Hepatitis C Community
Hep c & constipation

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Hep c & constipation

I have hep c & right now I am very constipated. I went to my Doctor yesterday & they took a xray of my belly .They said I am plugged up bad &they gave me lactulose 10g/15ml syrup. I've taken 2 doses & so far its just been water in my stool. what should I do ?  Please Help
  • constapation (14 replies):
    i have been having some really bad constapation this las...[more]
  • digestion (29 replies):
    It seems the farther down tx road I get , I get constipa...[more]
  • Skin Problems (27 replies):
    I was successfully treated for HepC 4 years ago, having ...[more]
I have heard of people on treatment having this problem but not just with HCV.  Sorry I don't think it's very common as most people who hcv dont even know they have it.
You could go get a colonic irrigation treatment to clear out your colon immediately, then take it from there.  Often an adjustment in diet and fluid intake will fix constipation.  If it is persistent, especially if there is any pain or blood, you need to tell your doc who should order a bowel screening for you, but hopefully it won't come to that.  I don't think HCV would be the cause but there are many unknowns about this virus so I wouldn't completely rule it out  either.

dointime        
If they said you are "plugged up bad", you need to relay this problem to them ASAP. I'm not sure if it's HCV related - but it bears a follow-up since it hasn't resolved with the lactulose. Hope it's resolved soon, Pam
oh once i had that problem and asked the pharmasist what to take.  he gave me the stuff that you get before colonoscopy...........let me just say it worked...too well. anyone who has taken that will attest to that fact.
I took one called golightly, someone had a wicked sense of humor to have named a laxative golightly, as you know you do not golightly lol.
ha no i couldnt decide if i had to vomit or go or do both at the same time or just pass out.  i am not looking forward to doing that ever again....... and here i was always afraid of the second part ;)
I had surgery so had to have a clear out, good Lord I was throwing up at both ends finally called my friend who is a nurse and asked her how much more, it was over a gallon she said till I ran clear, I asked her which end lol :)
I would ask your Dr about the constipation or the pharmacist, there are several liquid laxatives that you can drink. My husband had hernia surgery a few years back and ended up severly constipated, called the nurse had to go to pharmacy and get a bottle of laxative and an enema, wish I could remember the name of the liquid laxative, comes in a bottle and different flavors like grape and cherry, husband drank it right down no problems, it was the enema I gave him though that finally did the trick, he was in misery with it, but felt much better the next day.
Do you take any meds??? Pain meds will do it?? I have issues with constipation and eat aleve yogurt every day and benefibre. Was just at my gastro yesterday and I am on treatment. Prune juice is great too
I've gone to my happy place
prune juice!!!!!!!!! Don't do this one, get up in the morning open the icebox , and see a big can of prunes, in there. Shut door , and make a mental note! that the prune can , can be of on good. Set there as you drink your coffee, in wounderment!!! It can not be, why is that can in the refirgerator,No,! noway? Well , IT was and it was empty!!! so whatch the meds that give increse appetite.Oh and,pennut butter , If you open the refirg, and it's in there go right too the prunes.!!!!!!
Fleet