Hepatitis C Transmission?
Hi everyone.

I live in a house with two parents who are carriers for Hep C. I had a test done at the end of 2011 confirming I had not been exposed to the illness after 21 years of living at the same home as them. However, I have recently developed mysophobia (germaphobia), or a fear of contamination and germs.

My Mom nicked her hand on a broken piece of glass yesterday. Not a very big cut at all. Minimal bleeding (barely any), and afterwards she washed it up and bandaged the scratch.

Thing is, she rolls cigarettes for the family to save us money. I am worried that some of the virus may be left on her fingertips from where it bled and then transferred to the filter/lip of the cigarette. My worry was that I'd then contract it through oral exposure.

Am I being completely irrational? I feel like I am. It'd be nice to hear from a medical professional. Really need something to ease my nerves :\
Blood from an HCV infected person must enter the bloodstream of another,in order for infection to occur.

Also ..there is no data that shows viral contamination can pass via entry of the gastrointestinal tract.

If you are concerned and need to relieve your fears,have another HCV antibodies test done,however the risk given the scenario is  nill(given known data)

best...

Will
That's what my question was asking though. Even though she washed her hands, is it possible for the virus to still be present on them? I wasn't worried about it being passed by swallowing the virus, more so that the filter, where she has touched, would be in close proximity to my gums or parts of my mouth that may have small breaks in the skin.

I mean, are you saying that if someone had inadvertently gotten hepatic blood in  their  mouth, there is no evidence to support that a transmission could occur?

My fear is not of contracting  it myself, but of passing it to another. I know I am virus free as of now, but I don't want  to use those cigarettes if there is a chance of transmission.

Like I said, I believe I am being irrational, I would just like a professional  to  confirm so I can start getting past this germaphobia.
There are some tidbits of good news for you. Many people who have HCV live in household for decades without any risk to other members with much more intimate exhanges than smoking roll-your-owns.  If you concern is greater avoidance you can roll your own rather than relying on mom or quit smoking altogether.  I find it interesting that you have germophobia yet are not phased by the endless litany of nasty stuff in tobacco, not to mention the paper in which they are rolled.  But, the best piece of goods new to take to heart and mind is that HCV is a virus and not a germ and therefore your phobia is misplaced while considering HCV.  
Mysophobia is also a fear of contamination though, one can argue that being infected with a virus is a "contamination".

My fears are acute though, I fear diseases that *can be* life long and transmittable to a partner.

I suppose my main concern is if even after washing her hands and bandaging the cut, if the virus could still be present and transmitted to the filter which will be around my mouth. The cut was in the middle of her finger, but I don't know if any blood reached the finger tips.

Only reason I ask is cause I know HCV can be a hard virus to kill and I am not sure how long it could survive on the skin. I am assuming washing her hands would be enough, but I'd rather be safe and ask.
Your question was answered.
Not really. At its base I am asking where the virus can remain present on intact skin even after washing.
+ 1 rivil
Hep C is a Blood to Blood virus. Think the posters above answered your fears of transmission on rolling papers.

Everyone should wash their hand routinely to avoid Hep A and B... I have paper towel rollers hung on the wall in kitchen and bath.  Will not use hand towels.  Have automatic hand soap dispenser in both rooms too. I am constantly spraying sink areas with vinegar mixture.

So as you see from above, I can sympathize with your problem as I can be a bit of a germaphobe too....it comes and goes for me...more worried about contaminated foods.  God forbid I see a film on how meat products are processed, although I think those films have helped me become vegan. But then just as soon as I am vegetable safe ...ha-ha... some vegetable is contaminated.  But there is contamination everywhere so unless I want to live in a zip lock bag I need to get over it.  

It is hard...I sometimes think that we are too over consumed with germ fears...kids should be able to play outside, get dirty and have fun.  We all did that when we were young.  Germaphobia is real...it can stop a person in their tracks...be unhealthy and stop one from participating in life.  

It is simply a mind over matter.  It is being proactive for yourself.  When you pump gas or use grocery carts be sure not to touch your face, and clean your hands as soon as possible.  My big burly brother who is not a germaphob had a container of hand wipes in his car.  So everyone has their own share of concerns.  Everyone has gotten pretty use to me rewashing my plates & silverware before I eat.  

I don't like eating out...use to enjoy it...sometimes events just happen, I go and everything is fine and I realize how silly I am being.  

Good luck in getting yours under control.  Mind over matter.  You can do it!
so go out and buy your own cigarettes....that was easy
:)
or roll your own.... :-)  it's not that hard 'ya all......... :-)
Maybe use a plastic cig holder....but then you might be worried about HCV blood vapors. I think it's remotely possible you could get HCV this way but I'd say the odds are 1/googol.
Come on guys and gals...Danny looking for answer....Hep C is blood to blood virus.  It would be almost nil to none you could get Hep C from what you described in your original post.

However, if you are still skeptical....do your parents have doctors treating them for their Hep C.  A their doctors and they can help you. Every major city has a center for contagious diseases.  They could also answer your questions.  

You asked if you are being irrational.  Probably.  But that's okay.  The thought of the unknown is scary. The best way to cure that is to start educating yourself and asking questions.  Work on your germaphobia and anxiety issues.  Good luck....
Nothing anyone tells you here will ease your mind. You need to treat your mental disorder. Put all your efforts and worry into getting better.

Best of luck
I have to agree with heart_in_the_keys, besides I have had HepC 27 yrs. now and live with my ex for 25 and our two daughters, they never got HepC from me. Besides you are more likely to Hep A  from a restaurant than you are to get Hep c from your parents by far. Just carry on as you have for years, be careful as you always have.... Have a great day!!
I heard a while back the Hep C virus cannot survive out of a host. ie. once exposed to air it dies.