Hepatitis C Community
Has anybody got tinnitus due to treatment?

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

I have tinnitus (ringing of the ears) now and think it may be due to interferon based treatment.  Anybody else experience this?
Tags: tinnitus
Yes, my tinnitus got a lot worse on treatment. I did have a little tinnitus prior to treatment but it got really loud during treatment. I had to play music at night to try to drown some of it out and distract me from it. I still have some tinnitus but it is back to the level that I had before treatment, which is not very loud and not bothersome. The tinnitus during Tx was very loud and very bothersome.

I finished Tx Aug. 25th.
hi yep hubby got it for first time in his life also apart fromtinitus everything around him sounded louder then normal his senses seem to hone in on things that normally you wouldnt really hear eg kitchen clock ticking and he to did things to distract himself Hubby finishes tx 9pm England time TONIGHT!
Quite common.....if you type in the search box  "Tinnitus" you will see much discusion on the topc.

From pubmed:

"Very little attention, however, has been paid to auditory acuity. We encountered 3 cases of sudden hearing loss associated with IFN. We then co nducted a prospective study to assess the auditory function of 73 patients receiving IFN. Auditory disability (tinnitus and/or hearing loss) occurred in 32 patients (43.8%) during IFN therapy, among which audiometry documented sensorineural hearing loss in 27 cases (36.9%); 17 (48.6%) of the 35 patients receiving IFN-β had auditory disability, including hearing loss in 13 cases (37.1%), and 15 (39.5%) of 38 patients receiving IFN-α suffered from auditory disability. There was not much difference between the influences of IFN-α and -β. Auditory disability frequently developed in the later stages of treatment, and most patients recovered 7-14 days after the discontinuation of IFN

Given the last sentence ,it seems it has a good chance of dissipating within a short period  of ending tx.  

Best ..

Will
I have had tinnitus and symmetrical hearing loss since the late 80's not long after leaving the Navy. I alway attributed this to the loud machinery noises (as well as the much of the loud music) that I exposed myself to. I finally got hearing aids many years ago and that made a huge difference in my life. Over the years I always noticed that when I was sick with the flu or a virus the tinnitus grew more pronounced. I am now in my 3rd week of treatment and I am noticing the same thing which I also have related to the interferon and the ramp up of my immune system. Knowing this could happen and knowing that I already have hearing loss I scheduled an appointment with my hearing specialist before I started treatment and she will keep tabs on my hearing going forward. I'm hoping for mine to go back to my pre-tx level like Pooh's when I finish. It is very bothersome but I have many years of experience distracting myself from it. Good luck and I'm sure it is only temporary!
yes, me too. Not all the time, but boy, I really notice it when it comes as it is SO loud and takes over everything. Like most of all the other sx, it comes and goes when it feels like it during the day.
All the best to you.
Add one more,done tx.in 2000 and again in 2010.Tinnitus is unbearable at times.     Danny
I have it too.  I'm extremely sensitive to load noises too.  The further away from end of treatment....getting better.
Best to You