Hepatitis C Community
Hep C and dizziness?

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Hep C and dizziness?

Hello,  I have posted about my husband that has been diagnosed with Hep C.  He has some other symptoms as well that I am concerned about.  He had a seizure (one and only one) about a month ago.  After 3 days in the hospital they sent him home with instructions to visits PCP for liver function test.....long story short, is Hep C positive.  We dont know geno yet, but his viral load was 2,810,000 and has elevated ALT and AST, but according to others here (thanks merryBe and others) they seem to feel his numbers are not "real high".

Anyway, he is in great shape, 6'2" 200 or so pounds works out, physical job etc.  No symptoms at all, just the one seizure.

Today we went to an Art Festival and we were walking very casually around.  After about 35 mins he comes to me and says he needs a drink he is feeling dizzy (he quick drinking alcohol after it happened).  So we sit down and he is just real shaky and kind of dizzy and tired.  After about 10 mins we make our way back to the car.  He says he is fine and wants to go ahead and go to Costco.  About 15 mins into it he comes over and says I need to sit down again, that he is really tired and a little dizzy.

His blood pressure was up a little 140/90's but this is freaking me out.  He did have an MRI that showed some degeneration (demylenation) of the white matter in his brain and said they normally only see that in really old men.

Does anyone else have experience with Hep C and seizure or dizziness?  Again, he only had the one seizure.  He was mowing the yard, came in and said he didnt feel very good and passed out and had a grand mal (tonic clonic) seizure.

Any insight or ideas would be helpful.  
Hi! he's lucky to have such a caring wife. If you go to Janis and Friends (I'd give you the addy, but I can' post on there lately) site, they have a really good, comprehensive list of possible symptoms of hep c.

I believe one of them is occasional dizziness if I'm not mistaken. Course, there could be other reasons and etiologies, it's usually a canceling out process as far as taking a lot of tests. Just punch in Janis and Friends, Hepatitis C in a search engine, then once youre on the site, look for the symptoms page.

You know, just for a fyi, stress can really jack up the old blood pressure, and nothing can stress you out more then being newly diagnosed with this or any chronic illness. I know it's easy for me to say, but just have him try to take it easy, and get really educated on this disease, and try not to take in any horror stories you may read, etc...we're all on different paths with this, this isn't a one size fits all disease, BY ANY MEANS.

This is all over the map in terms of symptoms, severity, everything. He really does need to be completely checked out though, to find out the reason(s) for that seizure, etc....The vast majority of us do not die from this disease, it's a relatively small percentage, and the fact that you say he's been taking care of himself "usually" will keep him in good stead. It's usually a very slow moving disease, I've had it for over 30 years and I'm still in low liver damage. Just find a good hepatologist, and take all the necessary tests, etc...and go step by step. Once he gets over the "sticker shock" of this diagnosis, he'll probably feel much better then and there.

It's a lot to cope with. Many of us thought we were going to die, etc...and most of us are still here, realizing this is not the be all and end all of our lives. It just takes a while for most of us to figure that out. Hopefully, he can learn some good coping mechanisms, etc...they do a world of good for me. (It sometimes seems a bit harder for guys to get that stuff, but many do, no offense to the males - we love ya anyway!:) Good luck, be well, the both of you....
You should definitely mention the dizziness and seizure to your internist as well as your hep doctor. That said, it doesn't sound Hep C related to me.

-- Jim
I agree that he should go to as many specialists and have as many tests as he can have to get to the bottom of it, and I've never heard of seizures as a symptom....but I do have occasional dizziness, along with some other hep c patients I know of.....some posting on this board...plus, occasional dizziness is sited as a hep c symptom...course I don't pretend to know what is going on with this particular individual....just wanted to note that.

also wanted to say, that when I was first diagnosed, my blood pressure shot up to 145, 150, around there, and I've always been normal, I was VERY stressed....once I calmed down about all of this, it stabilized to normal again....this is just my case again....can't speak for anyone else.
fs: but I do have occasional dizziness,
----------------------------------------------------
Understood :)
he he. I know I'm a dizzy broad, no surprise to anyone...

Here is that page of symtpoms I was talking about, it's pretty comprehensive...course, any of these symptoms could be attributable to something else...

http://janis7hepc.com/Symptoms.htm#Hepatitis%20C%20is%20the%20most%20common
i have to wonder how much alcohol he was drinkng...when i quit alcohol the dizzy feelings were bad for a few months...many times i would think i was going to pass out...i think it had to do with a glucose problem...a poor working liver..resulting in hypoglycemia....i did't drink that much compaired to some folks but the hep c and the drinking didn't mix at all for me.now i'm much better..still have some sx but the worse one was the dizzyness..good luck...billy
you know, as much as I write, I forgot that one....I have hypoglycemia myself, which can happen with hep c as well...glycogen probs are probably pretty tricky, I was going to bring that up myself.....but I haven't drank alcohol in years, and I wasn't heavy drinking before diagnosis. I do have this hypoglycemia problem for about 25 years now. Trouble is, hypocglycemia is a possible symptom of the treatment itself (it says so anyway on the literature), but I've heard of patients actually clearing up their hypoglycemia once they started treatment, this is always so all over the place...