Hepatitis C Community
Hep C-the uninsurable...?

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Hep C-the uninsurable...?

I know this is an old, OLD thread, but I am hoping that somewhere down the line, someone was able to get life insurance after being diagnosed.  My husband has been and his doctor says that he should get coverage under a term life policy as soon as he can.  

I cannot seem to find anyone who is even willing talk to him.  He feels like such an outcast and thoroughly depressed over the whole thing.

Has anyone had any luck?
I think maybe there was one person who said that they were doing it but honestly, the odds are not good.  At best you'd have to pay a ton for it most likely.  Insurance companies seem to like to pretend we are only in remission and not cured. I don't believe he can get it though if he is not cured.....and the antibodies will always be present to be a tattletale on us.

I'd like to find out otherwise though - as a single mom I really could use it myself.

Tell your husband to come on in and read some posts - we all mostly felt like outcasts when we found out we had the disease.  But in here heck everybody understands exactly how he's feeling.  

Without this forum I never would have made it through treatment - I would have given up sitting in my room isolated from the world.  But these guys wouldn't let me. As much as I wanted to drown they kept throwing me that life preserver.  Now we're all in the boat together.

IS your husband on a good antidepressent? They can help a lot. I was on one for the whole course of treatment (72 weeks) and a bit after. I think it saved my life too.

Good luck.
We get on together.  He has this overwhelming allergy to computers and technology, haha!  We actually started a local support group in our area and he is ver committed to it.  Currently he is waiting to be listed for transplant.