Hepatitis C Community
Hepatitis C Antibodies
About This Community:

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Hepatitis C Antibodies

Eight years ago I gave blood and found out that I had Hepatitis C Antibodies.  Since that time I have had blood work every year to make sure that my liver enzyme count and PCR test work was satisfactory.  Every year I have been told that I am undetectable.

My questions are...

A)  If I have Hepatitis C Antibodies why can't I give blood?
B)  When I am a sexual relationship what are the chances that my partner could get it?  
C)  Can I ever have full blown Hepatitis C?
D)  If I get pregnant can I give it to my child?
E)  I have never done IV drugs, worked in healthcare industry how could I have gotten this?

I have never felt like I fully understand Hepatitis C Antibodies.  Any information you can give me so that I can better understand it and explain it to people that I get involved with sexually would be extremely helpful.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to answer my questions.
Related Discussions
5 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
I have a different kind of liver disease so I'll not try to answer directly to your questions. others will.
meanwhile, take a trip around the web and you'll find plenty of info.
a great starting site can be:

http://janis7hepc.com/index.htm

all the best to you
Blank
having hcv antibodies does not mean that you have hep c. If your PCR is a very sensitive one down to 5iu/ml and it has been negative for years, you do not have hep c, can not transmit it to anyone and can not "activate" anything. The virus is not there, only your body's reaction to it(antibodies). If the PCR was not sensitive, then you might have a very low viral load and shoud get a more sensitive test, a very sensitive qualitative test. if it is negative, quit worrying.
Blood banks are very selective and anything positve, be it hep or tuberculosis, will keep them away from your blood. don't fret it.
Blank
thank you, the problem that i have encountered with searching on the web is that there is not a lot of information regarding hepatitis c ANTIBODIES.  i am going to keep trying!
Blank
my husband gave blood all the time but after we found out I had hep c they will not let him give blood anymore even thought he's okay
Linda
Blank
Poyson,,,You may have been one of the lucky ones that cleared the disease on your own but you will always have the antibodies so therefore,,,,they will never accept your blood.  As long as you have no viral count,,,you are hep free though and would not be able to pass on to anyone... Good Luck

Linda,,,I have heard others say that before,,,if spouse is positive,,,then the other can't donate blood either.  Amazing huh? Can't figure it out..
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Hepatitis C Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank