Hepatitis C Community
Hepatitis C Blood Panel

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Hepatitis C Blood Panel

I went to the doctor yesterday for my blood work results and he told me that I tested positive for Hepatitis C. I was tested by the Hepatitis Panel, Acute w/reflex. The lab work says that the Hepatitis C Antibody is reactive with a signal to cut-off of  reactive 3.11 H and non-reactive <1.00. I found that the signal-to-cutoff ratio is (<3.8) to test positive. My blood work also states that my test is reactive with a low s/co rato and the CDC recommends supplemental testing. Research from the internet has told me that usually people who have a low signal to cut off ratio are normally false positives. Is this correct?
What your doctor should have said is that you tested positive for the Hepatitis C ANTIBODY, not the virus. Big difference. Yes, like the report says, you'll need an additional test to see if you have the actual virus or not. It's a viral load test, sometimes called a "PCR" test. Try not to worry too much until you get the results of your PCR test.

All the best,

-- Jim
Yes you need a pcr.

I hope you don't have it but if you do - know that it's not the worst thing in the world to have so if you used up your "I have a disease" card...this isn't a bad one to use it on ;)
yes the info and support is fantastic on this sight.you folks are very helpful and it is appreciated.I dont know why no one told me that all I took was anj antibody test that I took a year ago...the nurses and doctors told me that I tested positive for hepatitis C, come to find out today when I went to get a viral load test they told its possible that I dont even have hepatitis C.I definitely have had symptoms since the year 2000 but the symptoms started after I fell from scaffoling and landed over a sawhorse on my stomach...my feet and hands werent touching the ground when I landed, anyway now Im wondering if Ive got permanent damage to my liver or bioducts from that fall...Iguess Ill know more in a week.
thanks
Billy
Like NYGirl stated, I  hope you don't have it but its not the end of the world if you do.  Just come back as there is a lot of support here.  You can learn a ton on the virus too.  Get your PCR and see if you are truly positive.  
Ask your Pcp for a Riba test.  this is a very sensitive and specific antibody test for hcv.  If neg, the screening test was false +.