Hepatitis C Community
Hepatitis C and Menstruation

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Hepatitis C and Menstruation

Hello, my girlfriend has hepatitis C and we had sex.

There was no blood to blood contact, but after we had sex she had her menstrual period. I believe maybe a day before sex it might have strated.

My question is that what are the chances of contracting hep c. Is there a chance that there was some trace of blood or dried blood and it get into contact with my penis.  Even if there was no cuts on my penis, perhaps there were some abrasions or small cuts?
Hi, your chances of getting HCV while having sex are virtually nil unless you have a cut or abrasion on your penis and she is on her period..  One large study of monogamous couples where one partner has HCV and have been together 10+ years showed no transmission of the virus to the other partner.

I was with my boyfriend for 8 years before I knew I had HCV so we took no precautions during sex.  Fortunately he tested negtive, as did my daughter with whom I shared razors and tootbrushes as she was growing up.

That said, it's best to take every precaution you can to protect yourself.  HCV is a blood to blood disease but there are many people who have no idea how they contracted it.  Good luck!

Kittyface
In one of your any threads you said she had the antibodies but was RNA negative. Now you're saying she HAS hcv. Can't be both.  How did you get cuts on your penis?  Is it some self-mutilation thing?  Does she know that you are telling people she has HCV?
Avatar n tn
as  ive already mentioned it is possible to be hcv antibody negative, but rna possitive, re: occult hcv infection, but again both tests can give false results, even with a wound on your shlong unless it was an open wound it is highly unlikely you could be infected. so dont panic, and get your gf retested, if her doc wont do this get another doc.
Juven,

You are asking lots of questions, you can research HepC at the janis site.   www.janis7hepc.com. If she is negative, she doesn't have HepC and you don't have HepC.
PaulaAnn commented on photo
Dee1956 commented on Baking Soda May Reduc...
Dee1956 commented on Jade59's status
Track your weight over time