Hepatitis C Community
Hep C and unborn child

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Hep C and unborn child

I am 4 months pregnant and just got tested for Hep C. If i do have the virus, what's the chance that my unborn baby will get it?
If you have Hep C, your chance of passing it to your unborn child is around 5%. You can read more about it here: http://www.hepatitis.va.gov/patient/sex/mother-to-fetus-transmission.asp

Was this just a routine test, or have you been exposed to Hep C?
As long as all your attending Dr.s are aware that you may have Hep C your chances are very low that you will pass it to your child. When my children were born back in the 80's I was not aware I had HepC, so no precautions were taken, both of my children contracted it, VERY unusual. My daughter has since had 2 children of her own, precautions were taken and both are hepC FREE!!
Good Luck to you on a your test coming back hepc free!
I think that when the Drs are aware you have nothing to really worry about.
As a side note, both of my children have lived their whole lives with Hepc and have not had any medical treatment related to that.
i have heard its 1 in twenty...5 percent...i had 7 kids and both my wife and i didn't even know we had hep c...none of our kids have it.....lucky i guess...good luck....billy
i had 2 boys and i did not know i had hep c.  neither one was infected.  my husband never got it and we've been together for 32 years.  good luck to you.  belle