Hep C and Hair Loss
Well i was Diagnosed with Hep C and HIV back in Jan, i was wondering if anyone had experenced problems with their scalp and hair falling out. I Noticed my hair was falling out 3-4 months before my diagnosis, thankfully also i did see other signs that something was not right so went and got it checked out, Strangeley i tested negative for hiv for 5 months after i took some "post exposure prophylaxis" treatment for the HIV and then on my final test my result came back positive so my doctors also tested me for Hep C , its now August and im getting ready to start some Interferon and Ribavirin.

I was just wondering since my hair started falling out last year arround the same time i think i managed to contract both of these Viruses, its still falling out and was wondering if its likely to stop after the Interferon.
I have been on treatment for HCV for 33 weeks now and my hair is almost gone - I wear a wig when I go out anywhere...I had it cut real short (about 3 inches from the scalp) Between weeks 20 and 29 it was the worse, it seems to have stopped falling out now - I hope so!  I do not know if it is the Interferon or the Ribavirin that makes it fall out...Some people only have a slight thinning but mine came out in handfulls...I think in my case it may be because I have thyroid issues too..

Best of luck to you

Beth
I'm on the verge of needing a wig. I've lost about two thirds of my hair. started around week 16 or so.

It MIGHT be slowing down some but I'm also not washing it nearly as much as I used to because that's when most of it comes out.

deb
If I read your post right your hair loss is not associated with interferon/ribavirin treatment because you are not yet treating. Treatment with interferon/ribavirin can and often does result in hair thinning/loss so I would not expect your hair loss to resolve with treatment. In most cases the hair loss resulting from treatment with interferon/ribavirin does resolve after discontinuation of treatment but if your losing hair now do not expect it to stop with the commencement of treatment for HCV. Mike
Best thing I EVER did for myself was go on ebay and buy a bunch of wigs.  Man...it gave me back a whole bunch of self esteem.  I'd get up for work every morning and cover my grey skin with foundation and spray on tan stuff and put ona pile of makeup and nice clothes and accessories but I still looked DREADFUL ... the first night I got the wig I thought oh everyone is going to know...well you know what nobody did at the store I went to.

I came back to work and even HERE most of the people didn't realize why I looked better.

I felt like I blended in - I can't explain it.

To anyone contemplating it I'll tell you - go for it.  Go on ebay and buy a couple cheap, don't waste $500 at a salon.  The synthetic wigs pass EASILY these days.

Just my two pennies of info there.  They helped me SO MUCH.
My hair started thinning several years before being diagnosed with hcv.  My theory is it's the interferon made by your body, which is insufficient to kill the virus but, unfortunately, very much sufficient to cause hair and skin problems.  Just a theory, for whatever it's worth.