Hepatitis C Community
Hair thinning/loss

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Hair thinning/loss

I am on week 21 of treatment.  I started treatment with thick,thick dark hair medium length hair.  I would" shed" like most people do.  NOW I can't even run may fingers through my hair without having a bunch of hair in my hands. Forget brushing it, I can make a doll with all the hair.  My hair is so thin.  Anyone else having this problem?
It is a very common side effect of interferon you can use the search this community slot and pull up lots of threads on this and how many have dealt with it
Hair loss to varying degrees is very common as hrsepw mentioned.  Also, I've seen many mention about curly or wavy hair straightening.  Mine was thick and wavy, now very straight and thinner.  Not terribly obvious to others, but I notice.  Actually, I don't mind the change as long as I don't lose too much more. ;-)

My understanding is that after trt it grows back as normal, sometimes even thicker.  I've seen many gals mention using wigs or weaves with significant hair loss.  I'm sure some will cue in give their input.   Hope trt is going well for you.
Hi nicci72, my hair like yours was super super thick before I started tx. I actualy use to pay to have it thined out when getting my hair cut. About 2 or 3 months give or take through my tx my hair started coming out pretty bad now I've lost over half of my hair. I dred taking a shower because it literally comes out in clumps when I shower. My hair is so thin, have bald spots and my hair line has receaded. It looks horable although I will trade all of my hair for SVR! That's what I've kept in mind. It helps a little : )
Good luck on with the rest of your tx!
I lost about 40% of my hair, and it really became noticeable right before I went back to work Tuesday! Hate it! Lost a lot more in this treatment than I did in 48 weeks in 2001. Hang in there, it will grow back ( I hope :))
Interferon makes lots of people's hair fall out.
Mostly it grows back the same, sometimes it changes some.

A lot of mine fell out the first time I did tx.
At first it grew back like fine baby hair, before returning to its normal thickness.

It's falling out again, and I know it will grow back but I still don't like it.
Mine has been noticeably falling out since around week 13 or so. Its awful. I asked the doc for a miracle cure and she said I could try biotin, which I am, but she didn't look to hopeful, think she was trying to make me feel better.  

I am on week 18. Six more weeks of this at this rate is just not good. sigh. Admire everyone that is able to handle this so well, trying to also take it with such grace,  
Ive been shedding for a long time.  Hair coming in slowly with the gray.  I am at week 33 starting tomorrow and it seems like the hair has slowed down some but still coming bout.  I am going to let it come back in natural.  Have always wanted to see what my real hair looks like.  Ive been dying it for decades.   I have finally gotten over it.  Put what will fit in a skinny pony stub and pin the rest of it down so it wont fly straggling all over the place. I am tall so fortunately not many people can see the real balding showing on top.  
Best of luck with that.  I am just going with what most are saying here, comes back better than ever!  Thats what Im talkin about!
hi there.  my hair started falling out around week 12.  it stopped falling out about 3 weeks ago.  i've lost about 30% so far.  i have 23 weeks more but i don't mind.  i have my eye on the big prize.  SVR!!!  happy holidays.  belle
Oh yeah I had thick hair too, and lots lots of it,,,, I feel almost back to normal 5 months post treatment the hair itself is a little finer, but I'm liking it......mine kept falling out even a little after treatment but it did stop and now its back,, and I'm UND at 5 months post so dont worry,,,
Hi.  I'm in week 17 with VIC.  Have a bit more shedding but not too much.  Problem now is itchy scalp, extremely dry hair (not normal for me) and my hair is tangled all the way down to my scalp and has started to mat (yeah, quite the look!).  I am sitting here right now with Mayonaisse and Olive Oil in my hair, as a deep conditioner.  If this doesn't help, I'm seriously considering cutting it off.  Hope yours gets better!  My tx nurse told me to have my hairstylist have a look to see if there is something he can suggest.  So check with yours and/or a beauty supply store maybe, to see if they know anything.  Oh!  And sleep on a satin pillowcase, if you're not already.
I lost about 40% of my hair the last time on 60 weeks of SOC. I started out with fine and somewhat thin hair, so I really couldn't afford to lose so much. My sister is a stylist, and she recommended Nioxin brand shampoo and conditioner (I think it helped a little, but it didn't do nearly as much as I wished it would) and she recommended shorter cuts, which did help a lot. My hair looks fuller when it isn't weighed down by length. I started with long hair and first went to a chin length bob, then later to very short cut. I'm now on week 9 of the triple tx and I got my hair bobbed about a week ago. It's an emotional boost to get a really good haircut, so splurge In a high-end place with really talented stylists if you can afford it.
Thank you guys for the boost! We're all keeping our eye on what's important - SVR. But I still have to work w/ high school students and hate the hair loss. It flies off my head and is in every room of the house and my classroom. I've steadily lost 2/3 of my hair also. Getting worse every day. It was thick before starting tx in July.
I took the plunge and bought a wig yesterday. My daughter and I had a blast trying them on. I can still go without it for a while, but will wear the wig when school starts back.
The itching is bad and I use a lot of oil and treatment. Trouble is, I have to wash daily and that only causes more hair loss. I'm gonna post pics of the new "look". My sisters are very encouraging.
I think the wig thing is gonna be fun. Good luck to all of us! 24 weeks left!
Karen :)
I use WEN 6/13. It's pricey but last a long time. I get it on QVC.com
Don't you just love the hair growth and product ads that targeted this thread?  Kinda creepy how MH recognizes key words and pushes their product advertising.  
Thanks everyone I am glad I am not the only one leaving a trail of hair every were I go. I know all off the side effects are worth it, some are just hard. Thank god for teenage daughters who have helped me and a wonderful fiance who loves me no matter what.  I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday!!!  
I have a tun of wen left because I can't use it. It doesn't get your hair that clean and looks durty right away not to mention the smell is hurendis. You wana throw up open a bottle of wen stick your nose right up to the bottle and there you go. You'll be at the toilet loosing all your food in no time! Really unimpressed with the product also they kept sending and billing me for product after I cansled with them but that's way off subject lol.
Hair loss --Me too.  I read somewhere that by the time you have noticeable hair loss, it is already at 30%.  I figure mine is between 30-40%.  I am at week 18 and it is still coming out daily.  According to my diary from my first treatment it started letting up about week 24.  That doesn't help everyone only treating for 24 weeks, but the fact that it does stop even when you are still on treatment might.  This time it is really bugging my hubby who is about 5" taller than me and looks down to a lot of pink scalp, thin hair and balding spots (more like lots of parts to me) showing.  I use Nioxin too but cannot see that it really helps.
I startEd seeing hair breaking off at week 11. I plan to get it cut shorter soon, I got it cut pre tx but because it now looks thin shorter would be better. I am not concerned, I am hoping it comes back wavy!  That would be nice, it so straight.  What bothers me is I found eyelashes in the sink a few weeks ago. Now that I don't like. I now wear very little eyelash make up and think twice before rubbing eyes.   This will all be over soon....merry Christmas!