Hep C and treatment
Does everyone diagonised with Hep c need treatment?
Hi, no not everyone needs treatment. A lot of people, "I think about 15%" can fight it off on their own. That is why you will need to be tested to see how much your viral load is. If you do have a viral load, then you need to be tested to see what your geno type is. And you will need a liver biopsy to see the amount of damage. If the amount of damage is very low on a scale of 1-4. Four being cirrhosis, one being a small amount. Then you can wait, take care of yourself that means no alcohol or drugs and wait for the new drugs to come along. But if you are a 3 or 4 you will need to treat for sure. Maybe even a 2 would treat. It is very much a personal decision and should be discussed with your doctor. But finding out all the facts is key. Getting the viral load and genotype is a must. But most of all the only way to determine if you need treatment will be the biopsy! Hope this helps. This is only my pesonal view. Take care.
VL(276,000), am waiting on Geno type, and I have an appointment with a specialist on 5/17. I appriciate all the info u all have here for the newbies. Thank you
There is many factors involved in whether you would treat or not and main factor is the liver damage you have.  Sounds like you are on right track and getting the information needed to make a decision for yourself.
Since I found out I am obcessed with this. I want to know and understand everyting I possibli can. There seems to be alot of people here who can help me do that along the way. Thanks
Hey,,,,you found the right spot then because there is many caring people and very informative that will help you out.  I know too well about being obsessed with finding all the information you can.  I found out I had Nov 2003 and there wasn't enough time in the day to do all the research.  I started my treatment in January 2004 to January 2005 and cleared the virus.  It was well worth it just to not have to worry about the virus anymore.  Glad to see you here!
said.........Put your ducks in a row ............

Now you tell me, gonna have to get me some ducks now. Hope you doing fine gal.
Thanks for your kind words below. I just hope Ina wasn't pulling my leg on the.......... 'I think the olive oil did the trick, virgin kind.'
as mentioned before, there are many factors involved in the decission to treat; age, liver damage, genotype, insurance, medical leave benefits, support from family, etc.
I too, got diagnosed in 2003, started tx that same year and cleared the virus. I had great insurance, and was getting older and wiser. You have to research deeply before comitting to a lengthy, grueling treatment(tx). you must be ready mentally to start, so you have the best shot at finishing it.