Hepatitis AB Vaccine
19 months ago or so, I vaguely remember getting my twinrx injection for my hep ab vaccine.  Then a few months after that they had me come back for a second hep ab shot.  Now today being 7 months post treatment, I went in and had my third hep b shot without the a.  Is this normal?  Is it normally a 2 hep a shots and 3 hep b's to get vaccinated?  Will I ever have to get one again?

I also had my liver enzymes checked which came back normal.  Which is good.  
Cory, as I remember, the Twinrix vaccine consists of the initial injection, followed by another one month later, and then the final one at six months out. I don’t recall which vaccines were which though.

On a personal note, I did the series twice, but was unable to develop protective antibodies to HBV. Apparently there are a few of us that can’t; I was told use caution, and avoid risky behavior in the future. There’s also immunoglobin available for short-term protection for me.

Bill
I did them at separate times, and it was 2 for A and 3 for B.  Grats on the good enzymes :)
Hi Cory,

Nice to see you.

I remember getting Twinrix at months 0, 1, and 6. So in addition to the starting shots , I received two booster shots of both A and B at month 1 and month 6. I think some people at high risk even get another booster at month 12.

If you got your initial shot 19 months ago, then you should have had your six month booster thirteen months ago, no?

If you don't receive the full series, you may not be fully protected, so I'd check to see if you've developed antibodies.  HBV and HAV pose a greater risk if you have HCV.

Congratulations on your ALT's and AST's. What's your ALT?

And are you keeping up your exercise? I did a race last month and placed in the top half, so I was pretty proud of that.  Next year it's the 26....okay, maybe the 10. :)

Best wishes,

Susan

Thanks for that, Jelise. I wonder why the A isn't given three times? Am I imagining I got three of each?  I can't even remember when I had them but the kids were in high school, so that goes back a-ways. Has something changed in the delivery?
Thanks Bill, It seems as if I was far overdue for that third hep b shot.  How did you know to see if you were unable to develop protective antibodies to HBV?
Portann my exercise seems to have paid off, the nurse said my blood pressure was back to normal.  Yay!  Is it considered getting the full series with the third hep b shot so far out there?  I think my ALT's normal.
Jelise thanks for sharing!
I don’t recall what triggered the testing; for some reason HAV and HBV serology was performed, and one of the HBV immunoglobins was non-reactive. I redid the Twinrix series with the same results, Cory. If you need to know, ask for HAV and HBV serology for confirmation.

Best to you--

Bill

Cory, that is fantastic news about your BP. Mine is so much better post-tx, I'm actually lying to my doc about how little of her meds I'm taking. One of these days, I'm going to have to confess but first I want to see if it really stabilizes.

That's a big gap between boosters and I hope you do what Bill suggested, get the HAV and HBV serology test - with your current HCV, that would be a lousy scenario to come down with either.

Regards and are you planning to have a go with the PI's when they finally (when oh when?) hit the market.

Susan
I had a big gap between my second and third shot too, and when they found out I have hep c, they checked to see if I have antibodies for hep b... didn't have any, so you really need to have that checked if you are in a situation where you could be exposed.

It's great that everything else seems to be doing well for you though,
Diane
I'm just now getting around to finding this thread ; I forgot; I had asked this already. LOLZ Thanks Bill- Planning on scheduling a Dr. appointment soon.

portann- Yes-I am waiting on the PI's, it may take a while before it happens.

Diane12855-  It seems as if several members vaccines didn't "take", it's smart to get tested to see if it "worked."  I believe CDC states the vaccine lasts 20 years.  
Hi Cory,

Good idea to check if the vaccine 'took'. I never thought of that. I know my tetanus shot (ten years?) is long, long overdue but I keep forgetting to schedule it.

So how do you do that? Just re-run the HBV and HAV antibody tests?
Hey Susan-

I'm not quite sure; but I think there's a test to check for antibodies for hbv/hav.  I haven't done it yet, getting ready to.  I'll let you know after.  

My mom remembered when I'd done my tetanus, and other testing.