Hepatitis C Community
Hepatitis & Face Lifts

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Hepatitis & Face Lifts

Can a woman with hepatitis C have a face lift?
I don't know the answer to that question but my first thought was that the anesthesia given could be stressful on an already compromised liver.

Please check with a Hepatologist (liver specialist) before proceeding...
I don't see a reason why not. I know others that had far more serious operations then cosmetic surgery.

Personally I would fix the inside before the outside. But I'm a guy so what do I know about this kind of stuff :-)

Is there a reason why you are not treating the Hep C?

best of luck
I just saw your new thread. You stated that you have had Hep.C for many years.
It is very likely that you have liver damage as a result and that this surgery will possibly be a risk to your health.
If this plastic surgeon is any good he will run a number of blood tests that will reveal that you have Hep. C and indicate other problems associated with liver damage such as lowered platelets.
I believe at this time cosmetic surgery could be a great risk to your life.
Please see a specialist and deal with your health problems first.
All the best to you
I had Bilateral Inguinal Hernia surgery 3 months before I started treatment. Your surgeon will want a recent set of labs or take his/her own. So yeah, as long as your lab values are stable a surgeon wont have a problem performing the procedure. IMO
But I have to agree with Copyman about fixing the inside before the outside...also IMO. But to each his own...

Yes I was diagnosed years ago, had a biopsy & everything. I know new medications are coming along, but when the liver specialist told me the
side of effects of interferon & rebetrol, better known as rebetron I ran for the
hills, he told me it might cause my hair to fall out, severe depression, I stopped him right there! Told him not to worry about the depression cause once my hair started falling out, the depression was a given. I've taken herbal remedies & my nephew is a pharmacist so he keeps me updated on new meds but so far no go. I just want my face lift that I've been saving for forever. I feel fine, Hep C wise.

Gia305
I appreciate your concern, in fact you sound like you might be nurse. I have an excellent doctor who has performed face lifts, chin implants, etc. with excellent results. If he feels it would be unsafe he wouldn't do it. I haven't gone for my consultation yet, but I'm anxious cause of my condition. You don't know me but if he refused to do it, I might take a chance on a less experienced surgeon, so I hope everything works out for me.

Gia305
Good luck going forward, just keep in mind looking great might not be so cool if you slip into ESLD.
  The main concern that I can think of, would be if your platelets were
lower than normal. The platelets are red blood cells, which help our blood to clot.
   Normal platelets are between 150~400.   If they drop below 50, a person can bleed to death easily. With Hep C, a biopsy has four stages: 1, 2, 3 , and 4 is cirrhosis.
   All cirrhotics have low plateletes. Me, my platelets started getting too low when my biopsy showed me to be only a stage 2, so there are always variations, with the individual person involved.
   If that is a recent pic of you, you look great though.  If your gums arent bleeding alot when you floss, then that is a good sign.
   Right before I began my Treatment, I noticed alot of blood, when I spit after flossing, and also my cuts would also bleed more than usual, and they were slow to heal, and would stay red and infected.
   Only a lab-test and a Doctors advice will do!  good luck Gia

And just to set the record straight, I know quite a few people who have had hepatitis as long as 40 yrs, with drugs and drinking included in their medical history, and when they get their biopsys, they are still, many times, still at stage 0, 1, or 2.
   This first-hand experience of mine, is from observing my fellow Heppers,
at the Hep C Support Group I attend~
   I have also observer many people who have stage 3 or 4, after having Hep for 30~40 yrs. It just really varies, according to a persons' individual immune system. Ifour imune systems fight the virus continually, then inflammation/scar tissue ensues, eventually becoming cirrhosis.
   If our immune-systems are NOT bothered by the Hep C virus, then it lives peacefully within our livers, and the individual will not experience inflammation/scar tissue.
   But after 20 yrs, liver cancer can come around, so keep getting those labs done, I'd say every 6 months after age 50 yrs,instead of just the labs at a yearly physical- word
So many things wrong, but to set the record stright 20 years has nothing to do with getting HCC. It has to do with becoming cirrhotic and which also has no time lines.... Labs after 50 will NOT tell you if you have liver cancer.

Oh my!!!
I too would be more concerned about the status of my liver (exactly what stage of liver damage)than cosmetic surgery. Once your liver damage progresses to Cirrhosis, which it may or may not have already done, the damage is irreversible and the chances of successfully clearing Hep C are reduced. I don't know about the risks of voluntary surgery for Hep C pos vs Hep C beg, but as rivll said, any surgery poses a risk, and those risks are increased when your liver is compromised. Without knowing the current status of your stage of fibrosis, there would be no way I would be able to answer your question as to whether or not having a face lift with Hep C is safe.
Advocate1955
Also, Gia, you can't assume that because you feel fine Hep C wise that your liver is fine. Fibrosis can progress without any symptoms, and a person can develop cirrhosis without any symptoms.
Advocate1955
"Can a woman with hepatitis C have a face lift? "
----------------------------------------

I see no reason why a woman with Hepatitis C cannot have a face lift. There is nothing specific about Hepatitis C that says a woman cannot have a face lift. That is the short response.

Here is the long response:

First: I agree that treating the Hepatitis C would be of far greater concern and importance (to me) than fixing my face (not that I could not use a face lift; I could use one, LOL). The point is, one does not need a perfect face to live, but one does need a functioning liver to live.

Second: Some people progress slowly and others progress rapidly from Stage 0 to Stage 3-4 liver fibrosis. There are many things that affect liver fibrosis progression besides the number of years one has had Hep C.  In addition, Hep C does not live peacefully within our livers. It is a virus. It is systemic. It causes inflammation all over the body, not just in the liver. A person does not have to be symptomatic for the Hep C to be causing havoc in our livers and in our bodies. In addition, liver fibrosis stage does not necessarily correlate with how many symptoms one is having. I am quoting someone else when I say this, "With Hepatitis C you can be floating down the river one minute and going over the waterfall the next minute. With Hepatitis C one never knows where the waterfall is."

Third: It would be advisable to know what your liver fibrosis stage is now (not what it was a few years ago). So a current liver biopsy would be important. Knowing your current liver fibrosis stage would be helpful to both you and your doctors to know if it would be advisable to have surgery or if there could be complications (due to liver function problems). In addition, you would want to have pertinent lab (blood) tests run so that you would know in advance if there was some potential problem (for example, a clotting problem).

As far as surgery goes, most people who have Hep C do not know they have it. People undergo surgery all of the time. Many people with Hep C have surgery before they ever find out they have Hep C. I probably contracted hep C in about 1975. Since then I have had 7 major surgeries, the last one in 2000. I had no problems from surgery. I never knew I had Hep C until 2011. The point is, I had Hep C for 37 years or so. I had 7 major surgeries and no complications. No one had a clue, including me, that I had Hep C. The only problems I can see are those mentioned by the others, possible complications if you have advanced fibrosis. Som it is best to find out what fibrosis stage you are at and then discuss everything with your doctors.

Best of luck.

Thanks for your encouragement. I know most people say fix the inside first, but I feel fine, never been jaundiced & don't want to take the meds. currently available. So what should I do, get a new liver just for the heck of it? I've been wanting a face lift forever & by god, I'm gonna get one. I just hope I get the doctor that I want. He does beautiful work. So thanks again.
Gia, I just need to say again that you can have an advanced stage of fibrosis (scarring) of your liver with absolutely no symptoms, no jaundice, no pain, and no indications in your blood work. As long as the Hep C virus is present in your bloodstream, it silently continues to cause scarring in your liver, without your knowledge unless you have a biopsy. My husband was diagnosed with Hep C and stage 1 fibrosis in 2007. In 2010 he had a second biopsy and had progressed to stage 4 fibrosis (Cirrhosis). He has never had any symptoms related to his Hep C either before he developed Cirrhosis or after. He's never had pain, elevated enzymes, jaundice, swelling, or any other symptom. At this point, the scarring on his liver is irreversible, because it is Cirrhosis, and his Hep C virus is still in his bloodstream and continues to cause progressive scarring to his liver. He continues to have no symptoms, works full time, and feels fine. He is at high risk for developing decompensated cirrhosis (liver not functioning well) or liver cancer sometime soon, because he still has Hep C and now has Cirrhosis, even though he has no symptoms. He is your age.
Advocate1955
Gia- I got a face lift in '09, 2 years before I was dx with hep c. You can get one but it probably won't last very long. I look close to what I looked like BEFORE my face lift. Hep c made my face age very fast. If I would have known I had hep c I would have treated and let my body recover before I did the surgery.

I contracted hep c in 2000. After that my face & body changed dramatically. I looked 10 years older within 2 years. I was dx in 2011 geno type 1a fibrosis stage 3. I sucessfully completed tx 7 months ago & I feel great.

I would rather have a beautiful liver than a beautiful face. You might not have that option if you wait too long to tx.

Good luck to you.

Rhonda

I don't want to give the wrong impression. I was responding to your question, "Can a woman with hepatitis C have a face lift? " The answer would probably be yes, depending on various factors, a woman CAN have a face lift.

However, I do agree with the others that just because you feel great does not mean your liver is doing great. I also agree that getting the Hep C problems fixed before fixing the face would be my priority. I will repeat, one does not need a perfect face to live, but one does need a functioning liver to live. So if it was me, I would get a liver biopsy and appropriate lab and an assessment/exam from a Hepatologist and then decide what to do and when.

I am at Stage 2 liver fibrosis. I discovered I had Hep C in July 2011. I started triple med treatment with Incivek in Sept 2011 (2.5 months after diagnosis). I treated 48 weeks and am still Undetectable 12 weeks after finishing treatment. I have 99.7% chance for cure and will find out in February if I am cured (SVR).

The way in which hepatitis C virus causes liver cancer is not well understood. It is known, however, that cirrhosis from any cause is a risk factor for the development of liver cancer. It has been argued, therefore, that hepatitis C virus, which causes cirrhosis of the liver, is an indirect cause of liver cancer.

On the other hand, there are some chronic hepatitis C virus infected individuals who have liver cancer without cirrhosis. So, it has been suggested that the core (central) protein of hepatitis C virus is the culprit in the development of liver cancer. The core protein itself is thought to impede the natural process of cell death or interfere with the function of a normal tumor suppressor (inhibitor) gene (the p53 gene). The result of these actions is that the liver cells go on living and reproducing without the normal restraints, which is what happens in cancer.
    @can-do: usually HCC is associated with cirrhosis, but not always.
I got that above copy/paste from WEB/MD
     I was just trying to illustrate that not everybody who has had Hep C
for a long long time, will get damage from it.  I have been going to a very large weekly Hep C support group, for well ov er a year now, and there are a few people there, who have had Hep C for over 40 yrs, and are still very healthy: One friend there just had his first biopsy: he conracted Hep C over 40 yrs ago, and his biopsy showed him to have Stage 0, and I mentioned this in my above post, he was also a life long user/drinker. The other two men who I know from this group, one who has had it over 40 yrs, has a biopsy that shows him at Stage 1. The other guy has had it for at least 20 yrs, and he was at Stage 1.
    Of course without a Biopsy, a person wont know what Stage they are at. Although In New Zealand, they use something called a FibroScan to determine liver damage.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-7a_t_dvI998/TgUq67QKrZI/AAAAAAAAAfI/b3f3Q5wfi9w/s1600/Poster+1.jpg
Can-do-man never asked what causes liver cancer or how liver cancer develops. I am sure he is very well versed in Hepatitis C, liver cancer, liver fibrosis, and cirrhosis, as well as most other aspects as they relate to the liver. So I am not sure why that post is directed at Can-do-man. I don't think he needs any explanations for material he already knows.

In fact, his post was correcting some of the misinformation in your previous post. What his post said was this, "to set the record straight 20 years has nothing to do with getting HCC. It has to do with becoming cirrhotic and which also has no time lines.... Labs after 50 will NOT tell you if you have liver cancer."  
"But after 20 yrs, liver cancer can come around, so keep getting those labs done, I'd say every 6 months after age 50 yrs,instead of just the labs at a yearly physical- word"
--------------------------------------------------------

First, anybody that is cirrhotic is at risk for Cancer, I haver never said or heard otherwise. Hep-C or not.

Now what I would like to know is what 20 years has to do with it. Please point me to the link that says after 20 years liver cancer can come around.

What does after age 50 mean? I have always thought no matter ones age if they are cirrhotic they are at risk.

And please tell me what kind of labs will tell you if you have Cancer? See I am cirrhotic and would love to just have labs done instead of Ultrasounds and MRI's done every 6 months as I would save alot of money and time. Oh BTW I no longer have Hep-C but my hepa still insists on these tests.
Very good point, the picture says it all.
  Oh....from MedicineNet:
  What is the sensitivity of AFP for diagnosing liver cancer?

"The sensitivity of AFP for liver cancer is about 60%. In other words, an elevated AFP blood test is seen in about 60% of liver cancer patients. That leaves 40% of patients with liver cancer who have normal AFP levels. Therefore, a normal AFP does not exclude liver cancer. Also, as noted above, an abnormal AFP does not mean that a patient has liver cancer. It is important to note, however, that patients with cirrhosis and an abnormal AFP, despite having no documentable liver cancer, still are at very high risk of developing liver cancer. Thus, any patient with cirrhosis and an elevated AFP, particularly with steadily rising blood levels, will either most likely develop liver cancer or actually already have an undiscovered liver cancer.

An AFP greater than 500 ng/ml is very suggestive of liver cancer. In fact, the blood level of AFP loosely relates to (correlates with) the size of the liver cancer. Finally, in patients with liver cancer and abnormal AFP levels, the AFP may be used as a marker of response to treatment. For example, an elevated AFP is expected to fall to normal in a patient whose liver cancer is successfully removed surgically (resected)"
  Of course, an ultrasound and an MRI also, for people with cirrhosis, like you mention Can-Do, and you would know much more about that then I, thru yr personal experience.
    Unless the OP has symptoms such as low platelets,  or obvious signs of cirrhosis, such as fluid building up in places such as the legs (edema) or the belly (ascites),  bleeding varices, or encepalopathy, then my guess would be that she can precede, with the okay from her Doctor.
   Of course, my personal opinion is that the OP (Gia) should have a biopsy, it is still the Gold Standard. I had a FibroSure test that was inaccurate.  I feel that anybody who has had Hep C for more than 15 yrs, should get a biopsy!!!
   The 20 yr # is used alot, by Doctors, as a statistic as to when extra-hepatic and also hepatic symptoms tend to manifest.  I suppose I could post links, but I dont want us to high-jack this post :)
  Can-do's post stated that HCC has to do with being cirrhotic. So I posted a link, which mentions that a person with Hep C can get HCC, without being cirrhotic~
    I was just warning the OP that Hep C can cause cirrhosis and HCC. it is not a disease to take lightly, and it is a Silent Killer, which rarely shows symptoms, until cirrhosis occurs. Even people with normal blood-work have  discovered that they are cirrhotic,and if they arent decompensated, may still not have any symptoms~
Multiple studies have attempted to measure the time interval from infection to cirrhosis and HCC. Frequently, the initial time of infection is not known, and therefore must be estimated. On the other hand, individuals that contracted HCV through a single blood transfusion or surgery are able to provide more precise time intervals from infection to cirrhosis and HCC. In a longitudinal U.S. study by Tong et al., the mean time of development of cirrhosis was 21 +/- 10 years in chronic post-transfusion hepatitis C patients. [60] Although the mean time to cirrhosis in chronic HCV patients is estimated at 20 years, only 10-20% of patients will actually develop cirrhosis within this time period. [4, 61] In this same study by Tong et al., the time to diagnosis of HCC was 28 +/- 11 years. [60] In a European study by Castells et al., the time to development of cirrhosis and HCC was 24 years and 27 years, respectively. [62] Once cirrhosis is established, HCC develops at an annual rate of 1% to 4%. [52, 56, 57, 63-66] Higher estimates in the range of 5-7% have been reported from Japan. Given the close time range between cirrhosis and HCC, it is imperative to screen for HCC in HCV patients with cirrhosis. In the U.S., Australia, and Europe, liver transplantation is the principle long-term treatment for patients with severely decompensated cirrhosis and/or hepatocellular carcinoma. [3]
Consider treating your HCV a facelift for your liver.  If you are advanced all the face lifts in the world aren't going to help.

I am not sure, however I imagine your last post was a copy and paste of an article or study done,rather than your own synopsis.

Would you please copy and paste the link for this(or those,as you said multiple studies) for our perusal.

I always enjoy readiing raw data.

Thx

Will
---------------------------------

Sorry ...my last post did not help with your question.

I would imagine a cosultation between a hepatologist/gastro and your dermatologist would be advised.

Best ...
Will
There appears to be no point in the rest of us pursuing an attempt to correct the misinformation in your original posts. We are just going in circles. However, I think this is very unfortunate and really quite sad because this forum on MedHelp is a place where people come to attempt to find accurate data about Hep C. What they need is accurate data. What they do NOT need is a lot of misinformation.  
well copyman i agree with you im f 34....i have hep c genotype 1a and im gonna start treatment tomorrow yeahhhhh!!!!!
Wow has this thread derailed or what.

The work you are considering takes as much research as learning about Hepatitis C. I would post on the realself web site or a similar forum or message board. Almost all of them have 'Ask a Doctor' sections where one or more doctors respond to your question within a week or so.

I know how finally having the resources to finance something you have wanted for the longest time can make you want to leap right in but this is truly the time to learn and study especially if you know you are going to have the work done sooner or later (if it is possible).

The problem is finding a doctor willing to perform the procedure knowing you have Hepatitis C. Hepatitis and HIV patients are considered a contraindication in terms of staff exposure. You'd have to research or ask about other absolute &/or relative contraindications for the procedure or work you think you might want so you show up prepared for your assessment and introductory appointments. I am thinking any doctor worth his license would be incredibly weary if you walk in uninformed about where you are with your Hepatitis C (stage, grade, genotype, and proof you have conferred with a Gastro or Hepa to name a few things).

I had a full lift in Bangkok in 2006. Tested positive for HCV in 2000 and probably had it for 30 years. Thai surgeon required full LFTs and had an upper limit for ALTs etc beyond which he would not proceed without biopsy. Surgery went well and I still look about 12 years younger than I am. Made me feel fabulous. I also treated for my HCV 2011-2012 and just found out I've relapsed. Giant poo. I'll treat again if it becomes urgent or a new more effective and less agonizing tx comes on line. I'll have another lift too, if I feel like it. Why not? It's true progression to cirrhosis does not have a reliable time frame, but even so, my readings in the research suggest to me that most cirrhosis caused by HCV occurs 20 years or so after infection, in the absence of other factors such as alcohol abuse, hepato-toxic chemical contact, HIV coinfection, and coinfection with second HCV genotype. I think molecular clock analyses make a pretty good case for the time factor with cirrhosis. HCC related to HCV, however, seems to mostly occur only in a cirrhotic liver environment. But given the general longitudinal factor in HCV related cirrhosis, time is also a factor in HCC.