here, if PPC could help the liver I'd rather keep an eye on cholesterol and also adjust my throid dose as nessessary since I am hypo and since thyroid meds are and that's better than losing one's liver..

Hyper and hypo are both dangerous, even life threatening without treatment so the blood monitoring is important even though some docs understate the dangers to their patients, seriously understate.

HR's mention of iodine is noteworthy, particularly as it relates to hypo I have some small knowledge. One absolutely needs treatment and monitoring for these disease...and it all depends on why the thyroid is shutting down as to whether what's below will aide you;

because mine was diagnosed as not autoimmune but plainhypo to begin with,
my method was to use a daily capsule of kelp powder (not tablets not much in those) to keep iodine and trace mineral supply up. This method actually returned my thyroid to normal function according to testing for many years, and should not be underestimated for it's preventative benefits.
However, a deficiency is somewhat different than what can cause autoimmune....and of course now they say HCV can be a contributor to all autoimmune stuff......not all autoimmune is strictly definciency related though. Some is genetic, mine was radioactive as well as HCV, myriad causes exist for what triggers and sustains autoimmune response.

This therapy though, the kelp,  did help me, but only worked because part of my equation was having "Northwest hypothyroidism" (local diet in iodine poor soil produces the most cases nationwide due to lack of dietary iodine). However, many locals, and many diets in the states are especially low in iodine, hence hypothyroidism (low) is the most common of the thyroid ailments.
At one time, this was such a health problem here in Oregon that it was made the LAW they add iodine to all the salt,  as this was the easist way to cure all the people. (Everyone uses salt in foods and cooking).....but alas, the health nuts (who didn't do their homework) pissed and moaned and made them remove the iodine claiming the state was trying to poison them and remove their rights. (yeah, the right to be unnessessarily sick)....anyway.... Many people are low on this mineral, more now than ever. Personally, I think the addition of iodine vs. a whole other medication regime was wisdom.

Not sure for the non allergic that the small amount of soy would be problematic
would it HR?
Considering there's so many other sources of soy everyday many don't even know they get...
like in hydrolized protein, corn chips, you name it, unless one has a known soy allergy it hardly seems this small of an amount would present a problem.
by JRenquist, Nov 27, 2007
Seems a bit of a toss-up.  My thyroid died after mistakenly being killed by interferon ( didn't work on the HCV, though).  I do eat a lot of soy, although I have heard that there could possibly be thyroid and other isues with it.  I eat it because (I like it and) I don't eat meat.  I don't NOT eat meat because of health reasons, but  I think that I've read that red meat can be pretty taxing on the liver.  So maybe it balances out?
by copyman, Nov 27, 2007
if i had to pick one to keep it would be the liver. can live without the thyroid but not the liver :-)