Hepatitis C Community
Hep C Fear of Blood

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Hep C Fear of Blood

I am very worried about coming into contact with blood here in my home. Is Hep C really that easy to catch? I hear stories of dried blood being able to infect someone. If you touch dried blood can it infect you with Heb C? Or do you need a cut on your hand? I am really freaking out bcz sometimes I see dried blod on pillow cases her in my home and I get a really scary thought in my head of catching it without knowning I touched any blood. I seem to be washing my hands over and over. I live with my dad he is 67 years old, he has a few nose bleeds and sometimes I think maybe his hands are always bleeding bcz he does work around the house. I have lived with him all my life 30 years and I have never catched anything, but I just can't help but freaked out about all this. If he has Heb C and he bleeds somewhere in the house and I touch the blood, would this be infection?
i think only if u have a open wound.. and it gets into the open area. unsure totally maybe someone else here can help
Avatar n tn
any info would be good.
Relax and try not to worry too much.  My husband has been Hep C positive, and he's on blood thinners for his heart condition to boot, and I often clean up dried blood, fresh blood, you name it.  22 years together and I'm Hep C negative.  If you have open sores or wounds, you can certainly wear gloves to minimize the near-zero risk for extra security -- but before my husband was diagnosed we have on occasion shared razors and such, and i'm ok.  Just love your dad and don't share any of his needles ;).
My husband has Hep C Also.  Even having sex with me bleeding from a tumor in my uterus before an hysterectomy and him having blood in his urine, etc from bladder cancer I never contacted Hep C.  My husband also has ecema and his head bleeds on the pillow sometimes and he scratches like crazy... and nothing.  I admit, I'm careful. We do not share razors now that I'm aware he has Hep C.  But I'm not stressing about it since I haven't contacted it yet.  We've been together for 7 years now.  :)
I wish I could really put your mind at rest...My hubby of almost 32 years has been HCV+ for over 35 years....we have 5 kids together...none of us is infected. we actually never thnk about it.
Walrus had a liver TP in Sept '06 and he came home from the hospital with drains and bandages which I had to deal with daily.. Later a post op infection had him with more drains and bandages, and everything was a "biohazard" so to speak, and all I did was glove up to clean his wounds, etc. I never freaked out or worried. This bug is REALLY hard to catch. I think the only thing I have changed is that I don't shave with his razor anymore.
Just love your dad. Dont' worry.
All the best,
Liz
HUH?  your not sure if your dad has Hep C?  it looks like you asked IF he has Hep C.
Remember its blood to blood so you would have to have a cut in order to receive the virus.  
10356 commented on msdelight's status
Nighthawk61 commented on mishymoshymarcy's status
Nighthawk61 I DO NOT KNOW THE WORD FEAR... Comment
May 05
Track your weight over time