Hepatitis C Community
Help. Need answers for alcohol induced hepatitis

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

A friend, 62,  was admitted a week ago into Miami VA hosp. and told he has alcohol induced hepatitis. (While he drank a couple beers, most days, not a severe drinker). He's 62, his family won't listen much and he was sent home with 'your not an in hopsital need patient, there's nothing more we can do here'.....no one seems to know what that means!
They won't release his labs until he see's his primary Dr.!? He's really bad and we're heading to Miami to get him into another hosp. Serious pain, major bloating, can't eat, sick, feel's like he's dying, etc. He had felt bad awhile and went in due to  this pain last week. Wants to go to another ER but they can't take him until after work!!

How do they determine alcohol induced or viral? The blood test, I'm sure but he said they didn't test for which kind of hep? It's all very confusing. Ironically, his daughter in law, that will not call us back, has Hep C -told 7 yrs. ago that she wasn't sick enough to treat, no bx, has no idea what Geno type means and won't listen either! Said she has a 'good Dr."

Any suggestions before we tackle this?

Thanks for any input. I am googling alcohol induced hep as I am not too familar on this.

LL
Well, you stumped me already today. Never heard of "alcohol induced hepatitis"?. maybe alcohol related liver disease with hepatitis....but you are quite correct in that hepatitis is a viral disease...I will be curious about what you find out..I certainly hope that you find resolution to this. It sounds kind of bad - nothing more we can do is sort of like an ambulatory do not resuscitate order. Has he had liver evaluations before? Only suggestion I would have is to turn north and head to Mayo / Jacksonville for a visit...good luck to you....will add one more fellow sufferer to my prayer list. Seriously. Good luck.
Unless I'm mistaken, they cannot withold his current lab results if he requests them.  If they didn't run a Hep Panel -- tests for Hep A, B and C -- then I'd request that right away. This will help determine if he has viral Hep or not. I'd also try and set him up with a liver specialist (hepatologist) right away. Of course, the ER is the first stop if it's an emergency, but you really want a liver specialist to make a proper diagnosis. The Eugene Schiff group in Miami is good so you might start there, or minimally request that a hepatologist review his case if/when he enters the ER. Hope it all works out.

-- Jim

"Hepatitis" just means liver inflammation, and it can be alcohol induced which is sometimes the case with heavy drinkers. Hepatitis does not have to be viral like Hep C which is what most here have.
It's friday PM.  Can he request an emergency phone consult with his primary Dr or RN to discuss the results of the hospital trip?  You would then have data and the prognosis, recommendations etc.

I'd suggest that a few beers won't normally induce the results that he is experiencing and so something doesn't seem to add up in this story.

You may want some type of testing to get an idea whether this is terminal or a week of discomfort.  I can't quite figure out the discharge without information but you may have to simply get it from his doctor.

Milk thistle or NAC may be of help but I think that until you get the meeting with his doctor I'd be careful about taking much of anything.

Eat only good foods, clean water and avoid painkillers, alcohol etc.

If and when you go to another facility you may want some sense of the state of the liver; fibrosure (blood test) would be simple, cheap, fast.

Good luck.

Willy
hepatitis isnt a virus, theeagle, its a term used for inflammation of the liver only. Hepatitis A, B, C, D, etc down the line are viruses.
Thank you to all replies, I have forwarded some info. and will be back tomorrow with hopefully more info. as it is quite a situation. He's insistant that they won't release his labs. I didn't go to Miami but another is, & family took him to another ER and waiting for updates from there. One issue in going to another Dr. is VA and no other insurance. I thought the same on if he's truthful on his drinking but been around him many times and didn't see 'too abusive' type drinking, plus he really has no reason to lie to us, we're no pressure to him in that sense, so it doesn't add up to us either. He, and apparently family, don't seem to knowledgeable in Dr.'s, Hep, which I find odd as the daughter in law has Hep C. That's also why I question their dx. This man has no idea what  "there's nothing more we can do here'.means! He'll heal up or he's done for?! He's also pretty out of it so this is really hard to understand, deal with. It's upsetting as his son, daughter in law don't return our call's!  (he wants our help) Thus far she's had that attitude that the Dr. knows all and we ALL know, that too often isn't so! He's a horse biz, many years friend & it's looking like his 'help' isn't handling it too well. We're even ready to pay for another Dr.'s visit!

Thanks, as always here, LL
Thanks again to all replies here. Thought I'd update.
My partner has gone to Miami, our friend got into another hospital and it is cirrhosis, ESLD, given 3-6mths,  Said a hep Dr. is coming in to see him today, see if they can do anything. I question whether they could treat him, do anything? The Dr. he spoke to said that cirrhosis  is ESLD but I always thought when told ESLD that it meant all is failing, not much time yet with cirrhosis one can live years with it? I’m confused there.
It’s been unusual as he had no idea until this mth! Just knew he hasn’t felt well. Saddest thing is the intern said to my friend “does he have any family?” !! His son or daughter in law has not even been to the hospital , no wonder I could not even get them to return my call’s! He’s a good guy, just no reason for that.

Thanks for all input, LL
Interns, GPs and even Gastro's often get it very wrong. Wish I had a dime for everyone who reported that their doc asked them if they wrote out their will. I'm assuming that the "hep doc" is a liver specialist (hepatologist). If not, that's the only one I would listen to.

-- Jim
.....I had a dime for everyone who reported that their doc asked them if they wrote out their will.......

That and "Oh, you look good, your not sick, your just depresssed" ! Heard that @ 20 times before Hep dx! I put total faith in few things a Dr. say's without my own proof, reasoning, 2nd opinion also.

The timing of my friend going down there was perfect, he saw both his hosp. Dr and the liver specialist that came in to see him.  The liver specialist said that and his only hope was a TP, yet he has to prove sober for 6mths, etc first. With his current dx  making it thru that and then the wait for a liver isn't looking too good. Said he only has 10% of his liver working?? Between the 2 we're now believing the situation. Hardest step right now is getting him to go to his brothers and leave the using son, daughter in law behind and taking their names OFF his bank account and getting him into a Dr, in Orlando, but it has to be the VA there. I just can't get over that he had no idea until it was this advanced.

Thanks, LL