Hepatitis C Community
Help! List foods that are tolerable while on tx!

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Can everyone PLEASE submit foods and drinks that you can tolerate while on tx?
i love natural whole grain OATMEAL, with  a little stevia,
CHICKEN SOUP,just noodles,chicken broth, celery and carrots, chopped grilled chicken, a little salt.
BROWN RICE
WILD RICE
MARTZETTI BLUE CHEES DRESSING is good on lettuce
Master of mixes lite STRAWBERRY DAIQUIRI / MARGARITA MIX, I freeze it with crushed ice in my bullet blender, 20 cal per serving!
I tolerated ice cream and fudgicles. A lot :)
Lobster
Interesting to see if we all have different reactions, I tried lobster bisque and it was horrible, which I love. And chocolate for me is nasty now, and because of my swollen tounge right now ice cream burns. I ate ice cream and too much sugar to get the nasty tastes out of my mouth and ended up with candida, I think I OD'd since I have tried to eat so healthy before tx. I look forward to ice cream again!
The first time around, I ate a cheesecake a week for about 2 months.
This was while I was only eating noodles and potato pancakes.
Plain cheese cake? What kind of noodles? First time? What about now?
all I feel like eating is pudding (I make my own, chocolate, caramel, banana) and plain pasta with butter, salt.. mac+cheese is yum too.  I ate so healthy before tx.. oh well only temporary
ramen noodles, yes I know ick but seems like thats all I can keep down, crackers, some chips, I have several glasses in front of me with all kinds of stuff, 7up, ginger ale, coke, water, ice, orange juice I just have to decide at any given moment what I can tolerate. Mac and cheese not so good for me and mashed potatoes not good either its trial and error on what I can eat lol looks like a buffet on my coffee table and a drug store lol oh well...
For breakfast I would drink a whole milk protein shake with peanut butter, easy to put down. Joe
Chicken broth
Chicern noodle soup
Chicken rice soup
Greek yogurt
Chedder cheese
Avacado
Liver pate (it has 25 gams of fat in it per serving) with buttered saltines
Scrambled eggs with chedder cheese
Ground chicken and diced apples meatloaf
Whipping cream almost with everything to get the fat up
Fresh raspberries and whipping cream
Whole grain bread with lots of butter
Fresh orange juice

I am only slightly nauseated and I know my list would not work for anyone who is really nauseated. If I feel nauseated I eat something with salt in it, like the chicken broth or chicken soup and saltines.
Oh, I forgot to mention Eden Soy soy milk. Again, not for all, but maybe for some as it has a lot of protien in it.
Whole milk every day, sometimes with chocolate syrup in it
cereal with fruit, especially bananas
definitely bananas
soups, chicken soup, noodle soup, matzo ball soup
mashed or baked potatoes with butter
soft boiled eggs and 5-grain toast (with butter)
Greek yogurt with fruit and granola
oatmeal
Amy's single serve spinach pizza (yummy)
Marie Callender's Chicken Pot Pie
Mac and cheese
grilled cheese sandwiches
black olives, for some reason -- go figure!

I'm having trouble eating some foods which i love: almond/peanut butter, avocados, salads, green veggies, tuna fish -- Prior to tx, i had no problems... :(

It's all temporary, tho -- isn't it????   LOL

Chicken ramen noodle soup with 3 eggs beat up in them   YUMMMMMM
Bagle with lots of fluffy cream cheese.
Scrambled eggs with cheese
Yogart, lots of yogart
Yes, Dreamcat , for some reason Ive got this black olive thing going on too !  
i like black olives too. I think it is the salt in them.

I am also having trouble with some foods that I normally love. They give me heartburn or they just don't taste good anymore.
I was juicing fresh veggies, fruits and eating lots of salads before tx but with my neutrophils hovering between 400 and 800, I am not eating any fruit or veggies that are not cooked.. call me paranoid.  So it limits the choices!  Back to pudding...:)  
I had to stay away from the "acid" foods, it was tough after a while eating much.  I actually ate a lot of chicken, yogurt, cereal, turkey burger.
Its interesting because as soon as I finished treatment i forgot a lot of the every day trials.
cheese curls,
morning, yogurt and fruit over waffle
other times, potatoes w/ sour cream, chicken salad,
thats all i remember right now. oh yeah i would treat myself at the end of the day with a Trader Joe, raspberry/cream bar.
good luck take it easy,
Mary
Great thread. Startin incivek on Fri 21st and would love to shop but dont know what i'll handle.  Thx for info!
pickles, 2 year old chedder and crackers,kraft mac and cheese smothered in stewed tomatoes,sheet loads of pasta with butter and parm,pretzel sticks dipped in haggen daz vanilla.
I envy u guys that get more than 2000 mg of sodium a day. I ate a lot like Pooh, loaded baked potato was my easy choice.
I thot RIBA didn't absorb w oats? Im eating maltomeal or cream of wheat.
You gotta learn to drop all the fat when the inhibbies are gone.. Back to my low fat diet! Karen
I make a great acai smoothy. Frozen pack of pure acai( at health food stores) 1/2 banana, a probiotic drink and berries of any kind. Prefer black berries or blueberries . I find also with eating 5x a day I find small portions work great. Like 1 slice of raisin toast and 1 soft boiled egg.
I keep a banana by my bed and eat 1/2 w/victrelis at 6am and the other half with RIBA at 8. Then oatmeal midday with flax seed oil and my biggest real meal of the day with the 2pm victrelis . Something like fish rice and broccoli. Or small steak, baked potatoe and peas. Thank goodness I don't have to do 60 grams of fat a day.
I started tx overweight,not as overweight now --lost 15lbs.But I can't wait to not have to eat.3 more days on icivek and  I hate all food.My diet for the fat was to keep eating something till I wore it out.Started out trying to stay healthy, but gave way to expedient.Milk and cookies,hot dog wslice of cheese,donut sticks,Jimmy dean sausage and biscuit,grilled cheese,peanut butter,ice cream,water and sprite.Blt, I'd try to eat a salad, tuna,soup, but to get to 20gms had to add a milk and a cookie.Just get thru with it and then go back to your normal food.
Boost meal replacements and bananas.  Yuck.  I lost 10 lbs since Sept. 30.
I lost 22 pounds before I started treatment. Now I am gaining weight, LOL. Eating all of the time is not my normal routine. Normally I used to eat 2 meals a day with perhaps a fruit snack somewhere in between. Now I am packing in the Greek yogurt and a slice of bread with lots of butter on it at 6 am, a light snack to tide me over until two at about 11 am, another high fat meal of pate and bread and butter or a couple of brauts or more Greek yogurt at 2 pm, a meat meal at 6 pm with my Riba, and another high fat snack of Greek yogurt and buttered crackers at 10 pm with the 10 pm Incivek. At this rate I will have gained all of the weight back by the time I get off the Incivek. I an not complaining. At least I am not having bad side effects and I am thankful for that.  
I have been so nauseated until Doc started me on Marinol. I can't taste anything, I find dry bland things work best. I ate a salad the other night it was just so nice to eat something healthy. Italian is out a far as pizza and anything with red sauce just doesn't settle. You learn what works for you.
Greek yogurt worked well for me.

But mostly I never knew from minute to minute what was going to taste good.  I can remember a few nights I would all of a sudden have a huge craving for tacos...so my hubby would quickly make tacos...lol.  If we didn't act on my food craving real fast it could be gone before the food got to me and then I wouldn't be able to eat it.  

In order to keep from losing weight, I used Ensure or Boost by adding it to my lunch at work.  I had to dilute it with milk or water though because I couldn't tolerate anything that had a lot of flavor.  
The last 10 weeks all I ate was shrimp gumbo and chocolate milk,  that was breakfast, lunch , and dinner.