Hepatitis C Community
HRT

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

HRT

Anyone have info on HRT & HEPC. My wife has been told that she must come off HRT due to having HEPC. Coming off HRT can have real problems for her, but what are the effects on HEPC if she stays on HRT?
Regards
Jeff & Cerese
My Dr. just changed me from premarin to the patch to start treatment(tx). Is it her G.I. or primary that told her to quit? I stopped the premarin on my own for a month when I heard that it was bad for my liver, but after a month of night sweats and attitude, I talked to my G.I. and he put me on patches. Tx. affects you mentally bad enough that he didn't want anything else messing w/ my state of mind. Ask her G.I. about the patches and good luck to you both.   Joni
I was on Femhart when I started treatment. After several months I was feeling so bad and was taking a number of other meds for side effects, I decided to quit the HRT because I did not feel like it was possible to feel any worse. Both my gp and liver Dr. said Femhart was okay. I have been off HRT for 5 months and off tx for 2 weeks. I am having hot flashes but I feel so much better being off combo tx I'm going to wait a while before treating the hot flashes. I did whatever I could to saty on treatment but had wanted to get off Hrt ever since all the bad publicity.
Take care,
Barb
Hey! Guys
Can't thank you enough for your input, any help is better than none and your comments have at least given us something to think about My wife is on HRT called OESTRADIOL VALERATE. Will have to talk to our GP about patches. The comment regardsing who took her off HRT, well her GP first, then yesterday she asked her Hepatologist and he said to stay off until the Liver Biopsy has been analysed.
Thanks again, all of you.
Jeff & Cerese
You won't find anything in the literature to address the issue of HRT and tx.  I asked my doc about it on Weds. and he told me that HRT can impede bile flow somewhat and that might make a person more jaundiced if they already were slightly jaundiced.  HRT does slow bile flow and that may be the reason for holding off re-starting HRT until after the biopsy.  My doc felt that there was no direct contraindication for ceasing HRT in order to do tx.

good luck,
BobK
You posted earlier that, altho you went into the icu w/liver failure, your bx showed early stage scarring.  Is that right?  Could you elaborate on that for me?  I never bx, b/feel so good I am begining to wonder if I might have less damage than I assumed.  Thanks.  Post anywhere and I'll find it.
I never commented on my biopsy results, I'm sorry if there was a misunderstanding. I have "barely" compensated cirrhosis and my 1st G.I. was going to send me to Denver to be put on transplant list until he saw my last bloodwork and it showed I didn't "qualify" anymore. Sorry this wasn't the news you were looking for.        My best Joni
That was exactly what I was looking for.  I'm beginning to think that being hep c free for more than 18mo, and maintaining a healthy life style is allowing all the minor damage-body wide-to repair itself.  Perhaps the irreversable damage is not nearly as extensive as the icu staff 1st thought.

Being in a very small rural town, the staff later admitted they had never had to deal w/hepc that advanced before.  Esp in a lifelong middle class housewife.

That's why I had to travel over a mt range to find a doc who could and would treat any hep c patient.