Hepatitis C Community
Hep C and sex

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Hep C and sex

Having hep c over 15 plus years now and no overall problems , can hep c be transmitted thru sex? my knew girlfriend says yes, i was under the impression the chances were remote to nil under regular sexual practices..Also , haveing a 12 year old son, who's mother also had hep c, show's no sign of being infected. where can i recieve the latest info on hep c and treatments????
You're at the right place for some non-medical advise.  I'm not THAT up on all the hep c stuff, but hang on and keep checking back.  There are a bunch of really intelligent folks here.  As far as I am aware, sex is, however remote, one way of transmitting this virus.  Were I your girlfriend, I would prefer to err on the side of extreme caution and request you use a condom.  I would also prefer you not use my toothbrush, razor or nail clippers.  Sounds rather harsh, I know, however, this is a very harsh virus and treatment.  Best of luck to you, Lori
the chances of transmitting hepatitis through normal sex is less than 2 percent, for some reason if you are in a monogomous relationship, the chance is less, any sex that has the chance of blood membrane breakage such as anal sex is to be avoided unless protected, but the operative word here is common sense, but normally it is not a problem.
There is a slight chance of being infected, as seen with studies involoving GAY men and risky anal sex, but this study focuses strictly on monogomous relationships...

http://www.hivandhepatitis.com/hep_c/news/2004/062104_c.html
When you say 'show's no sign of being infected', what do you mean?  Most often, there are no symptoms with hepatitis C.  Although it is rare for a child to be infected at birth, it can happen.  The only way to know is with proper testing, directed by a doc.
While the chance is almost nothing in the world for a monogamous couple just remember to use SafeR sex practices....this is what we are advised to do.

Remember blood to blood means just that.

I had both of my kids tested after finding out I had this disease for 25 years (they are 16 / 18) and they are both negative.

What peace of mind it gave me! Then I knew i could treat myself and get on with life.

I wish you the best.
you can review the latest on hep c at sites like:
natap.org, hcvadvocate.org, and janis7hepc.com.

as suggested before, get the child tested, hep c has no symptoms until end stage disease sets in.
Listen to NY Girl, she saved me from walking away from a wonderful woman cuz I thought I would transmit Hep C through sex.
Thanks NY Girl, I could just kiss ya!
Love, Slide James
The chance of getting Hep C from sex is like 1%.  There are many here who have had it for 10, 20, 30 plus years  and their spouse never got it.  It's a slim chance this will happen.

Beagle
If you could hep. C easily sexually half the country would have it by now.
LOL I think that is a CONSERVATIVE estimate considering the mantra - if you sleep with one person you are also sleeping with everyone they've ever slept with.....

Using that logic (which makes sense) why we've all probably gotten this disease from each other!  hahahaha   :)

Seriously the chance is so so so slim that the last boyfriend I had, when I told him I had the disease, didn't even make a big deal out of it because he knew how unlikely it really was.

More likely he could have gotten it from me back in the 80s when we used to snort coke and stuff like that.  Now THAT blows my mind...all the times I thought I was so GOOD not using IV drugs back then - LOL an addict can convince themself of ANYTHING.

It took Dr. J to say to me that I also could have gotten it in the late 80s when I had kids by two c-sections and DID receive blood.  I had forgotten ALL ABOUT THAT and just assumed it was a drug related thing.  You see I too, even having the disease, just put the stigma right straight back on to us all.

That's pathetic when you think about it.

But who cares how you get it as long as you are lucky enough to find out in time that you have it. :)
while no studys support the notion that SEX cures hepC..i personally believe it is the absolute number 1 solution to the side effects of trx meds....good exercise,great emotional release,stimulates All systems....yes my friends!! Sex is Good for us!!!!!!!!!
Since I got Hep C from sex, I feel obliged to respond: the percentage of HCV sexual transmission is low, EXCEPT in cases of ROUGH OR VIOLENT sex that may induce BLOOD-TO-BLOOD contact (I got it through a violent unwanted rear-entry sexual act if you get the idea).  Anal sex runs a higher risk because of the potential of tears in the tissue.  As always, we here at the Forum are laypeople (though with CONSIDERABLE experience in many cases), and for a final opinion, I'd consult a doctor. Best of luck to you and your girlfriend, Aiuta
Looks like you've gotten the answer to your question.

So, I'll simply say may answer has become "NO to Hep C, YES to sex!!"  <VBG>