Hepatitis C Community
HepC tx?

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

HepC tx?

Does anyone know if Blue Card insurance pays for all tx for HepC geno1?  I'm talking about the shield not the cross and it's through the State of CA.  I heard that they're not paying for some off label rescue drugs, so I'd like to know if anyone here has gone that way of payment for tx and your experience.  I'm actually waiting for tx at a clinical trial site, but I've always been a bit leery about passing their screening process, due to health reasons.  The clinical trial I asked for was with the telaprevir, I still hope that it happens but I'd like to have a plan B totally in place just in case.  thank you
-5 Comments Post a Comment
Once again Fret, we are in  the same boat!  

I am worried about the $$ of treatment drugs if I don't get into that same trial. We have BC/BS FL-with good coverage except for prescriptions.  

We just get some type of discount on them.  I am scared to call and ask about drug coverage because I don't to give them a reason to drop me. We are self-employed so I just feel at risk.  

I will say this tho--the price of drugs differs greatly.  Between 3 stores in a 1 mile radius, the price difference varied by as much as $400.00!!!

Thanks for posting this thread.

Isobella
Yeah I was just thinking, you know if I don't get into that trial I'm sure to pay scrills for those bills.  I found out that quite a few of the rescue drugs are off label so mostly any insurance carrier is gonna deny payment on those.  Also the Hmo doctor's are all in cahoots with their bosses, the large Hmo's.  They're all walking the same fine line and doing whatever they're told.  I used to have a doctor who really seemed to give a care, but now I have a regular issue generic doctor.  I mean I'm glad I have insurance that's always a plus, but I wish I knew someone who's gone through tx with exactly the same insurance.  Anyways, I'll be talking to you and we'll share notes again.  take care    
ny bc/bs pays mine anytime i need it..I have ITW  type
I was talking to a friend but his blue card is alot different as it's not a State employee issue.  It's from his employer which is a dental lab and has nothing to do with civil service.  Anyways, I know he needed some rescue drugs and had to pay alot, out of pocket.  I've talked to someone else and I'm good to go, I guess they cover everything needed.  God Bless