Hepatitis C Community
Hepatitis C Transmission Canker Sore

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Hepatitis C Transmission Canker Sore

Hello guys!

First of all, I apologize if this question will offend someone :(. That is truly not my intention. Here's what I wanted to ask. I recently kissed someone who had tested positive for Hep C a couple of years ago, but has since followed treatment with Interferon and Ribavirin. Post-treatment, he has taken two tests and both were negative (=0) for Hep C. I had a big canker sore on the inside of my lip, and the side of his mouth was chapped pretty badly. He also had a slightly bleeding lip. The kiss was not open mouth and I don't remember touching his bleeding lip with my canker sore. Am I at possible risk for developing Hep C, would you recommend I get tested? Again, I'm sorry if anyone feels offended. I found this article on the internet where they state that even post SVR, chances are you're still contagious. Much health to everyone!
I found this article on the internet where they state that even post SVR, chances are you're still contagious.

Wow I would really love to see this article. Is it possible you may have misunderstood? I am just asking since there is really no such term as  "post SVR." There is "post-treatment" meaning after treatment. And there is "SVR" meaning sustained virological response which means that six months after your friend treated he was still undetectable

When exactly did your friend treat? Actually since your friend treated and has taken two tests, both of which were negative (=0) and he is SVR to boot I am not seeing how he could have possibly transmitted Hepatitis C since the virus is no longer present in his blood.

Based on the sequence of events you present I do not think you were at risk for contracting HCV in this situation.
I think you should be okay. I've accidentally used my bf tooth brush and toe nail clippers and he's been tested. And he's fine.  Your question was not offensive at all.
I would like to see the article, if you can find it.  I consider my SVR to mean CURED. It's difficult to pass a virus you no longer have.
Hello again,

First of all, I would like to thank all of you for the support and for the quick reply! Below I will paste the link to the article that I was talking about.

http://www.med.mun.ca/Medicine/CommunicationsNews/NewsMedicine/May-2009/Hepatitis-C-patients-likely-still-contagious-after.aspx

The thing is...I really like this guy, but I'm also a super hypochondriac. I wouldn't want to ruin a beautiful thing for a stupid virus. I also have a chronic stomach condition which would make treatment very hard for me, so I worry...I guess I'm writing these things to you (again, I apologize if they sound silly or offensive) because I can't really talk to the people around me, since they most likely wouldn't understand my predicament. Not many are educated about Hep C and they're pretty judgmental and mean.

Many, many thanks again!