Hepatitis C Community
Hep C and Infertility

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Hep C and Infertility

I was diagnosed with Hep C through an infertility clinic about 4 years ago. My ID doctor thinks I probably contracted Hep C in my early 20s after a surgery.  After years of trying to get pregnant, my husband and I went to an infertility clinic.  The doctors there didn
Hi there!
Nice to see you here.  You have found a great place :)
I tried to conceive for a year before having success.  I cannot say for certain if the hep c had an effect on ttc, but I do think so, in an indirect way.  I gained a lot of weight over the few years previous which I also believe to be indirectly related to the hep c. (and being LAZY!)  From what I can figure out, I believe the liver impacts different hormone levels, and as you well know, ttc is very much dependent on the "right" hormone levels.  We ended up having a beautiful baby girl.  She however, is in the less than 5% who got hep c through vertical transmission.  I am currently on treatment and will start ttc again 6 months after I end treatment.  I'll keep you posted (and say a little prayer) that it goes more quickly this time.  I think that will confirm my suspicions!!! :)
I'm so sorry but hang in there.  I have had this disease for 25+ years but have two healthy kids - I had NO IDEA I had the disease at all but luckily they did not contract it (I had them tested immediately when I found out in August).

I was told a long time ago I would never be able to carry children (totally different scenario nothing to do with hep) and did against all odds.

The only thing is if you are going to do treatment you must make sure you CANT get pregnant during that time or six months after. The meds can cause really really bad birth defects.

I know it's not the same but since I did have two kids I wanted to tell you hang in there and NEVER give up. If it's in your heart I pray it will happen soon. Makesure you get the baby tested repeatedly though because you CAN pass it on to it. That is something to consider.

There are a few people in here who got it at birth.
I meant to say that I am very sorry for your losses.  I wish you the best in getting pregnant and carrying a healthy bean.  Stick around here, you will like it :)
We have been thru a few IVF cycles. I unknowingly had HCV, not my wife.  As you know IVF is a tough emotional ride that may be more draining than hcv at times. Although it's been a few years I think the success rate was about 20% per cycle.  So, your two unsuccessful attempts are not out of the norm of percentages- we had one. Reading here you find that many of the women here had hcv and successful pregnancies.  You should not give up on IVF and hopefully you have insurance that will cover multiple cycles.  At that said, hcv is an insidious disease that can have effects all over the body and having hcv your body is probably not in it's tip-top condition either.  You probably know all the options available to you relative to treat hcv or go for more cycles.  Good luck in what ever you decide.  We have two great kids - IVF and the medicos who do IVF are a blessing.
I conceived twins and I've had hep c for prob 12 years.  I don't think hep c is the reason you're having problems conceiving, altho, I am no doctor.  

Good luck with your next round of invitro.  If you end up with twins or trips, shout out.  I have a great website for support.

I have hep C for about 25 years, just found out in October.  I have 2 small children that I gave birth to without IVR over the age of 35.  I thought IVR might have been needed due to my age, but as it turned out age or hep C wasn't an issue for me.
I wish you the best, and my prayers are with you.
I believe that syndrome, in case you want to check it out, is called antiphospholipid syndrome.  And a bunch of stuff came up on the search engine when typed in with "Hepatitis C."  

Good luck in search.  Sorry to hear about your loss.  Don't give up.
there are at least two members here; debbiedo and Susan(tallblonde) who had trouble conceiving or staying pregnant once conception occured. There is a syndrome, phospho something that is related to hep c and can cause miscarriages according to what Susan researched. You might find info if you web search extrahepatic manifestations of hep c.
good luck in your quest
Thanks everyone for the support and encouragement!!!  I went to my ID doctor yesterday and asked her about Hep C and infertility.  She said there isn
I found out tat i had hep c while i was in the process of having a  miscarriage 3 months later i was pregnant with my second child healthy baby girl i had another 2 children all healthy and big. So i dont think that hep c causes inferility
I have hep see for a long time, and assumed I got it from transfusion at my first daughters birth, but now not sure, because she has been diagnosed with it at age 22 and starts tx in three weeks. It was very hard for us to get pregant, and very hard to go full term. After my first daughter, we lost a baby at 20 weeks. Took another 2 years to become pregnant again without ivf and my second daughter was born at 28 weeks - that is after 2 weeks of aggresivly trying to keep her in! The second daughter is now 15, and healthy as far as we know. Although she was just diagnosed with epilepsy ( mild but is now on tx) at the same time my older daughter was diangnosed with Hep C geno 1b.  Not a good year for us. We have been advised by hep c doc not to test my younger daughter at this time becasue she is too young to be treated and don't want to cause undo anxiety. I am optimistic that since she was only in utero for 28 weeks, and she was a c section, her odds are good for not contracting the virus from me.
hello everyone i have hcv and i'm planning on doing ivf soon does any of the hormoons make it worth and does hcv pass to the baby during birth, do i really have to do byebcy. thanks
My husband and I would like to have a baby. We have no children and feel it's the one thing missing from our lives. The only thing my husband has hep c and I do not. However, My husband wanted to start treatment, but we were told that if were going to get pregnant to do this before or after treatment due to birth defects that could occur.

To insure that the baby would be healthy we went into a fertility clinic and I tried a couple IUI's using a donor's sperm, but no luck. We are getting older I'm in my early thirty's and feel like were running out of time, for years we were told we couldn't have a baby and recently told now we can by the doctors.There could be a small risk 4-6% of getting the illness from my husband if we try to concieve (conceive) and that's if there's cuts or breaks in the skin. However, there is only a 30% chance of me getting pregnant using IUI.

I've thought about natural conception. I love me husband very much but I feel afraid. Just don't want things to back fire on us.