Hepatitis C Community
Hepatitis C Antibody

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Hepatitis C Antibody

My husband just got turned down for life insurance due to blood work saying he has Hepatitis.  On the blood work it says Hepatitis C Antibody.  Does that mean he has Hepatitis C?  Can you have it and feel healthy?
Does that mean he has Hepatitis C?  
- No, he needs further testing to determine if he is chronically infected. The antibody test only indicates that he was exposed to the virus but his immune system may have been able to kill the virus.
He should see his doctor and get the appropriate testing performed. If he is not infected, he can notify the life insurance company and present the evidence that he is not infected. If he is infected he can discuss treating his hepatitis.

Can you have it and feel healthy?
- Yes. Most people with hepatitis C have no symptoms and are unaware that they are infected with the virus.

Good luck to your husband.

Hector
Hi there are two tests, the first one is the one that lets you know you have been exposed to it, the antibody.  Then there is the second test which tells you if you actually have it, the viral load.  My doctor mentioned 25% of  people clear on their own.
I know someone will come along with the names of the tests however I did not want to leave you hanging, and I don't want to use the wrong word for the second test. It has happened here before, wish you the best
Dee
Does that mean he has Hepatitis C?  

Can you have it and feel healthy?

Good luck to your husband.

Hector
Thank you both so much for the replys.  He had been vaccinated for all of the hepititis (hepatitis) issues (3 different times in his life) due to working in different health facilities.  The last vaccine for Hep. C I think was 3 years ago.  I question if that could explain the antibodies.  Again I want to say THANK YOU both very much.  :-)
There is no vaccine to protect against hep c, if he has antibodies it means at some point he has been exposed to hep c, he needs futher testing to determine if he has an active infection or not.
There is no such thing as a hepatitis C vaccine. There are only vaccines for hepatitis A and B. Your husband needs an HCV/RNA test. If they find virus with that test than your hubby does have hepatitis C. If they don't find it, your husband may have fought it off as Hector told you or it may be a false positive antibody test.
As the others suggest, your husband **really** needs the HCV/RNA test to determine if he in fact has HCV or not.

It may seem as if your husband has had several vaccinations because the Hepatitis B Vaccine is administered in three doses. The second Injection is given at least one month after the first dose and the third injection is given six months after the first dose.
I have heard that if you have been exposed to HCV, you might as well forget getting life insurance...

Hector...do you think if you have cleared the virus, that insurance companies will consider you again?  I just gave up on ever having life insurance cause I thought I would always be denied.
I've been SVR for five or six years and as far as I know I'll always carry the antibodies and am considered a chronic carrier....they should change the rules but I think really what it is is they figure we have liver damage and dont want to touch us because of that.

Again thank you all.  He is going to be tested on 4-25.  Then the doctor is going to give the results to the life insurance company.  He's worked in a lot of medical facilities over a lot of years, so he could have picked it up and not known it.  Sigh.  Fingers crossed on the test and the life insurance.  He is not a happy camper and yes they should change the role on that. Again thank you all so very much.  I'll keep you all posted on the end result.