Hepatitis C Community
Hep C, Canker Sores and Toothbrushing
About This Community:

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Hep C, Canker Sores and Toothbrushing

Hi there,

I'm hoping someone can help me. I mistakenly used my husband's toothbrush (he has Hep C). I have a canker sore on my inside lip (it's not bleeding). My husband doesn't have gum disease or bleeding gums - but his gums have bled in the past.  Recently, he hasn't noticed any blood when he brushes his teeth but I did have the canker sore when I used his toothbrush and I guess that's considered an open wound. I've been searching the net like mad finding all sorts of information.  From what I gather, even if he did have blood on his toothbrush, there is a relatively low chance of transmission, though the risk does exist.  Is this correct or could I have become infected?  I'm so worried and I haven't been able to ease my mind since this happened a few days ago.  Please if someone out there can provide me with any info, it would be so greatly appreciated.

Worried,
Vanessa
Related Discussions
217229_tn?1192766004
RELATIVELY LOW...

However - I'm an advocate of EVERYONE - especially family members getting a HEP panel every 2 years.

Vanessa - you have the right to be worried - however, it would a very low chance.

My hubby and family do NOT have HCV - after many exciting nights in the hay... or an accident that was fairly bloody.

So - transmission is not "THAT" contagious.

I'm almost of the belief that there has to be a complete introduction such as a SHOT or infusion of blood product in order to be contagious.

BUT that is MY belief.

I have YET to meet someone with HCV that did not have a "SHOT" or blood product --- or dental work some time in their life.

So - don't panic - but logically - of course - in about 2-4 months get a HEP panel - just to alleviate any worries.

IF --- you start feeling ill - extremely ill --- with HEP symptoms - please advise your doctor that your spouse is HCV pos. and that you need a panel run.

Much luck - and I wouldn't overly worry.

Meki
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Hepatitis C Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank