Hepatitis C Community
Having failed triple tx. Do my risks increases?

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

I was taken off triple therapy with incivek in week 11 with a VL of 1170. In had been 220 in week 4.  I have had hep C genotype 1A for 30 years with minimal damage and no symptoms.  Have I now awakened the sleeping giant?  Is there increased risk after failed treatment?
Tags: risk, triple
No ..the fact the you treated and did not eradicate the virus will have no effect on incresed fibrosis progression other than te fact that you still have virus
.The way your liver is damaged when HCV infected is a very complex process dependant on many factors.
Studies have been done  and for the most part show no direct correlation between VL and amount of fibrosis progression (however like everything else with HCV there is some controversy on this subject also)

Basically it is the complex interrelation between the virus and your own immune response rather than the direct effect of the virus itself.

That is the very simplified version ,however there are articles and studies that have been done if you are interested in the medical jargon (linked one below)

Good luck..
Will.

http://www.turkgastro.org/text.php?id=2

More medical jargon on hep c and fibrosis progression.

http://www.hawaii.edu/hivandaids/Fibrosis%20And%20Disease%20Progression%20In%20Hepatitis%20C.pdf
Hey Keith ..how ya holding up?
Will
Hey Will, I'm doing ok, definitly ready for EOT, hope all is well on planet Canada.
My husband has been through three failed treatments, and each time his hepatologist has told him that she believes that treating when you have the opportunity does give your liver a break (from Hep C).
Advocate1955
sorry to hear that..hopefully the liver is in good shape and you can get the next generation..I'm finishing the incivek this week , 3 days left, and I am UND- wish i could share it with you-- I hope the new PI's coming out will be more friendly to your immune system
I also could not slay the dragon. I was taken off the triple treatment only after 7 weeks. I needed 3 blood transfusions and had an incident of a spontaneous pneumothorax. I have stage 2,grade 2, genotype 1b, and my viral load was 265,000 before treatment and at 4 weeks during treatment was undetectable. I have been dealing with my RA also and just seem to think that it may just be all about diet and lifestyle. If I can't treat my hep, I can't treat my RA. Any one hear about LDN?  Low Dose Naltrexone ?