Hepatitis C Community
Hep C window period

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Hep C window period

What is the conclusive window period for Hep C?  Could this be affected by coinfection is someone is concerned about HIV too?  Work exposure has me worried.  So far at 3 mos, Hep C and HIV are neg.  I just need some educated thoughts and support.
A three month neg for Hiv and Hep C is VERY reliable.  For TOTAL peace of mind, test again at 6 months.  When that test is neg, you are home free.  Then stop testing and move on with life.

I am 99% sure you are neg.  Testing pos after a three month neg is very rare.

thanks for the help.  i have read 3 mos is pretty darn conclusive regarding hiv, but i wasn't sure about hep c.
I was already positive around the 3 month mark, my liver enzymes were already very elevated (I got acute symptoms). It is looking good for you re the Hep C - good luck!
thanks, i certainly appreciate ur thoughts and wish the best for you.
Do you have any symptoms for hep C?  Joint pain,stomach pain, dark urine or light stool color are common symptoms.

If you dont have any of these plus a three month neg antibody test, i would say you are home free.
well, i have experience some stomach irritation (nausea), heartburn too sometimes, and my belly was crampy for at least a week.  This was around 11 wks post exp.  I have a LFT and evreything was normal.  At 12 weeks I had an ultrasound of my liver, gbladder, etc...everything was normal.  My 13 week HCV antibody test was neg.

I've experience IBS and GERD in the past and I'm wondering if my symptoms are from this.  My urine color is normal and stool looks normal too.  My doc thought if my symptoms were from my liver the LFT would have been elevated and they were very normal.
With a thirteen week neg antibody test and normal level of ast/alt and no symptoms, the chances of you testing pos for Hcv now would be comparable to finding a needle in the haystack.

If you want to worry about something, worry about being hit by lightning, getting run over by a bus or winning the lottery.

Hcv is NOT something for you to worry about. (nor Hiv, for that matter)  Please, do yourself a favor, put this behind you and move on with life.  Don't become a 'worried well.'
I will try.  It seems like ever since I had an "exposure" at work I have been really in tune with everything.  If you don't mind, tell me if I'm going crazy based on this mild concern.

On friday I went to my ENT doc to get an allergy test.  During the test the guy that was performing it would grab fresh needles, stick them in the allergen vials, and then put gloves on.  He grabs an alcohol soaked cotton ball in one hand and cleans off my shoulder as he is injecting these small amounts of allegens just beneath the skin causing some bleeding. They put in a row of 12 and then wait 10 min to see how it reacts.  Well, after the first row he took off his gloves and noticed I was bleeding a little still so he grabbed an alcohol cotton ball and wiped my arm w/out gloves on.  Then within a few minutes he would rub over these little bumps w/out gloves on.  I just got punctured by a needle and he is touching these areas.  Clearly this is an opening in my skin.  I don't know if he has any cuts on his fingers on anything infectious on his hands.  He could've touched infectious equipment earlier of have something himself.  I really thought it was bad form...for his sake as well as mine.  I did notice he had a bandaid on his one finger so he must have been cut in that spot.  In addition, he used a measuring ruler to measure the size of the bumps.  I don't know if this was used on someone else.  Could it be infectious just sitting on the desk..  This happened more than once and I felt like saying something.

Lastly, while I was there I saw the ENT doc because I do suffer from some heartburn.  They use a office scope to exam the sinues, throat, etc.  I'm sure this scope is cleaned properly and I don't want to question everything.  The doc entered the room and cleaned her hands.  He assistant came in w/ the scope and touched the end that goes into my nose and throat to use a defogger on the end/camera.  Why wouldn't she be wearing gloves and why wouldn't the doc wear gloves because she touched the scope too.  Hopefully the assistant cleans her hands regularly too???  Maybe I'm worrying about highly unlikely situations but it just bugs me.  

Do you think there is any risk of HIV, HCV, etc from these situations I described?
Sorry for the long message...
does anyone have any thoughts regarding the last post i wrote.  is there any risk based on what i described.  i have been a worried about things a lot lately and need some educated opinions

thx
If you want to worry about something, worry about being hit by lightning, getting run over by a train or winning the lottery.  Something that is possible.

You will make yourself crazy worrying about a possible Hiv/hep infection from what you describe.  FORGET about it and move on.