Hep C caused by military air-injected immunizations
I want to know if anyone knows of persons that may have had air-injected immunizations while i the military (vietnam era)? They line up one by one and get hit with the same air-injected gun, everyone had blood running down their arm. I firmly believe that's where I first came in contact with the virus but it could be a number of other things too.
Not so sure of that accuracy of your comment, I dangled my arms like meat on a hook and still drew blood. I saw folks flinch and suffer tears. The school girl comment is for the birds. Just saying.
I've had two friends from Vietnam era neither were drug users and both had Hep C and died from liver failure.
I was post Vietnam 1977 and in 1998 started experiencing psoriasis  dermatological and under the nails one doctor treated me for a nail fungous and the medication affected my liver. I found a dermatologist @ UT South Western in Dallas and as spoke of the fore mentioned details her eye brow raised. She told me she suspected Hep C and when I give her my history she said she highly suspected group air gun vaccinations in the military. I just got curious if anyone was talking about this on line, man it seems to be more than a theory with all the responses to this thread. Good luck to everyone.

I am a woman and I went to bootcamp in Fort Jackson, SC, US Army, Vietnam Era, yes they used Air Guns on us. We all lined up and received who knows how many vaccines that day. Docs on both sides giving them. I must have been lucky because I don't recall much blood, so the docs were taking their time with us, probably because we were at the tail end of the war era, early '74.

Certainly some truth in what you say, and as a paramedic I can attest that IVDUsers often lie to medical personnel... and not just out of fear of jail or the permanent record deal.. but detox/ other medical benefits/ other care disqualification... drug seekers aren't given narcs. But, if you were there in Basic Training in 1972, you would know. It was a real cattle-shoot operation. I had 3 blood trails on each deltoid. And when I stepped forward, they went off on the guy behind me in a second or two.. at best a wipe off sanitation of the guns contact surface..certainly not sterilization. Even then as an 18 y/o infantry recruit I knew it was all wrong. But people who 'just said no' to the Army back then were quart martialed. And the mil knows it was all wrong, that's why they DC'd the air guns... but sadly they knew all along but just didn't give a damn about the cattle.
I just found out today I have a positive test for hepatitus C
I got a swine flu shot in the army I was in from 74-77
and received a mandatory shot with a air gun
I was in the army 74-77 we were given swine flu shot with air vacination,
I now have hepatitis C, I don't know how long I have had it.
Mary55
Hi -  I'm not a vet.  I landed on this site via researching HepC+gun inoculation.  Am female born in Washington State in 1957.  Airgun inoculated in grade school.  Diagnosed with HepC in 1999.  These posts I've read are compelling.  I don't know how I got this... I wasn't an angel in the 80s.  May have been straw related.  Treatment is priority, but as a society, figuring out how this happened is also priority so we can attempt not to repeat the scenario thereby preventing future generations this type of tragedy.  If it were mainly illegal drug use as cause, why is there a definite age boundary tied to it?  Like born between 1947 and 1965 (or whatever the range)?  So, people that were born after 1965 and are IV or straw users aren't susceptible to this disease?  Why would that be?  It seems it isn't drug use that caused this for the boomers because illegal drug use is still rampant with the same amount of needle and straw sharing going on but users born after 1965 don't have to bother to get tested?  wtf?  There are some mysteriously deep holes in this line of logic.  Listing illegal drug use as the main cause of contracting HepC places a heavy burden of unnecessary depression on victims.  Most of use are so consumed with trying to find treatment for the disease we cannot even begin to address the mental consequences of living with this disease and the shame stygma that is instantly placed on us at the time of diagnosis or thereafter.  Let alone not having any energy to commit to this matter.  It's been all I can do these past years to work 40 hours a week, makes chronic fatigue syndrome look like a walk in the park.

Mistakes happen, we have to carry on.  I'm not a government basher, and am a government employee.  It's normal human instincts to want to know how and why things happen.  Questions don't take take away from the event and may shed light on the situation for all.

In Oct 2012 I began my third attempt at therapy after 2 previous failures (non-responsive), once in 1999 and once in 2006.  This time it's the Triple therapy through a Seattle hospital participating in a worldwide research study.  I've been negative since week 4 of the treatment.  Have 9 weeks to go.  Would be rare at this point not to remain virus free but no one can predict the future.  In 2006 my first biopsy showed level one liver scarring.  In 2012 second biopsy showed level 4 cirrhosis.  Pretty scary stuff.

Good luck to you all!  I feel your pain, fear and frustration.  Thank you to all the Vets for your service.  
There is protocol  for such an event. For instance when blood is splats on the head of the device they are supposed to change the head. I've seen with my own eye’s  that they didn't have a change that fit and I witnessed a Col. order the man giving the shots to just wipe of the head and put it back on. I also witnessed where they had a ped-0-jet brake down and they resorted to using the same syringe’s  to every body left. They would briefly clean the syringe’s  in a clear solution and reload it for the next trainee. But the most alarming thing I recalled was in the reception station where they reused the finger stick device on several at a time. I’m certain these incidents where very wide spread and frequent. I strongly believe if  these events were to go public it would make a story as big as the Agent Orange story.
I believe the military's culpability for this epidemic is why hep C is still the silent epidemic that it is.

I asked the same questions once, why 1945 to 1965 and was told that the virus was discovered in 1940 and blood work was not tested for this until after 1990 or there about.

Maybe the govt doesn't want to freak people out so have started with this 1945 to 1965 as there are many more people who were not born during those years that have it.
Thanks, Dee :)
June 1976
Yes my husband had the same shots.  The military quickly sweeps it under the rug, by everyone having to be on drugs and them not excepting responsibility.  We are hashing it out with them as they did think they had the cure:  Read the following
Yes, my husband has experienced many symptons due to interferon and ribavirin therapy and they continue even though he had to stop treatment in January of 2006 due to an allergic reaction to the drug.  He was completely blind for one year and since 2007 he now has vision in just the upper half of his eyes.  It destroyed the retina and the optic nerve is gray, due to a stroke behind the eyes.  Mind you he complained to the doctor in October of 2005 and they sent him to an optomotrist and his hep c doctor told him to continue with the treatment as the eyes would go back to normal after treatment was completed.  The treatment caused low vision, joint pain, tremors, lesions on his brain (like MS), memory and short term memory loss, autoimmune disorder, lupus and psoriasis, anxiety etc.
if you spend 100 hours reading va rules- the va has a  let die policy if you have hep c
The Veteran Affairs is the number one provider of Hepatitis C treatment.  Here is their presentation on hepatitis C at "hepatitis.va.gov"  

There is a lesson plan about Hepatitis C and treatment.  It would be very beneficial to you to read the lesson because there is some valuable information your going to need.   Things like what is a good hep c diet.  Also, reference to trials etc.   As with most healthcare..you have to be pro active and educate yourself.  Sure we can't know everything but knowing what to ask and asking can be the difference between life and death.  

DWBH

I do not recall seeing as many women in the military like I do now? not a good analogy.
DRAFTED INTO USMC 1968 DIAGNOSED IN 86 NON A NON B HEP. NO BENEFITS FROM VA DUE TO TYPE DISCHARGE NEVER USED IV DRUGS HAVE LEARNED TO LIVE WITH IT. GLAD I REFUSED SERVICE IN SE ASIA GOV. NEW WHAT IT WAS DOING GLAD TO STILL BE ALIVE MAYBE I SHOULD  HAVE GONE TO CANADA VETS ARE TREATED POORLY WE ARE NOT GUINEA PIGS  . WHERE DO WE TURN? THESE BUGS HAVE BEEN IN ME 45 YEARS.         BROOKLYN1948
USMC 1961-1966.

If you weren't there. you don't know!

We received a round of booster shots every time we "mounted out'. That was at least 2 times a year. They consisted of 2 to 5 different vaccines, for example: Tetanus-diphtheria, Yellow Fever, Typhoid, Polio, Cholera or Plague shots. Occasionally we got Adenovirus shots too. I filled up 2 "shot cards" (military vaccination records) in 5 years.

The shots were originally given with needles which were supposedly sterilized and then reused. We passed through a gauntlet of Navy Corpsmen receiving injection in both arms.

I can remember getting 5 different injections at one time when they switched to the air guns. Most guys DIDN"T FLINCH!

It was the Navy Corpsman who were careless and didn't place the gun flat against your arm. It didn't hurt when properly done but if it wasn't centered and flat it stung like hell!.

They administered vaccinations to a whole company at a time - up to 300 MEN! They were always in a hurry to run us through the lines as fast as possible.  

I remember seeing blood spray several feet from guys arms and most of us had some blood running down our arms.

I've had abnormal liver function results ever since the 1960s. I was eventually diagnosed with Non A Non B Hepatitis. When the definitive test came out in 1992 I was told that I had Hep C and that I would probably need a liver transplant by the time I got to my 60s.

Two and a half years ago I was diagnosed with Stage 4 Diffuse Large B Cell Lymphoma which had spread throughout my chest and abdomen. I've been in remission for almost 2 years now.

There's is a strong link between Hep C and this kind of cancer. In addition to the Hep C, I was stationed at Camp Lejeune, NC on a number of occasions between overseas deployments.

There was ongoing drinking water contamination from 1953 to 1987. The Navy and Marine Corps did a massive coverup of the problem. Anyone who was stationed at Camp Lejeune for at least 30 days during those years and has experienced any of 15 ailments may be eligible for VA health benefits. The Lymphoma I had was one of them.

http://www.benefits.va.gov/COMPENSATION/claims-postservice-exposures-camp_leguene_water.asp

I'm already in the VA system from service connected health issues from the 1960s.

I'm now in the process of trying to get some coverage for Hep C meds. I take 5 different prescriptions related to my Hep C including Xifaxan which is used for treating hepatic encephalopathy. In December my co-payment for Xifaxan was around $66 a month. Now it's $447 a month!

On a positive note, there will be 4-5 new drug cocktails for the treatment of Hep C coming out this year. These are Interferon and Ribavirin free and have very few side effects. So far they seem to have a better than 85% cure rate. Only problem right now is the projected costs of over $150k for a 12 week regimen.

CJ

Another thread
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Hepatitis-C/Military-Veterans/show/82241#post_9836938

FYI For claims  
If anyone is not are aware of this site  
http://www.hcvets.com/

I talked with 2 of my buddies today about JetGun injections. They're both Nam Vets and had the same experiences I did with bleeding and blood splatter.

I got JetGunned probably 3-4 times in 5 years. I never recall seeing the guns or even the men's arms cleaned between usage. Same thing for needle injections.

"Because the jet injector breaks the barrier of the skin, there is a potential that biological material is transferred from one user to the next. Some infectious viruses such as hepatitis B (and C) can be transmitted by less than one millionth of a milliliter so makers of injectors need to ensure there is no cross-contamination between applications. The World Health Organization no longer recommends jet injectors for vaccination due to risks of disease transmission."

List of vaccines administered during the Vietnam era 1964-1973:

Cholera (whole cell), influenza (whole inactivated), measles (live), meningococcal A/C (polysaccharide), plague (whole cell),  poliovirus (live), smallpox (live), tetanus-diphtheria (toxoids), typhoid (whole cell, AKD
or H-P), typhus (whole cell), yellow fever (live)

CJ
I was in the AF from 1971-1974.  I started going to the VA in 2011. they did some blood work and I came back positive for Hep C.  When I went to see the Liver specialist, it struck me as kind of strange when he said,  oh yea, you've had Hep C for 40 years.  40 years ago I was 23 and in the AF.  I think they know something and they're being hush, hush about it!
I agree with you rocketguy. They don't want the ugly truth of how the military spread hep C to millions to become common knowledge.
I was a flyer in the USAF and got mine in 89 / 90 Desert Storm from a Gamma Globulin (whole) shot (hep A&B protection) Prior to 1993 they didn't check for Hep C since it was only known as non A/B.
Lot of Vietnam era Vets got it through shots / some of the recreational things that were going on / riding in an open helo with someone that was wounded and had hep C could even spread it / the jet guns were notorious because they didn't clean the damn things from the blood and air would just keep pushing it in to others so one infected person could infect a bunch
It seems that the Military and VA are doing the same thing with Hep C as they did with Agent Orange... Deny, deny, deny the connection but when the barrels of the smoking guns turn red, quietly start treating veterans.

They're now treating Hep C patients but primarily with Interferon plus Ribaviran and they just added Gilead's new Direct Acting Antiviral Sovaidi (the $1000 a tablet stuff).

By the end of the year or early 2015 they will stop blood letting/ leeches (nterferon and Ribaviran) and switch to DAAs (Direct Acting Antivirals).

I'm probably going to get back doored into a SC disability because of the Camp Lejeune, NC Drinking Water Contamination program.

http://benefits.va.gov/compensation/claims-postservice-exposures-camp_lejeune_water.asp

I was stationed at Camp Lejuene, NC for a total of 18 months on 4 different occasions between 1962 and 1966.

The Marine Corp knew about the contaminated water but did a cover up for years. The Navy stepped in and continued the coverup.

It's finally recognized by the VA and is in the same category as Agent Orange and Radiation Exposure.

They're still jacking applicants around though with a 92% denial rate for benefits. Currently you have to have one of 15 specific conditions.

I have two of them, Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma and the other day I was diagnosed with probable bladder cancer.... 50 years after the exposure!  

I turned in my application for disability this week.

I have to say, the VA system is radically better than it was in the 60s and 70s. Thanks in part to our brethren from the conflicts in SW Asia.

CJ
Trying to build a case...

Looking for folks who received immunization shots via hypodermic needles - not jet-guns.

I received over 40 immunizations in the Marines between 1961 and 1966. Most of the time the the corpsman reused the same needles and drug vials over and over again.

Does anyone else remember that?

CJ
Only remember the air-injection guns

Was this site helpful for you? http://www.hcvets.com/
Did you get any help from any of the veterans organization for your application for disability?  Best of luck and with your most likely appeals.. Paper work has to be complete and detailed

i get medical treatment at the VA because of low income. Didn't have any service connected reasons.   Acquired HCV about 12 years after
GT2 F3/F4 and was lucky to start SOV/RBV 2 days ago.

go to HCVets.com    there is a guy that got comped for his c . it's called biologically plauseable.
Hi, I was in the service from 55 to 57 I was state side, I don't remember which method was used, but do remember getting lots of injections. I recently went to an allergist after taking the test for allergies, which I had none, I had a rash and the doctor had some blood drawn, when the test came back I found out I had the Hep C virus. I made an appointment to see a specialist  in HepC, after going through all the ways of getting the virus, He asked me about the years I was in the service ( he was an old Army doctor) He told me, chances are that's where I got the virus. This doctor happens to be one of those doctors that worked with all the medicines they try to cure the virus. I am waiting to be approved for the new drug that you take one pill a day for 8-12 weeks 95% get "cured" from this new drug. How many were in the Army in 55-57 also have HepC?
Thank you
IAMMAC
I have been saying that I got hepatitis from the Jetgun vaccinations too. I had it done in 1974 and saw so much blood and not once did they clean the gun or the arms of people. I also said 'yeah right try to prove it'. Its the only way I can think of how I got it. After all when you join the service you are just gov't property for them to do what they please.
And I am a female.
I know this is maybe old, but I too was infected with Hep C because of the air guns that the military used.  I have never used any IV drugs.  My geno type is 3 common to Southeast Asia.  I was in basic training in 1973. How would one prove this? Its impossible the way I see it.
I don't care if I get banned from here but your a very rude jerk. I am one of the women that got hep c from those guns. My mom was a nurse and when I told her the way they did it and how people where bleeding she was shocked. They didn't even go out of there way to line up the gun right . Just went down the line as quick as possible.  Don't forget when you join the service you are no longer human you are just military property to them. Thats what my recruiter said right after I signed the paper to join. I think that's why they offered the testing to all the veterans cause they screwed up and won't admit it. You really need to be a little nicer to your fellow man(woman).
I joined the Air Force in 1974 and they used those guns. Never did drugs or anything else. No transfusions. Never went to Vietnam.
I walked the double airgun line in Air Force basic in May of 1976. I was hospitalized both times.

The first was from my allergy to tetanus vaccines. We were told we were getting a DPT vaccine as well as another I cannot remember. I told my training sergeant of my tetanus vaccine issue and he told me to inform the medic. The medic said, "I'll tell you what you're allergic to", as he shot me with the gun. My arm swelled to body builder size and I had a fever. I was put in the hospital 2 days.

The second airgun shot was a combination flu/swine flu vaccine. I had a fever that evening that caused me to sweat like I was in a sauna. Again, I was hospitalized. This time for 3 days. It turns out that some guys got a possible deadly disorder of the nervous system called Guillain-Barre Syndrome. My immune system has been compromised since that injection almost 40 years ago.

Due to my weak immune system, I had an asthma attack at Homestead AFB about 6 months later. During my 4 year enlistment I got pneumonia twice, as well as contracting a new viral disease - genital Herpes. My research shows the former Homestead AFB to be some sort of toxic waste dump prior to the base being built there. It's on the federal "Superfund" cleanup list. Hell. we used to body surf in the drainage ditches when rained for a long time. That water was contaminated with NUMEROUS toxic substances we were never told about. That poisonous water got into our eyes, ears, nose, etc.

I've recently been diagnosed with asthma, severe obstructive/general sleep apnea, nerve damage on the entire right side of my body. My job required bending and reaching for long periods of time. My L5 vertebra had to have the top and bottom discs replaced in 2012, as they had been totally worn away. I had become weaker each year until a physical exam measured my height at 5' 10". Losing 1.5" of height told me my chronic back pain was more than just age. I've been referred to a disability attorney as all these issues are more than I can handle alone. I cannot be up and about more than 3 hours at a time. After that time, I MUST rest as the nerve damage has taken my energy away.
Proof of air gun transmission finally found 3/20/15.  I sincerely hopes that this helps someone out there, Dee

https://asknod.wordpress.com/2015/03/15/jetguns-when-they-really-found-out-the-truth/
US Navy NTC Boot Camp Orlando FL. I went through 1972 got the auto injection Airgun. one and half year later in Guam was diagnosed at thge Naval Hospital with Hep. Back then they did not separate it just called it Hepatitis. Fast forward to today.. I can not get the VA to treat or any service connection.. deny deny deny.. Because of my service around drugs in SE ASIA (Vietnam) and the fact I got a tattoo, they use that excuse. You would think at some point some law firm would take this on as a class action suit and get all the HEP C veterans help they need, instead of denials and watching them die a slow death untreated.. Anyone hear of any veteran filing any law suit for this?
Have you filed an Appeal through a good, state certified Veterans Service Officer?  You might have to work through the State or National office, BUT, since you are in Florida, your County Service Officer might be one of those that is really really knowledgeable and a bulldog or bulldogess at pursuing claims.

I did that job for approximately 30 years, in FL so I know whereof I speak.

Goof Luck and Blessings!

Pat

After the first round we stood at attention in the hot sun & practically everyone had a line of blood dripping from the little swollen area where the muzzle contacts, even slight cuts. Some had medical reactions that were exposed like allergies or whatever. The recruits that passed out didn't graduate into Marines. Then round two. Even after becoming a Marine we would get nailed by the gun once in a while.
I know exactly where the polluted water well was or is. It was across from my quarters where I stayed for 3 months prior to being shipped out. The overall boot treatment was to **** in the smelly well. Then get hollered at for pissing in the water supply. Trust me it didn't smell like ****. Then pass the bravery test of drinking the well water. After all all it was your own **** right? 3 months, no ****.
Sorry again, I still have a chest.
OK plz quit reporting. Maybe a little depressed.
Keeping on a lighter note, My experiences overall have led me to trust that my sharing on forums like these are taken in stride with the information that users seek while taking into consideration the plights of others as well. There is no doubt that the technology back then for giving mass injections was the norm. Older and wiser now the attitude of this new technology of sharing has its limitations also. I'm just an aging veteran with the ability to relate to the young folks that need not get all uppity about the overall statistics. The boomers can basically say that they caught it. Where? none of them know. Believe in the statistics try not to form a one-sided definite opinion of where. 3.2 million Americans are infected right now. 17,000 new cases are being found each year.Old timers that have Hep c fit into several categories. Each is their coping mechanism. But all of the definite considerations of where they contracted it are out the window after learning the multiple ways of doing so. Primarily after finding infected mothers during pregnancy could have did it. If you weren't an intervenes drug user, then you know that you caught it somewhere else. Blood transfusions before 1992, or some other way. Most can narrow it down to several rare occurrences but no definite answer. Thank you for letting this new technology help me relate to all, the potential of the new drug, that most can receive and be cured. Remember the people who were sick when we were growing up and realize that they died young of cirrhosis of the liver. Which was a common disease to die from back then for some types. Now in all reality it was most likely Hep c, the same disease that is being cured today.
I hear ya ceejay, you know all those old timers. Fit as a fiddle when you signed up. Then 20 or 40 more years of unknown illnesses that cant be definitively nailed down as the source of infection or whatever else that's ailing them. I know veterans with close to 15 different circumstances that could put them near a potential opinion. But to no avail. It only takes one. Thanks for the info. I hope they're taking care of ya.
I was in Fort Dix in 1976 and got the shot by air gun and came down with Guillain-Barre Syndrome and have Hep C with a life long battle with other neurological problems as well. 60 Minutes Segment in 1979 with Mike Wallace > https://youtu.be/8elE7Ct1jWw

A Pioneer Qui Tam Relator on Youtube
I was in the Army 85-89 and HepC was discovered in 88.
I have HepC which was Dias ousted in 1988 while in the Army. If I recall the vaccine air gun was used on me also when I joined in 1985.

This is an old thread started in 2010. If you would like to ask a question about hep c please go to the top right of the page and select the post a question link and ask away.

Are you seeking treatment with the recently approved meds? It is not that important how you got hep c the important ant thing is to be treated and cured the new meds make that possible

Good luck
Lynn
My husband took the medicine Harvoni... and it cured him..
I enlisted in 1967.  At Ft Polk, I was shot 4-5, maybe 6 times with air guns.  At Present I do have hepititus, a carrier but not contagious.  
They give us shots like this at Fort Jackson 1989. Since then I have been diagnosed with hep c. Did 12 was stint of harvoni. Luckily im cured. Just curious if this is where I contracted it. Since I never used needles of any kind. Except through a doctor. Left puzzled
jetinfectors.com has information on the risks of military jet injections