Hepatitis C Community
Hepatitis C Transmission - Dried Blood on Paper?

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Hi All,

I was going through the record of one of our patients (known to be Hep C +), and as I was looking at a page, I noticed some dried blood on it.  I thought that it might be food or drink (our nurses are known to make messes when documenting), so I didn't really think too much of it.  I then noticed it even more on another page, so I washed my hands when I was finished with the record (probably 15 minutes later).  

I then spoke with the nurses, and they confirmed that it was blood - in fact, one had used gloves while handing the record after, but for some reason did not alert anyone else.  

This patient was with us on Thursday and Friday, so the blood wasn't fresh.  I had no new cuts on my hand (a couple of older, healing ones, including a fairly major one from just over a week ago), and I don't think I stuck my fingers in my mouth or anything like that, but I could be mistaken...I guess it's possible I did touch my eyes or something before I realized that it was blood.

Is there a risk here?  Also, what about for HIV?  The patient's HIV status is unknown, but they are an IV drug user and known to have Hep C.

I'm just not sure whether or not I should pursue this with my employer - whether or not I should ask them for testing, etc.  My site director just said that I am 'probably ok' and my supervisor really didn't seem too concerned, but admitted that she isn't totally sure how the virus is transmitted.

Thank you so much for the help.  
You posted the same question in May and received answers. Nothing has changed.
Right as rivil said, your question was answered, no chance of transmission.
You might want to seek help for your anxiety.
Time to  move on.
Sorry for the confusion.  My other question involved me cutting my finger on a chart that had no known blood on it, and this time there was actually a good amount of visible (dried) blood on the paper, but I didn't have any fresh cuts on my hand (but a couple of old ones).

Thanks again!
Self education relieves a lot of worry

http://www.cdc.gov/knowmorehepatitis/LearnMore.htm

http://www.cdc.gov/hepatitis/HCV/PDFs/HepCTesting-Diagnosis.pdf

http://www.cdc.gov/hepatitis/A/aFAQ.htm

http://liverdisease.com/transmissionhcv.html

Have a great day
And if your still worried, get tested.
If you are an employee of health care facility and work directly with patients you need to know infection control policies and procedures and subsequently what to do in your situation.Pls educate yourself to protect yourself and your patients!.If you are administration or just worrying call emloyee health ,they are there for you to help you in confidential matter.Thank you.Good luck!
I am in administration, but we are a small company and we don't have an employee health line.  I reported this to my supervisor, but she doesn't know much about the transmission of bloodbourne pathogens (nor is she very concerned), and my site director has a very laid-back attitude and tells me that I am 'probably ok'.  

I looked at our company policy, and it doesn't really cover this type of situation.  It does state that certain procedures should be followed in the event of percutaneous contact with infectious fluids, or if one has an open wound that comes into contact with them...but my type of situation isn't mentioned.

I'm really just trying to figure out whether or not I should bring this further, or if there really isn't a risk of transmission and my anxiety is just getting the best of me.
Your anxiety is getting the best of you, not sure what you want here... Contact a Doctor!
We've seen your profile that shows your anxiety.
I suggest you post on the anxiety or OCD forum.
Your question has been answered.
Please move on.
Thanks for the replies, everyone.  They have truly helped a lot.  I probably need to go back to my physician to see about new anxiety meds., but at least I know that I'm being irrational right now.