Hepatitis C Community
HRT and Hep C

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

HRT and Hep C

My friend is not on-line, so I am posting this question for her. I researching menopause and HRT for her, I found one statement about HRT being in question for those with previous liver problems. My friend had hep C and was treated with intensive interferon in  a test program. The treatment was successful and was over 7 years ago and she no longer has any symptoms and her numbers are within normal limits. It should be okay for her to take HRT, don't you think? Of course, with this information, she will mention the Hep C with her present Internist. But, she won't be able to see her for at lest a week and it would be reassuring to have some answers now. She is suffering badly from the mood swing-anger, tears, fatigue, etc., that she has only today had to admit it was menopause and been ready to speak to her doctor. I told her several months ago I thought she may be going through menopause and want to talk to her doc about it, but she had to be ready.
Thanks to anyone who answers.
She can get hormone levels done by her doctor to confirm that she is menopausal. I have not seen any connection between hormone replacement therapy and HCV in all my on-line research.  HRT has risks of its own and I'd consider it very carefully before starting it.