Hepatitis C Community
Hepatitis C - SGPT is high

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Hepatitis C - SGPT is high

I am suffering from Hepatitis C and Taking injections(Pegasus)  from 7 months.
During reports i have observed that My SGPT is high upto 63.

Is there any problem or it raises due to the Injections or what medicine should i used to lay it down.
Doctor didn't advice any medicine might be he didn't check the reports.
ALT or SGPT is a liver function test, Hepatitis C will cause it to rise. Sense you are treating that is the only medicine you need... Just so you know yours is not that much out of range......... Best to you.

ALT Blood Test

ALT (SGPT) A Liver Function Test

The ALT (SGPT) blood test is one that measures the levels of the liver enzyme alanine transaminase (ALT) in the bloodstream. Liver enzymes are generally contained in the cells of the liver; however there are a number of diseases and conditions that cause them to spill from the liver into the bloodstream. Through blood testing doctors can determine the type of enzymes, make a diagnosis and determine the need for any additional testing. In essence, the ALT blood test evaluates how well your liver is working. The ALT test was formerly called serum glutamic pyruvic transaminase (SGPT).

Who Should Have ALT (SGPT) Blood Tests

Individuals that have suspected liver disease or injury should have the ALT blood testing series. Those taking certain medications should also have frequent blood testing for monitoring purposes. Some of the medications that can cause elevated enzymes are Aspirin, Tylenol, Ibuprofen, Diclofenac, Phenylbutazone, Dilantin, Depakote and certain antibiotics. While an elevated enzyme level does not indicate liver disease it can be a marker, allowing physicians to monitor the individuals health closely. The ALT (SGPT) blood test is also recommended for those with viral Hepatitis A and B, those with fatty liver, Diabetes or morbidly obese.

Normal Range For The ALT Blood Testing

Normal range for the ALT (SGPT) blood test is between 5 and 60 IU/L. It is not uncommon for the levels to fluctuate over time, both rising and lowering. Those that have abnormal ranges, either high or low might need additional blood tests or other screening to determine the cause. It is important to monitor these enzymes, especially in those that take frequent medication or suffer from diseases such as Hepatitis or Diabetes. This blood test can also be used to monitor liver disease, progression and responses to treatment.]]>

http://www.bloodtest.org/pages/blood-test-info-test-list-by-category-liver-testing-alt-blood-test
Can-do has given you excellent advice.
In my case the tx itself cause my numbers to go up.  I was told that was normal.  I assumed it was due to the liver processing the tx

Good luck :)
Thanks to All