Hepatitis C Community
Hep C and homeopathy

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Hep C and homeopathy

Recently I learned that I have Hepatitis C but I have just this result HCV total At reactive  ( 1228 COI ).
What this number beside means???
Is this a large number???

Some doctors told me not to be in a hurry about treatment . I met a pathologist-homeopat and she told me to try to cure hep C with homeopathy.

Does anybody has positive experience with homeopathy and hep C ?

I want to ask if the biopsy is necessary?
What kind of other tests should I perform obligatory ?

I have been taking some homeopathy remedies, globules, and its name is Lycopodium , strength C-30. Also drops Silbium Marianum comp.(which is Milk Thisthle). In fact, homeopathy is acceptable everywhere in Europe, I dont know about US., but has a different system of curing. If you are interested, you can also find good articles on homeopathy at the Internet.
I only know, they do not bad to me, those remedies, but I am not sure if they can cure HCV. I'd rather say, they help liver.
I'm sorry I don't recognize the 1228 COI. But I do know that homeopathy will not sure your liver disease. If your body does not clear it on it's own, which isn't likely after the acute period is over, the only thing that can cure you is interferon and ribavirin right now. A biopsy is important because it gives you a lot of information regarding how damaged your liver is and whether or not you can wait to treat.
Thank you
Is there any real possibility for my body to clear Hep C after the acute period is over ???

How can we know that the acute period is over to me??? By this single test???

What shows this test? Presence of antibodies ?

If it is correct than we cant know about presence of virus or I am wrong?
Hi Paleo,

Typically, the patient will take the antibody test first; if this is positive, then the more expensive confirmation test ‘HCV RNA by PCR’ for confirmation of infection. Until the PCR test has confirmed active virus, the patient is not formally diagnosed with Hep C (HCV).

The acute phase lasts for six months; approximately 25-20% of patients will resolve infection spontaneously during this time. After six months, the disease progresses to the chronic phase; at this time, the patient will not resolve the virus on their own and will require medication at some point.

For more information, please read Janis and Friends:

http://janis7hepc.com/have_you_been_just_diagnosed.htm

Good luck to you—

--Bill

Helping your liver stay as healthy as possible and ridding your body of the virus are two different things. After you find out for sure if you have active living virus in your blood you will have to decide if you want to do the current treatment or wait for the new drugs that will be coming out in about a year or so. During this time, you should do whatever is best for your liver. Just be sure to ask somebody with lots of experience with Hep C because we can't take a lot of stuff the general public can take with no problems.
I  agree with you on that, that we have to be very carefull , with what we are taking. I would also like to point out a fact, that when I asked my Doc. about homeopathy and herbal stuff, he was not much of a help. Here is an interesting article about that subject :

Are Doctors Knowledgeable About Herbal Medicines?
A survey of Drug and Therapeutic Bulletin (DTB) subscribers indicates that doctors are poorly informed. In addition, they think their patients know little on the subject of herbal medicines.

The DTB survey on herbal medicines was carried out online in January 2010, by emailing a random sample of 1,157 DTB subscribers. The response rate was just over 14 percent.

More than 80 percent of respondents to the survey were doctors. Most of them were family doctors. Pharmacists made up the bulk of the remainder.

The findings illustrate that more than seven out of ten respondents believe that the public has misplaced confidence in the power of herbal medicines.

Additionally, more than 85 percent think that the public is "poorly informed" on the subject. Not one single respondent considered the public to be well informed.

On the other hand, healthcare professionals rated themselves slightly better. When asked how well informed doctors are on the subject:
three out of four respondents said they were "poorly informed"
one in five (21.5 percent) thought doctors were "moderately well informed"
about half of respondents (48 percent) described their current knowledge and understanding of herbal medicines as either "quite poor" or "very poor"
In addition, nine out of ten admitted that their knowledge of herbal medicines was "much poorer" than their knowledge of prescription medicines.

More importantly, not more than seven out of ten respondents said that if they knew a patient was taking herbal medicine about which they knew little, they would seek additional information before starting or adjusting prescription drugs.

Generally, the greatest reason for doing so (almost 96 percent) was because of concerns over potential interactions between the two forms of treatment. Two thirds (just under 69 percent) worried they might ignore a side effect if they were not well informed.

Among the reasons offered by the three out of ten respondents who said they would not seek further information were:
uncertainty as to where to find reliable information (60 percent)
doubt on how to assess and use it (43 percent)
A considerable proportion of respondents (77 percent) worried that their patients would take herbal medicines without telling them. However, despite these concerns, few doctors actually asked their patients about it.

When reviewing or planning prescription **************, only one in eight (13 percent) "always" asked their patient if s/he was taking herbal medicines. More than half (55 percent) either "never" asked or did so only "occasionally."

Also, knowledge of the regulatory arrangements for herbal medicines was poor.

No more than 3 percent of respondents said they knew "a great deal" about this area. However, almost 85 percent considered that herbal medicines are not well regulated.

Dr Ike Iheanacho, DTB editor, commented on the findings: "It's obviously worrying that doctors in general seem to know so little about herbal medicines, given the widespread use of such products."

In 2008, an Ipsos-MORI survey carried out for the drugs regulator the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) revealed that more than one in three people surveyed (35 percent) had used a herbal medicine. Also, one in four (26 percent) had used one within the past two years.

He added: "The fact that few doctors make a point of asking patients whether they are taking herbal medicines raises further safety concerns." He comments: "Similarly unsettling is that even when doctors don't know the effects of a herbal medicine a patient is taking, many won't try and look these up."

Michael McIntyre chairs the European Herbal Practitioners Association and is a member of the UK Department of Health Herbal Medicine Regulatory Working Group. In an accompanying DTB podcast, he exposed doctors' belief that familiarization with herbs is somehow a retrogressive step.

He explains that before the beginning of modern medicine, ailments were often treated with herbs, suggesting that doctors feared being "pulled back into the swamp."

In the podcast, Dr Linda Anderson, Principal Pharmaceutical Assessor at the MHRA commented that the Agency's research indicated that patients were ready to tell their doctors if they were taking herbal medicines. Also, they expected them to be knowledgeable about these products.

"Doctors as poorly informed about herbal medicines as they think their patients are"
Results of the DTB Survey on Herbal Medicines; January 2010
Medical Herbs Survey
dtb.bmj.com

Written by Stephanie Brunner (B.A.)

Source: medicalnewstoday
Herbal medications will not cure you of the disease and in fact some of them can cause more liver damage to you.  You have to be careful with whatever you take that it does not compromise your liver in any way. As mentioned about having a liver biopsy will help you ascertain whether or not you have to time to do some watchful waiting (not ignoring the disease but watching it's progression while you wait) to see if the new medications will pan out.  Again, herbal medications will not cure you in any way the only thing proven to do so at the moment is interferon and ribavirin.  You are not trying to get rid of a cold here - vitamins might help you feel better but they wont do anything to kill the virus. If it were true otherwise none of us would have done treatment.
This is a 4 year old thread.
Is something erased here? Any post erased? I have notification on my mail. Admins???? I still have not cured. I Tried pegasus and ribavirin and it didn't work
Just looks like someone responded to this old thread paleo. Have you looked into Sovaldi Olysio. I just finished 2 days ago 12 weeks 2 pills a day. I was undetectable at week 4. I am a GT 1a null responder with cirrhosis. Have you heard about the hopefully soon to be approved single pill Sovaldi / Ledipasvir it looks really good in trials.
Good luck
Lynn
Ok looks like drrajeshshah 's post was deleted