Hepatitis C Community
Hepatitis A & B Vaccines

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Hepatitis A & B Vaccines

My doc strongly encouraged me to have both Hepatitis A & B Vaccines.  I understand that the vaccines come in combination form which is given as 3 shots, over a period of 6 months.

Did you receive the vaccines before, during or after trt for HVC?  Is there any reason to be concerned about any additional sides or the possibility of it influencing any potential success of trt for HVC?  
My doc also told me it was extremely important to get the A & B vaccinations.  Here's how it went for me.  I had the first combo (A&B together) before I started treatment and I had the last two shots during treatment.  I felt no side effects from the vaccination other than a slightly sore arm.  My doc told me that there wasn't a right or wrong timing in getting the vaccination but it was simply important to get them.

As a side note:  I had the B vaccination about 20 years ago but my initial testing for HCV which included tests for A and B showed that I was not protected from HBV so the vaccination I had 20 years earlier either wore off or didn't take.  My doc also told me that it was fairly important to get a titre run about 6 months after the vaccination series to see if they did "take".  If not, then I would need them get them again.  For some people it takes twice.  I had the titre and it showed the vaccination series did give me protection.
I received my 1st Hep B vaccine before tx, 2nd during tx and 3rd 2 months after I had to discontinue tx. It was approx 2 months between shots.

I was originally dx with Hep A and Hep C so I didn't need the Hep A vaccine. I would listen to what your Dr. is suggesting, I'm sure many on the forum also had to have the vaccinations.

Good luck, Rhonda  

Received A&B vaccines during treatment. No big deal. Just felt a little woozie after one of the injections, but went skydiving anyway...

Magnum
The idea behind getting the vaccinations is that Hep C tx MAY lower your immune system making you susceptible to bacteriological infections. Ideally it should be started b4 tx or at the least in the beginning. Having said that I'm getting the last shot 5 mths after tx ended. Sigh. Well it's still a valuable thing to have done. No sides, except as noted above, a sore arm for a day.
I also had the first combo before I started treatment and had the last two shots during treatment.

Hepatitis B vaccine has the benefit of also being a cancer vaccine.  In fact, it is the first cancer vaccine ever created.  I thought that was pretty cool, when the doctor mentioned it to me.
That was one of the first things both my doc and specialist told me to do was to get the Hep a and b vaccines. Although I have not got them yet, totaly my fault. I really need to make and apt for that after the holliday. I don't have an exact date yet but I'll be starting tx any time now so looks like I'll be getting mine while on tx as well. I had forgot that it's more than a one time shot.
I had no idea that the hep b vaccine was a cancer vaccine as well. That is pretty cool!
Get the vaccinations
It is my understanding that the reason to get the shots is to save your liver from a potential assault from another liver destroying condition.  To get Hepatitis A when you already have C would be potentially catastrophic.  I had already been vaccinated years earlier so didn't need to when diagnosed
Had my first shots couple of weeks ago, Doc suggested them. will have the others during tx, no problem just sore arms.
Thanks all.  I've had good intentions of getting the vaccinces, but it hasn't been on the top of my priority list.  You know how that goes.

As some mentioned, my doc indicated you don't want to get either A or B on top of C.  I guess I needed to hear some assurance that the vaccines won't compromise the potential positive benefits of trt.  And to learn that the Hep B vaccine is a cancer vaccine as well is an added bonus.  I did not know that.  

Hope everyone is having a great Memorial Day weekend.
Hi!  I had my vaccines while on Tx also. No prob and I sure felt a little bit safer.  Hope YOU are enjoying your day, also.
Thanks for reminding me, with starting tx the vac sort of fell to the bottom of my to do list. For some strange reason i'm really dreading it.  Vicki
The shot is also a vaccine against liver  cancer from hep B but wont prevent liver cancer caused from Hep C-just so you know-cindy
The day I was dx with hep C I was told to get the Vacine for A and B. The doctor did not want any more hep for me to deal with. Glad I did, do what the doctor suggest.