Hepatitis C Community
Hep C? antiHCV pos NAT neg

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Hep C? antiHCV pos NAT neg

I am wondering if anyone can help on this one. My wife and I are losing sleep waiting to get this figured out.
Short story. Donated blood a month ago, as I do 3 times a year since 1990. This time got a letter saying they rejected my blood because the anti HCV test came back positive. So did the secondary anti HCV test.  My NAT was negative.
Not much help in figuring out that those two mean put together. Looked online and talked to a couple family medical professionals. They aren't offering all that much advice either.
Is it likely a false positive? Or did I have it once and clear it.

Waiting to see my own doctor, who will probably send me to a specialist for more testing. Where I live, this could take a month or so,
Any ideas, anecdotes, etc, would be MUCH APPRECIATED.
Mark
Tags: hep c, nat, neg
If it were me I would have the HCV PCR to see if their is actual presence of the virus. Though technically since you had the anti-hcv and the NAT another step could be to test with the HCV RIBA.

The VA site explains it like this:

If the result of the HCV RIBA is positive, this confirms that the detection of a hepatitis C antibody (anti-HCV) was a true positive, meaning that there has been infection with hepatitis C in the past.

If the HCV RIBA result is negative, it means there has not been infection with hepatitis C. If an earlier hepatitis C antibody (anti-HCV) test had been positive, then this was a false positive.

__________________

´★¸¸.☆  Here is additional info if your HCV RIBA comes out negative and you would like to be considered a viable blood donor again. ´★¸

The "Blood Bank Guy" interprets the FDA rules:

A donor that is truly infected with HCV is usually reactive for both the EIA (with positive RIBA) and HCV NAT. Fortunately, in most populations, that doesn't happen very often anymore.

The problem comes when a donor is positive for some, but not all of the tests mentioned above. How are those donors managed, and can they ever donate again? Fortunately, the U.S. FDA came out with a guidance document covering these issues in May 2010.

Unfortunately, the guidance is really hard to read and is confusing in some places. Let's walk through some testing result possibilities and their consequences:

1. Anti-HCV EIA repeat reactive, RIBA any result, HCV NAT reactive
☞ FDA does NOT allow these donors to ever donate again. They are "permanently deferred."

2. Anti-HCV EIA repeat reactive, RIBA positive, HCV NAT reactive OR nonreactive
☞ FDA does NOT allow these donors to ever donate again. They are "permanently deferred." Note that most donors in this situation will be NAT-reactive, but as many as 10-30% will NOT have a reactive HCV NAT.

3. Anti-HCV EIA repeat reactive, RIBA negative or indeterminate, HCV NAT nonreactive
☞ These donors are "indefinitely deferred", but are eligible for re-entry consideration after SIX MONTHS from the donation date

4. Anti-HCV EIA nonreactive, HCV NAT reactive

_________________

The HCV Riba is not used very often so you might have to have your doctor request it. At this point it is likely your doctor run a PCR.

http://bbguy.blogspot.com/2011/01/hepatitis-c-testing.html

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/BiologicsBloodVaccines/GuidanceComplianceRegulatoryInformation/Guidances/Blood/UCM210270.pdf