Hepatitis C Community
HR NAC

A community of people with Hepatitis C to guide and support your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: diagnosis, current treatments, side effects, research studies, and clinical trials. To communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit Hepatitis Social.

HR NAC

Several months ago you discussed the possible benefits of n-acetyl cysteine in regards to solvent exposure. I've found two similar products - n-acetyl cysteine and n-acetyl-l-cysteine. The difference is...?
Avatar dr m tn
All n-acetylcystein has to be n-acetyl-lefttype mirror image isomer-cysteine.  Some amino acids are sold as racemates ( a mixture of right and left0 Not good at all here, since thy cysteine shuttled into the cell using the N-acetylform is needed for the enzymatic synthesis of glutathion intracellularly- enzymes are striclty stereospecific for their substrates. So only the L-form is bioactive, the d-form or the racemate ( the mix of L and D) possibly toxic.
But most suppliers will not mention the L-form, it should be a given. But beware!

Of note the D-form would still have the antioxidant power attributable to NAC as such. It is a matter of debate, if glutathione synthesis or the direct antioxidant power of the thiol compound NAC is the prevailing beneficial mechanism. The evidence leans towards the glutathione synthesis, and i can confidently tell you that glutathione intracellular and extracellular content will indeed increase with NAC as our direct lab measurements of glutathione levels after NAC supplementation in humans have clearly shown.
Yeah, I was wondering too. Just bought some at Wild Oats. I guess I better read the bottle. I forgot where I saw it but supposedly they use NAC for Actiomenaphen overdoses in the ER.
Avatar dr m tn
Fourty grams of oral NAC arre given to persons with acute liver failure due to acetaminophen overdose, one of the worldwide leading causes of acute liver failure and death. The FDA has recently approved an intravenous form of NAC, because patients with acute liver failure are naturally already nauseated and could/often do  vomit the huge dose of NAC. 40 grams!
Its rapid introduction is life saving in this setting and gives some testimony to its power to stabilize the liver against oxidative damage, which is the cause of liver failure in these cases. All the glutathione is used up to fight the ROS produced by the acetaminophen.. Then liver cells start dying by the billions.
So, considering this well worked out piece of clinical wisdom, very few would say that NAC is possibly toxic to the liver.
Inthis context as mentioned before, the HCV core protein is particularly toxic to hepatocytes by introducing oxidative stress in hepatocyte mitochondria. That stress might reduce some of the intracellular antiviral innate mechanism against HCV.
Thanks!
Avatar n tn
"that stess might reduce some of the intracellular antiviral innate mechanism against hcv"

this is a very interesting insight. speaks volumes for nutrient antioxidant measures for people with hcv.  i guess? this would also be quite a good supplement during treatment?
me guesses it's connect the dots time.... :)
I started GNC NAC after my AST ALT were 80/250 after surgery with NAFLD.  I began to feel much stronger after a few days on it.  I was bedridden for a month with exhaustion, dizziness, brain fog, itchiness.
Do I have permanent liver function damage and brain damage?

there's a study that says that NAC works for non-tyenol acute liver failure too
what is the safest max dose of NAC?  I'm going to go on it at 9g day for a month.  thanks very much!
how many liver cells have I lost for life?  I was never alcoholic
I think I have NAC deficiency and absorption disease, maybe a genetic mutation.  I have brain fog, my liver is damaged and the ends of my hair are discolored sometimes.
I see that an extra acetyl group is attached to the nitrogen atom.  

I took 72g of NAC over like 5 days and am ok.  Is the GNC or other store NAC the safe L form or do I need to read reviews?  oral glutathione is also sold but is this not absorbed by the gut?  

cysteine is supposed to be absorbed from food sources like animal protein but I don't know why I have symptoms
I feel so much better after taking 3g of NAC especially after the nausea of supplements and medications
I would speak to a specialist (hepatologist) before ever taking moe than the suggested amount of an OTC supplement. In this case I believe 600 mg. In this case, more probably wouldn't hurt, but you still need to run everything by your doctor.

The form of NAC I currently take is a Rx: CerefolinNAC
how exactly does NAC help brain function, by raising glutathione levels or is it involved in methylation?
Day 5
2 hrs ago by Amber98
Sandman2 commented on Anxiety disorder - am...
Dee1956 DA DA DA!!! 105 and a half... Comment
Track your weight over time