Hepatitis C Community
Hep C Antibodies

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Hep C Antibodies

I was tested positive for Hep-C antibodies two years ago. Further tests showed that I did not (and still do not) have an active infection. My primary care physician said that I was infected with the virus at a certain time and my body was able to get rid of the virus on its own. I have two questions: 1) Will I transmit the antibodies (even without an active infection) to children I may have in the future? 2) What are the chances that I will get "sick" from the Hep C antibodies that I have now?  
Tags: hep c, hep
My limited understanding is that anti-bodies are always produced when we are infected, they are our bodies attempt to clear the infection. With Hep C, the antibodies are not effective. So, the antibodies are not Hep C, they are your bodies defence mechanisim, they are harmless, it is irrelevant if you pass them on to your children, and you will not get sick from them.

It appears you are one of the lucky ones, who naturally beat Hep C. You were infected, but it looks like your immune system killed off all the infected cells. If you just had a clear PCR test 2 years after antibody discovery, I think it is safe to say you have not got Hep C and cannot pass it on:-)
It is time for you to celebrate! Your body got rid of the virus on its own!

1) Your children might carry your antibodies for hep C for 18 months after birth. There is however no risk of them becoming infected with the virus, since the virus is GONE! The antibodies just show that at one time in your life you came in contact with the virus, and since additional tests have shown you do not have an active infection - you are homefree!

2) None