Hepatitis C Community
Hep c - liver biopsy

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Hep c - liver biopsy

Here are my liver biopsy results. Hope someone can tell me what stage this is. I don't remember the doctor telling me.

.Portal inflammation with focal piecemeal necrosis - grade 2/4

.Lobuler inflammation with frocal necrosis - grade 2/4

.Portal fibrosis - grade 1/4

.Minimum steatosis

. No stainable iron

The liver biopsy shows that there are 3 portal tracts which are expanded by a limphocyctic infiltrate with focal extension to the limiting plate with piecemeal necrosis. There is also a patchy lobular inflammation with associated necrosis. Macrovescicular steatosis involves less than 5% of the parenchyma. The trichrome stain highlighes enlarged and fibrotic portal tracts. Therer is no stainable iron by Prussion blue stain.

There it is...hope someone can decipher.

It's really hard to know if you should live your live thing about this every day, wondering when things will get bad, wondering if they will find a cure for those of us who have been not had success with interferon. Is time on our side, or what?
did you get to  call the pathologist as suggested on 5/31 when you posted this question?  It is the pathologist who stages and grades the sample, no one here can really give you the actual stage, only a broad guess. Please call the patholgist or your GI. The report should have the stage, usually at the beginning of the report. If not, ask your dr. It could be stage 2, but we are only guessing.
I see my gasto next week (for something non related-one of those tests you have to do once in a while when you're over 50.),  I hope to be able to ask him then.

On my biopsy where you used the word grade mine indicated stage. The second # would be out of 4 stages, stage 4 meaning cirrhosis. You definitely need your dr. to decipher this as I've seen different Drs. record and read these results differently. To me it appears you are between stage 1 and 2. The steatosis means fatty liver which is something you'll also want to talk about with your doc.   Good Luck
i think you should not waist your time with the gastrointerologist if he is not giving you more info or taking it seriously...i think i would march this on into the closest hepatologist and not fool around with the gastro...it sounds like you have something going on with your portal veins too...

you will need a nutritionist/great food plan to help you with the fatty liver. are you overweight at all? hep c can cause fatty liver too though...

let us know what the dr says about damage. sorry about your problem with treatment. have you tried infergen too? what was your treatment course?

i agree with cogareyes on the assesment of damage but there is something going on with the portal tracks too. you should ask the hepatologist to explain the whole report to you in laymen terms and ask for a new treatment plan if possible.
No, I'm not overweight.  Other than 10 lbs which just about every women in her mid 50's battles with.  As a matter of fact I'm trying to lose that right now, getting ready for my Alaskan Cruise.  I also watch what I eat.
persona;;y, I would call the pathologist who did the reading and ask him where he wrote the stage, he might have made an error.
well that's good...the only reason i brought up the diet/weight thing is that sometimes the fatty liver can be helped by eating a low fat diet, excersize and shedding some lbs in order to bring down the BMI and other times it can not.

some folks get fatty liver from the hep c and it has nothing to do with weight at all...

genotype 3 causes more fatty liver than the other genotypes for hep c.

i have fatty liver and have done some research on it and the diet/excersize/lowering bmi is one of the main ways they try to help it. obviously if it is caused soley by the hep c then getting rid of the hepc is the only help there.

there is also fatty liver disease called NASH. Non-Alchoholic Steatosis. and this form of the disease is some times associated with diabetes or weight gain but sometimes they can find no physical reason for it.

if the fatty liver does not go away after clearing hep c then one must try other ways to get rid of it...because it can cause liver damage to "continue" in a fibrotic/cirhotic liver even if the hep c is gone. as it continues to irratate the liver and keep the damage going.

my dr said to me that i have two battles to win, 1) getting rid of the hep c, and 2) getting rid of the fatty liver...but i am overweight so the diet/excersize/lowering bmi is very important for me...but i'm not doing that good at it of course...wish i was. i have lost 50 lbs since starting tx, so that is a great start for me...but i have seemed to platue. there are some articles of interest on fatty liver at this site if your interested.

http://www.natap.org/

or just do a search on "fatty liver" or "NASH". there's a good amount of info on it out there.

i wish for you the best, and my prayers are with you,

sandi

Like others have said, call your doc and find out your stage.

That said, my unprofessional opinion is that it appears you are a stage 1, which is really excellent news. But check with your doc.
Checked with my doctor re my liver biopsy.  He says I'm stage 2.
I thought so, because I am a stage one, and yours sounded a tad worse in the reading department. good luck in what you decide to do, at stage two, I would lean towards getting the bugger out of my system, though.