Hepatitis C Community
Hepatitis C Test in STD Panel

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Hepatitis C Test in STD Panel

I have a question about hepatitis C testing.  I had a hepatitis C test as part of a routine STD test in July 2011 that came back as non-reactive (the number being 0.02 with less than 0.80 as non-reactive).  I had another routine test done in August 2012, which also came back as non-reactive, but with a number of 0.10 (same scale).  Any reasoning as to why the number would have changed in a year, or be higher now?  I have had no known exposure, but just curious as to why the number would be higher.  Thanks for any help!
There really is very little difference between .02 and .1   and both fortunately are "non 'reactive (negative) as far as HCV goes  
It is only >1 or even greater that there is suspected HCV present.

This is the "antibodies"test you have had and often this test often cross -reacts" with antibodies to other conditions ..which would explain the differing amount,however of no consequence to having HCV.

best..
Will.
I'm not sure about the tests but 1 of the first thing I read was as you can carry this virus for so long you should not try to rack your brain as to how you where exposed after some months I can tell you of at least a dozen times I could have gotten it from a Dr's visit and unclean instruments to a poke from a used needle I had to pick up off the job site while cleaning so when you where exposed is of no importance
thank you! Any ideas as to what it could cross react with? All other tests in the panel were negative (non reactive) as well, but some had numbers too just all non reactive.