Hepatitis C Community
Hep C and feet and leg numbness

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Hep C and feet and leg numbness

Hi, Looking for some answers about foot and leg numbness, low wbc (1.6) and Hep C.  Never any symptoms - and am extremely healthy.
  Numbness is increasing these last 2 months.  Also have very low white blood cell count (1.6) . WBC has been low for last 10 years . No diabetes.
  Where to start for getting help?
have you been or are you being treated? What type of Hep C do you have. Consult with you doctor. Your WBC is very low. Stop taking aspirin or anything that will thin your blood further.
ooops sorry skip the aspirin part, that's my other problem of low platelets, the one that worries me the most ... WB cells is the immune system. It can be brought up with a helper drug called Neupogen but if you aren't being treated ... 1.6 is very low, see the doc, now.
Go to a doctor ASAP as James said. Maybe a new doctor.
Has you doc told you why you have had low white blood cell counts for 10 years? Demand an answer or get a referral to someone who can answer you.
If you have a congenital disorder or autoimmune disorder you need to know.
You are very prone to getting infections which is not good. Avoid anyone with a cold or other illness, and wash your hands regularly and thoroughly.
Button line, you are not healthy with blood tests that low there is something wrong and you need to figure it out.

Good luck.
Hectorsf
As the others have said, a WBC that low needs some investigation. Regarding the foot and leg numbness, another test to perhaps have run is one for cryoglobulins. Many people with HCV also have mixed cryoglobulinemia (myself included) and it can cause peripheral neuropathy/vasculitis. On a positive note, if treatment for HCV is successful, the cyro often goes away as well. Kind of a two-for-one deal.
I agree with the posts above:  prolonged low WBCs should not be ignored.  As pointed out above, with active hep c it would be important to exclude both auto-immune and cryo concerns.  Since your profile lists you in MA, you should be able to seek a second opinion with either a hepatologist or hemotologist if your current doctor is not being proactive on your behalf.  Best of luck.
Thank you all for your comments.  I am scheduled with a heptologist in Jan and then most likely with a neurologist.  Interesting about the cryoglabulin test - thanks for that info.  I'm also wanting a test of B12 as I know low B12 can cause the peripheral neuropathy.
  I am genotype 1 - so have been putting off treatment as it is a lengthy treatment with lower success rate.  Hard to enter a treatment that makes you feel bad when you are feeling so energetic and healthy - but it may be getting to that time!  Love, Nancy