Hepatitis C Community
HepC/B

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

HepC/B

I tested Reactive to the Hep B Core Antibody and Non-Reactive to the Hep B surface Antigen. I have Hepatitis C.   Does anyone know if being reactive to hep b core will increase the damage to my liver?  My enzymes are in the high range, wondering if having Hep B will make it worse?  Thanks!
Your Hep B results appear to be incomplete.  The results for your surface antigen, surface antibody and core antibody are taken together and give the complete picture.  Your Hep B core antibody being positive only indicates you've been exposed to Hep B at some time.  Your Hep B surface antigen being negative is a good thing.  What was the result for your Hep B surface antibody?
I have made an appointment with the Dr. tomorrow so will ask.  Thank you for letting me know.
Perhaps this will help if you bring this with you, if it's a family physician you've got your appt with tomorrow.

http://www.hepb.org/pdf/understanding_blood_tests.pdf

I had information like that with me when I went for my Hep B test results, having learned that my doctors over the years knew very little about Hep B, so I went for a re-test to clarify my status.  When I got the test results, my FP told me I was positive for Hep B because the surface antibody was positive.  Thankfully, I was able to pull out the information and go over the results with him and he changed his tune.  Good doctor but knew only so much about HBV and HCV.  I was glad I had it with me, or I would have left there reeling twice. Good luck with this.

Trish
Thanks for helping me with this.  I did see my GP, don't see the liver specialist until September of this year.  My GP re-tested and the result came back the opposite of the previous one.

Previously the result was Hep B Surface antibody (HBsAb)  N  332.0 mIU/ml
Anti-HBc (Total):  Non-reactive
Anti-HBs:              Reactive

This time the result came back as:
Hep B Core antibody (HBcAb)             Reactive
Hep B Surface antigen (HBsAg)          Non-Reactive

I had the first test done at the hospital lab and the second done at the Biomedical Lab.

Do you know what this means?  My GP said the lab must have got it wrong but not to be concerned because I don't have the virus now.

Will either result have an effect on my liver with the Hep C?

Thank you, Linda
Nighthawk61 commented on mishymoshymarcy's status
Dee1956 commented on dominosarah's status
Dee1956 commented on CDC Becoming Involved...
Track your weight over time