Hepatitis C Community
Hep c

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Hep c

The woman I've been with for eight years recently went for a hep profile test and came back positive for hep c. I immediately went to my doctor to see if I had contracted the virus from her, which my doctor immediately ordered a Hepatitis Profile from quest labs here in the states. The test came back negative for a b and c. He also sent me for a an ultrasound upper abdomen and said everything is fine. But then he said because your exposure to hep c was over a long period of time with her he now wants me to see a Gastroenterology specialist concerning my liver. He said if he thinks we've done enough testing then that will be fine. Why does my doctor not trust the blood tests that came back negative. Is this over kill? What are the chances the liver specialist could find something over the blood test?
  I presume you got the antibody test ? And it came out negative so I don't see the point of further imvestigation since you don't have the virus or never had it.But what I would  do is to inform yourself on what to do to not put yourself at risk to get infected by your partner,mind you the risk are so low but it's always better to be safe then sorry.
"The test came back negative for a b and c. "
---------------------------------------

There is no reason to keep testing for Hepatitis C. You do not have Hepatitis C.

"He also sent me for a an ultrasound upper abdomen and said everything is fine."
---------------------------------------

If you are not having medical problems or symptoms, then there was no need to do the ultrasound. You already had a negative test for Hep C so, unless there is some other problem that you have not mentioned, there was no reason to do an ultrasound. Did the doc tell you why he/she ordered an ultrasound?

"because your exposure to hep c was over a long period of time with her he now wants me to see a Gastroenterology specialist concerning my liver. He said if he thinks we've done enough testing then that will be fine. "
------------------------------------------

Hep C is rarely transmitted through sex. It can happen, but it is not common. There has to be blood to blood transfer, both people need to have open and bleeding cuts/woulds for one person to get Hep C from another during sex. The blood test said you are negative for Hep C. That was really all the testing you needed to determine if you have Hep C.

"Why does my doctor not trust the blood tests that came back negative. Is this over kill?"
----------------------------------

It is unclear why your doctor would refer you to a Gastro concerning your liver. Unless there is something you have not told us, it appears that your doctor does not know that much about Hep C and seems to think you could have Hep C even though your blood test for Hep C is negative. He seems to be unaware that you need to have a positive Hep C blood test in order to have Hep C. If your blood test is negative, then there is no Hep C.

"What are the chances the liver specialist could find something over the blood test? "
------------------------------------

The liver specialist will not find Hep C if you have a negative Hep C blood test.  If you have other symptoms that you have not told us about, or if there is some problem unrelated to Hep C, then the Gastro may find that problem. But whatever the problem, if they find one, it is not related to Hep C because you do not have Hep C. Again, I think your doctor is unfamiliar with Hep C. He seems to be ordering tests right and left just to make sure he covers all of the bases, and he is referring you to the Gastro in case he missed something. But you said the Hep C test was negative and the Ultrasound was fine, so, unless you are having other problems/symptoms, it seems like sending you to the Gastro for "Hep C" is overkill.

"Is this over kill?"

Very much so... Since you don't have it theres nothing to test for. There are many of us here that have had partners for years and have not passed it on...... Best to you and your partner
I didn't see the point either of seeing a liver specialist and I feel just fine. The only thing he said is he wanted to make sure because I was exposed to hep c over a long period (eight years) Now I have to wait another two weeks to get into to see this doctor and like others on here, it sure keeps your anxiety levels up. Thank you dearly for all your answers.
If you were not sharing needles with your girlfriend, do not worry.  Less then 1% chance of transmitting during sex.
I was diagnosed a few years ago.  My husband of over 15 years was shocked and scared like you.  I have never used needles and exposure would have been through sex.
I think your doctor is uneducated to this virus.  His test was neg.  The ultrsound had no prior need indicators and was a waste.  Thank god he didn't sign you up for a liver biopsy.
You are by test, negative for hep c.
I hope your girlfriend has a very good hep doctor and wish you both the best of luck.
  Wow, that sounds like complete "over-killl" and it may be make your girl-friend feel hurt, also.
   Even the CDC clearly states that monogamous couples don't even need to use condoms, after the first year of knowing each-there, if one of them is Hep C positive.
     I think the problem here may be ignorance, on the part of your Primary Care Physician. Even alot of G.I. docotrs dont know much about Hep C, it's Hepatologists who are experts on Hep C.
   I cant understand why he would order you an ultra-sound, after your Hep C test came out negative, it makes no sense at all!
    It almost sounds like stigma. I live in San Francisco, so it is a bit easier here.
wow that really is overkill. Seeing as your girlfriend was recently diagnosed with hep c she would have gotten all the information from the medical community on how to be safe and not transmit the virus to you. Did she not get that info? Did she not tell you? I just thought that she would have already gone over all the literature with you and you would know that less than one percent is contracted from sex. Exposing you to the virus was probably very scary for her and this doc sounds like a nut.probably making her feel like a leper. A neg hep c test is a neg hep c test I doesnt mayyer how long you think u may have been exposed. The doc is very ill informed. Get to know the facts it will help u both feel less anxious. Take care of you and you spouse. healing energy  ivgirl