Hepatitis C Community
Help/Tips for pneumonia

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Help/Tips for pneumonia

Hi all, sorry haven't been posting much, or reading much. I notice a LOT 'missing here' ??

In ER Monday. Attending Dr. did cat scan, found pneumonia, feel's immune system not so good yet (as I figured) , also may have stomach virus (more vomiting than on any of tx) wanted me back today but didn't want to do the ER thing again :(   If not better, keeping me there :( :(
  The compromised  immune is why I am more concerned with this, 2nd time I've had in 2 years. May go to Shands tomorrow, than their all off to Italy for study seminar. AT ER they did fluids, meds, pain shot, etc. Xray, it didn't show, cat scan it did.
Came home with Z-pack-Azithromycin, the 5 day whammy antibiotic. 5th day is tomorrow, not feeling much better so........
  Should I get set up with more antibiotics? Is a vaporizer a yes or no with pneumonia? (think yes?) Any other tips to keep this from getting worse?
  Yes, smoking is out, getting nic gum. I'm going to try to quit for good thru this. (look out all around me, lol.)

Hope all are hanging in there, Thanks , LL
Sorry to hear you're under the whether, I really don't have any tips as I don't think I've ever had pneumonia.  Don't mix it with bleach. lol  Those antibiotics always give me the runs, I know gave you more info. than you needed, but it's the truth.  I don't even know anything about pneumonia, nothing.  Oh drink lot's of water, I don't know if it will help, but I don't think it will hurt. lol  I'm sure someone else will show up with some good ideas.  I really just wanted to say hey, take care, get plenty of hugs.
Just been diagnosed with hep c and am not on tx, yet.  I had pneumonia 2 years ago. It was terrible, I was coughing at night so bad, I thought that I was going to cough my lungs out of my body. I had to sleep sitting up. During the course of antibiotics, I started getting better (could sleep again after ca 4 days), but wasn't well yet after finishing. I got really much better two days after I was finished with the meds. My experience with antibiotics is that it always takes a few days after finishing treatment before one actually feels better. But if you don't, be sure to go back to your doctor, as you may need more or maybe a different kind of antibiotics. I hope you get well fast... Marcia

P.S. My Mom had leukemia and was thus prone to pneumonia. It happened twice that she had to change antibiotics, as the one used was not working. So be aware of that.
I get pneumonia almost yearly - I have a compromised breathing system. I have asthma and chronic bronchitis.

However, after taking the TX - I haven't had it since - PLUS I got the flu/pneumonia shot - which seems to be working.

However, DURING TX I got a killer blend of a cold that turned bacterial - and then roosted in my lungs and gave me walking pneumonia.

I - too --- hanging head ---- smoke.

So when I went down for the count - I had to practically sleep in the bathroom to get the moist air - so that I could breathe.

I also had to take PROMETH --- and a couple of mucous aides.

Still - I believe that the SHOTS worked better on me - the antibiotic ones - and I went every 3 days to get another shot... Plus a Vitamin B12 shot --- every week... And I also took antibiotic pills.

It kicked the pneumonia after awhile.--- lots of water ---- lots of fluids --- and time off for your body to heal.

Much luck!

Meki
Oh - yeah --- yes on the vaporizer --- Mucous aides --- and ASK for the ANTIBIOTIC SHOT plus pills...

Hope you start feeling better soon,if still not feeling well after a day or 2 when meds complete, see your pcp, z-pak not working too well on this strain of bug.Good Luck...Leah
I was hospitalized for ten days bue to pnuemonia (pneumonia) back in Feb.  I had it once before and had the 5 pill whammy.  It seemed, for me at leat it took a few days after the meds that I was getting better.  Don't be surprised if you feel a bit punky for several weeks afterward too, but do share your concernes with your doc.

I do the nic gum...I like the Wal-Mart brand because it is a softer chew.  Nicorette is higher priced by almost twice as much (you get a lrger selection of flavors), but it gets a little hard to chew after a little while.
The target brand is ak too - if you have a Target in your area.  I'd never heard of Taget till I moved to MN.
I don't know much about pneumonia but I do know that it is serious.  It must be fought with proactive measures both from the doctors and patients.  It has to be the lead thing in your life while you fight it.  Your doctors also had better get you into be seen promptly and make sure that the threat passes.

I recall reading about a man on TX who didn't have his WBC monitored closely and who developed a strain of pneumonia that was associated with immuno-suppressed populations, such as AIDS patients.  So far as this goes, I assume that they will make sure they are treating the strain of pneumonia you have and with the proper drug.  The other point is that IF your WBC is still low from TX it may affect your treatment.

There is no question that smoking can impact on this and it may be the time to quit.  I know a number of people who also used Chantix successfully.  Quitting during a health emergency may not be the optimal method but many people find when they are sick as he11 they don't notice the discomfort from quitting as much.  (if that makes any sense at all.....)  The nicotine patches and Chantix might get you done smoking and thereby promote a faster or more comfortable recovery.  It wouldn't surprise me if there is some info on the net since a health emergency like pneumonia might prompt others to quit at that time.

Take care kiddo.....

Willy

Hello again, I hope you're better already as you may have to go in the hospital and get the IV antibiotics.  Please do us all a favor and take care of yourself, I have been on IV antibiotics and they were alot kinder to me than the caps.  Besides when I look back to 1996, that's when I spent 2 weeks in the hospital on the liquid antibiotics, it was actually a nice relaxation period for me.  I didn't have peumonia, but the antibiotics were the most effective ones I had ever been on.  Get well soon, you are in my prayers.