Hepatitis C Community
Hep C Itching

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Hep C Itching

My husband itches from head to toe and the doctors say his viral load is too low for this to be occurring. NOTHING stops the itching, NOTHING. Does any one else have this syptom (symptom)?
Is he on treatment if so if he is taking The Ribavirin there you go. It causes a LOT of itching and bumps. Also the Interferon REALLY completely dehydrates us to the point of absurdity. The only thing that really works is using a GOOD lotion such as Gold Bond Extra Strength Triple Action in the green bottle SEVERAL times a day to keep your skin REALLY hydrated.

I've had this problem for the last 26 weeks and before I discovered that that really helped I had ripped so much of my skin that i have scars now.

The fun never ends! But if you get him to drink as much water as he can and loistion up constantly it WILL help him a lot.
Read your post below. Sounds like its time for a new Doctor. A liver doctor. Like a hepatolgist, He needs to have a bx. done to see what stage  his liver is in. Your viral load has nothing to do with it. Only counts if he needs to treat. Best of luck to you both
CanDo is right - viral load has NOTHING to do with anything really it's just a number...the grade and stage of the liver that is determined at a biopsy is EVERYTHING. It's quick and painless believe it or not (we all freaked out at first thinking it'd be horrible).

Knowing your viral load is like knowing your age - it doesn't really tell you anything about where your liver is at though at all.

Only your Grade and Stage and liver panel can really effectively do that.
Regarless of the competency of this doc, you are clearly not comfortable with the information he is dispensing. That is key.  My advice: beat feet for a hepatologist. Post your geographic area and someone might chime in with a recommendation. There are plenty of knowledgeable and compassionate Hep C specialists out there, and your husband should be seen by one if at all possible.

Best of luck.
Something else you might consider while trying to get into a hepatologist or a good GI that has had many HCV people is to have your doctor order a fibrosure test. Its a simple blood test that is done by Labcorp. Its a quick way to give you an ideal where you might stand as far as liver damage goes. Its not as good as a bx is but might ease your mind because sometimes getting in to a GI/hepatologist takes a few months. The fibrosure test will give you results in a week to 10 days.

I had one while waiting to see my hepatologist.
I've never met a doctor who has taken this treatment so their experience level is based on zip. You will itch and breakout. Drive you nuts. I think its the riba. New doctor would be my prescription and they should be specialized. Have him drink a lot of water and use lotion. That did it for me or at least most of the time. Good luck to you and especially husband. Dale
How you doing? kymmiz husband isn't on tx. his doctor seems to think because is viral load is low no problem. Good luck to ya
Hey buddy. I guess I need to study the post a little better before responding. Brainfog is a real issue. I've been doing pretty well except for the joint and muscle pain. It's turned off cold here in Memphis again and this treatment doesn't seem to do well in cold. This Friday night I will have 30 or 31 weeks left. (this is the first time I've forgotten the number) The Nupogen has kept my feet out of the grave so to speak. What's going on with you. You went MIA there for a day and we don't do well with that. If a regular goes silent it sort of makes for a pause ha! You need to coordinate your out of pocket adventures with NYgirl. She keeps the day planner:) I hope you're doing well. Dale
Ha fellas, how are the sx's treating younse today? I'm pretty good today but shot 4 is friday (yikes) so it will be sickville again this weekend.

Dyce
Not to bad here today. Glad your over the bug so you can be sick again this weekend.

Dale, Yeah nygirl is like our mother hen, always worried about what us kids are up to. Shes a real sweetheart though. Just don't tell her i said that. Wouldn't want her to think i was going to quit giving her a hard way to go. :)
Fellow Memphian here.  :wave

As for the question about skin, I am on interferon and NM283.  My legs are raw from scratching them.  I'm pretty sure it's the interferon bc I've never had this problem before.  

To soothe my skin, I take a warm bath and rub a little baby oil on my legs while they are still wet.  I also use Palmer's and it helps a lot.  It is the best OTC lotion around.

Your dh could also try some Benedryl.
wow, so NY girl is a "mother hen" and I'm an old goat.... man, what did I do to deserve this!  hey dyce, hope your #4 goes well.  #5 and #6 have pretty much wiped me out, but I feel up to giving the can man a hard time today, and its actually snowing (dryest winter in recorded history here in NM), so all in all, life is still good.  HHmmm, the can man, and he calls me a goat....
><((((
Thanks there fishdoc, so are you from n.m. A little northwest and your in the land of cando. Hope yer sx's improve, ha the fish and us need ya around!

Dyce
Just go to this site. BTW i bet giving you a coloring book and crayons keeps you busy for hours. Nice little fish you drew there.

http://www.geocities.com/~butt79/goatmania.html
Said w, so NY girl is a "mother hen" and I'm an old goat.... man

Yeah I'm just a real mother.....'er huh?  ;-)  (Don't want to have CanDo think I'm goin' soft over here I'd NEVER hear the end of it!)

Boy wouldn't it just be fantastic if us guys COULD have some real life adventures?  I can just see it in the newspapers you know?

A group of emaciated balding scratching crazy people were seen walking through Central Park today, as one passerby said "I could have sworn the one fellow kept saying "I'm a moth, I'm a moth NYGirl get the glue" as another was claiming the good effects of healthy eating and trying to make the others drink cider vinegar while the crazy girl kept screaming but no it's not a fudgicle! and a man with a little dog was trying desperately to find out which state he was in while another crazy man was laughing at him saying "I'm the CanDoMan yes I am"

Something like that. yeah sounds like we'd end up in the slam.
says..... (Don't want to have CanDo think I'm goin' soft over here I'd NEVER hear the end of it!)

And all this time i thought you was a girl. Hmmmmmmm
Hey babe it's the internet...I can be anybody I WANT to in here! hahahahahahahhaahhahaha

Darn should have made myself a rockstar or an exsupermodel dang I screwed up only making myself a GIRL :)
ny said....Darn should have made myself a rockstar or an exsupermodel dang I screwed up only making myself a GIRL :)

Heck i would have made myself a brain surgeon, Wouldn't that be a hoot.
Ya'll are right, you can make yourself anything you want!  Well I made myself a burnett last night!  Now only the meds to blame for my brain fog!  Lots more hair gone and NO GREY!  LOL!
I sure sympathize with your husband. I was close to losing it all with the no sleep from thr itch from the meds weeks ago. Wsan't until some people here mentioned being prescribed Atarax that I got some from my doc(Please remember we are all different and this may not be for your husband). Mine is 10mg as needed up to 3x daywhich I seldom use more than 1 at night twice a week cause it makes me groggy the next morning. Seems to help enough for a few days.
Also hep c or not has your husband seen an allergist. Some everyday thing you take for gr anted may be interacting with a bod that's not feeling up to par.
You sound like a very supportive loving wife. I'm sure together you'll get through this.
Be Well,
Don
A little bit of interferon and who NEEDS Miss Clairol any longer!...... I do, never had miss clairol before but im sure id enjoy her more then this interferon.

Fisheress, now just why did you go and do that? Blondes have more fun...... Whats with you gals always changing the color of your hair. GEEZ you change hair styles more then i change the oil in my car.
Can do: love the web site.  Only thing lacking was a nubian.  They are the kind with big floppy ears (actually very pretty goats), and lots and lots of volume... scream all the time..  Have you ever wondered where all the old biker ***** go?  I found em.  Goat shows.  You have to show in dairy white clothes, and tattoos show through.  Never saw so many tattooed women in my life....... a little scary...

dyce-we talking utah?  went to Moab a month or so ago, via salmon air... next week I'll be in vancouver, wa...
http://www.ics.uci.edu/~pazzani/4H/GoatSounds.html check out the nubian..
Fisheress, now just why did you go and do that? Blondes have more fun......
_______________________________________________________________

Rog & I had fun last night :} :)!  Gonna go out tonight to dinner w/friends and Sat nite to a party at my best friends new home she just had built, so see i am busy socializing and having a blast......yea right!  Besides, I needed some color, I was looking all washed out, just no color to me at all (although i am a colorful person!)  I am sure after meds and I can get back out in the sun, the sun and chlorine will bleach it right back out.  Just a temp thing......like tx, RIGHT?

nygirl, so tell me all about your new wig!  Short, long, blonde?  Good idea, if you like it well then "YOU GO GIRL"! I am sure it will make you look and feel alot better.  Mine still pretty long just thin, thin, thin.....

OH, and i actually made it a full day at work today.  No one said anything about my hair color.  Men just don't notice things like that......too busy looking down at the (o)(o)'s

Later ya'll!
Fisheress
Rog & I had fun last night :} :)! ... Good for you gal. Hope you didn't get to wild though.

Men just don't notice things like that......too busy looking down at the (o)(o)'s

Thats only when your walking towards us then we look (well i think you get the pic.)
Forgot to mention this too.  You may be conditioning too much!  Try some "Mane & Tail" if you are putting it on overnight.  Foreseegood knows the stuff.  You can go to your local feed store or I think wallymart and some pharmacy's carry it.  Or just check it out on the web.

Hope it helps............
LOL, that was good, Sounds of fun being had.
Hey, must've started treatment the same time as you, as my shot 4 is tonight.  Are you on the 48 week or 24 week course?
As soon as I read your responses I started to cry. I feel so alone in this. My name is Kim and my husbands name is PJ and we live in San Diego. He was diagnosed in Oct 2005. It's now March 2006 and still no tx. He is seeing a liver specialist and has already had a bx. Doc says bx looks good but is perplexed by the amount of itching going on. PJ now has scars from the itching and round ones at that. I wish it was me who had this and not PJ. We have a routine that we go through most nights in order to keep the itching at a minimum. Only helps for a short time though, but I'm sure you all know that. VL is 2240 I believe, I'm no expert yet. Most of what I know I've learned through my own research and not what the docs have told us. Liver doc said he wants to do another cat scan but this time on his pelvis. WHY? Does this sound right to you guys? What am I missing here? I cannot stand to watch PJ suffer. This is killing me. I bought the Gold Bond green bottle and every anti-itch product known to man. PJ says the green bottle makes him cold and he doesn't like it. He likes the Aveeno spray on gel. He uses it at night mostly. He's also jaundice, and yet, still no tx. Doc said weeks ago he needs to go to injection classes, but then said, he wants to do some more testing before he starts tx. Doesn't want to start tx if not necessary. PJ is EXTREMELY sensitive to meds and his skin is the same way, EXTREMELY sensitive. Please give me as much feedback as you wish. I need all the advice and info I can get.
I forgot to put your name is the line-up of folks who answered my plea. Sorry sweetie. I believe it was you who mentioned the fibrosure test, am I correct? What is that and how is it done?
Thanks again you guys. Your help means everything to me. I had nowhere else to go until I found this place. I wish all of you in here the very best and hope that your lives are healthy happy ones. If I could take all this away from you guys, I would. My husband has had every blood test out there. His bilirubin is high as well as ast and so on. I'm I hearing you guys right. Does the meds cause more itching? What other symptoms will he encounter once tx starts? This is not over by a long shot is it? HOw long does tx last? 48 weeks is what I read but it sounds like it all depends on the individual. He was not itching today until he walked in the door from work. He itches little at work, but once he comes home and gets comfortable he really starts to itch bad. He's sitting behind me tiching now, so I've sent him into the kitchen to use the new juicer we just got. He loves freshly squeezed juice. Does the hep c make you tired after the day is done? He hasn't really wanted to go anywhere or do anything since last October. His stool is very pale and he goes to the bathroom alot. Is this part of the hep c?
Here is a good hep c site that will really help you guys gain some knowlege on this virus. http:/janis7hepc.com. Please go there , it will help!

Best Wishes, Dyce
Hi kim, your hubby is lucky to have you. Sounds to me after re-reading your post that your liver doctor doesn't think his bx was to bad. Which is good, So now he's doing the ct scan and maybe other test to figure out just why he's having these symtoms (symptoms). And yes people with hep-c does suffer from being tired alot. Lets hope he can find  out soon so he can treat him as needed. Make sure you keep your doctor informed of any sx's he has. Like the pale stools. Keep coming here even if you just need to talk. Sometimes that can help alot. And do let us know when you find out something. I would still ask him what stage his liver is at and what geno type he is.
Before you get ahead of yourself with concerns about treatment side effects, better to just find out more about whats going on with your husband. Worry about too many things at once you won't have room or time to focus on solutions. There are a few things with the liver that have itching as a a symptom such as biliary proplems. I have friends with hep that haven't treated that complain of itching. Maybe your doc is looking at checking each out. Some people itch more on the meds some don't. Some people get anemic some don't, etc. For me itching was one of the more pronounced sides so far. But I've been very fortunate in others. Research is great and I realize you want to help your husband but treatment or not hep c takes patience. It's not a 2 week cure-yet. Hey did he try any camphor/menthol based stuff on the itch. Sarna is one suggested here that gave me some relief.
don
I am really sorry your husband is suffering in all of this.  Have you ruled out other things?  Has he started any new medicine like anti-depressants?  Any other meds?  Did you change laundry soap?  If he is itching at home and not at work, it could be something in the home environment.  And it can be just plain nerves!  My doc tried to put me on an anti-depressant to help me sleep, but all it did is make me itch and my skin crawl!  Good luck, you are a great wife for trying to help him with this - you will be his rock when he treats.

Hi, yes it is called fibrosure test, its a simple blood test. They draw some blood like a routine blood draw at labcorp. Then send it away for testing, The results will show the stage and grade of your liver. Which means how much or how little damage there is. This test cost around 300.00 dollars, my insurance did cover the cost. Its not as good as having a bx. done but like i said it can give you piece of mind until you are able to get a bx

My hepatologist feels this test is more reliable if it shows little or no damage. Like a stage 0 or stage 1. Or if its shows theres lots of damage like stage 4. Anything in between he's not a fan of it. like a stage 2 or 3

All you need is for your doctor to write you a script for it, stating it for the fibrosure test for HCV. Then take it to labcorp and they do the rest. Heres a link to labcorp go there and then at the top it has patient service center locator. Just fill that in and it will show you the one closest to you. Best of luck to you.The link is...www.labcorp.com
FORGET WHAT I JUST SAID ABOUT FIBROSURE TEST. Since he's had a bx he don't need that. Find out from your doctor what stage and grade his bx showed and what geno type he is
Hello, I'm so sorry to hear your hubby is experiencing this. It sounds like his billy rueben is high and this can cause jaundice and severe itching. I'm no doc but did some research n this when I seen a fella with jaudice and itching at a doc visit a month ago. I'd get a different doc, they should not let him suffer like this. Try this link- www.medicine.com/jaundice/page3htm-54k.

Dyce
HA that is one way to get rid of the greys huh?  A little bit of interferon and who NEEDS Miss Clairol any longer!  :)

My hair is such straw that I put in conditioner before I go to sleep and hope that this will perhaps keep a little bit from falling out in the morning. Hey if it's cummulative...LOL

Going to order my wig next week for real. It's time. I mean I HAVE some hair but it looks B-A-D bad. Especially since I'm afriad if I had it re-streaked it would explode off of my head!
I went to a dermatologist a few years back with the same problem and got it cured!....Here is the answer...Allegra 180mg daily, along with triamcinolone cream.  It solved the issue within a day!  Give it a try
I have Hep-C  (no treatment) and experience a lot of itching on my shins and on my calves  and also around my ankles.  One small recommendation I would make is something I was told by anogther hep C patient.  When this itching becomes too severve to ignore, "scratch" with an ice-cube, NOT your fingernails. The fingernails merely increase the severity of the itching while the ide cubes tend to lessen the urge to scratch more.