Hepatitis C Community
Hep C Tx

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Hep C Tx

Hello all . . . It's been a while since I've been here, as my sweet husband became very ill on May 21. I took him to the ER because of severe pain in the right chest. We thought he might have pulled a muscle.<p>Before going to the ER, he took his 12th interferon shot in case we ran late and couldn't get to it. He was admitted because of fluid in his chest (pleural effusion, they thought). Further diagnostics the next day indicated it was not just an effusion, but a nasty thing called an empyema. I guess this is something that is unusual, and is usually the result of untreated pneumonia developing into a pleural effusion which, through further neglect, develops into an empyema (an infected mass of pockets encasing the lung). VERY VERY PAINFUL!! <P>I am writing to let you all know that we had no idea he had pneumonia. He felt so horrible on Tx that he didn't notice anything different. I thought he was coughing a little more and was more listless -- but nothing out of the ordinary for the treatment. . . . <p>He coded shortly after admit, spent 12 days in ICU on a vent, and miraculously survived a right thoracotomy to clean out the infection. His docs really didn't think he'd make it and we had NO IDEA he was that sick.<p>Needless to say, he's off Tx. My questions: I think he's developing ascites. Have any of you had this and managed to be treated? Is this always indicative of the need for a transplant? <p>Thank you so much for your input. Best wishes and prayers for you all. Mike's wife (Lynette)
-6 Comments Post a Comment
I don't know if he needs a transplant, check with a diferent doc if you don't trust his. Check out orthomolecularvitamincentre.com there may be some type of vitamin, mineral or amino acid that may help him.
Lynette - WOW~!

OK - first get second opinions. Pneumonia - can and does happen on TX.

Riba makes breathing very difficult - so it's hard to tell sometimes how badly off you are.

I'm so sorry for this situation.

About acsites - and transplants --- I don't know that the two go hand in hand. It certainly sounds like his liver is not functioning properly - but you'd have to ask your doc whether it's temp or permanent - and if he'll need a transplant.

As far as being on TX and  having the swelling that needs to be drained - I don't know. I DID NOT HAVE THIS problem.

So - maybe someone on board has.

I am sending you lots of warm thoughts and wishes for you and hubby's speedy recovery.

Hugs,

Meki
Feeling pretty dumb... WOW - Lynette - hope all has gone well in your life in the last 5 years.

Sigh --- I didn't see the date on this.

Meki
Nighthawk61 I DO NOT KNOW THE WORD FEAR... Comment
fretboard uploaded new photos
May 04
MH Community Mgr commented on Bubulous's status
May 03
Track your weight over time