Hepatitis C Community
Help Interpretting Test Results

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Help Interpretting Test Results

.I have a question I was hoping someone could help me with.  I was diagnosed with Hep C back in March 2008.  I successfully cleared the virus and completed my treatment in November of 2008.  I have continued to get a Hep C test done every year with good results.  However, I just heard back from the lab today that I had a positive Hep C result, but the quantitative results showed no detectable amounts.  Can someone please explain what this means?  Did the 1st test show positive because I have previously had the infection, or because it the virus is back?  I am very scared and confused because I have 4 children.  Although I have continued to be careful with open wounds, I was not as diligent as I was when I had an active infection.  Thank you to anyone who can help. .
it means that the virus is detected but at a level that is not measurable... so i guess that would be a relapse but that is weird that you would not have any detectable level... i know if you get rid of the virus your blood work will show the hepc antibodies ... i guess your treatment was just interferon and riba? you siad you have had tests done every year with good results do you have copies of these results did they say undetectable or detectable but not measureable?
If you have been SVR since 2008 the % for relapse is extremly low, I don't have the exact stat but I think it is less than 1%. IMO the more likely explaination is confusion on the understanding of the test results and how they are reported. I would call the lab and ask for an explaination of the results.
I have continued to get a Hep C test done every year with good results.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you mean you have had continuous PCR tests that show UND?

If you had a quant. test done that showed UND. then you are still UND ,however possibly they ran an antibodies test that showed positive which it  always will even thought you have cleared the virus.

If that is the case there is nothing to worry about and no further action needs to be taken.
Congrats on your SVR..
Will.

Nighthawk61 commented on mishymoshymarcy's status
10356 commented on dominosarah's status
Feb 05
Jazmine6 Cleared the virus. It's a ... Comment
Feb 05
Track your weight over time